Cold steel SRK sk5 pros and cons....

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by lonestar1979, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Jackson105

Jackson105

Mar 23, 2020
    I have been using mine to chop down small trees. So far the biggest was about 8 inches in diameter. And I’m talking hardwood(white oak, red oak) not pine. Ive hammered it through pecan and hickory with heavy beating on the tip. I’ve stabbed into a piece of cedar and twisted repeatedly to make a hole. I have not seen any damage whatsoever to the SRK in SK5 All production knives will have a few defective examples.

2. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    Did some testing with my SRK compact in SK-5, including prying and batoning. No issues.

Smiling, DangerZone98 and beestokk like this.
  3. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Holy schmokes, that’s impressive. Looks like it punches above its weight class. Thanks for sharing.

beestokk and Smiling like this.
  4. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    This thread makes me want to baton with my SK-5 Recon Tanto just for testing purposes :D
    As if chopping and hacking stuff with it isn't enough :D

- if it fails I'm covered because I got Warcraft Tanto just for that purpose (I bought it to be replacement if Recon Tanto fails)

5. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    It will not fail. No way. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Smiling likes this.
  6. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    There's only one way to know :D

7. k-shi

k-shi

Nov 12, 2015
    With that rough coating on the SK-5 the SRK´s are cutting bad. Strip the coating and it will cut a lot better. The rest is just fine.

dogstar and Smiling like this.
  8. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I wish it had smooth coating like Warcraft series does.

DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  9. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Well, they gotta cut corners on our budget SK5 knives somewhere hahaha.

beestokk, Smiling and dogstar like this.
  10. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I know, I have the same coating on my SK-5 Recon Tanto and I did notice that it affects cutting performance.
    But it's still an amazing knife for the price :D

beestokk, DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  11. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Paint remover and lots of elbow grease, emery cloth, steel wool, polishing compound ... and patience can get a nice finish and a nice look, with less patience, you can still get a better slicing knife, but one you will have to be more careful about maintenance with to avoid corrosion. Most of my experience with stripping the rough coating had been with Beckers where you can just remove the handle slabs; here, you would have to be very careful about masking off the handle and use a think gel-type paint remover - carefully.

beestokk, dogstar and Smiling like this.
  12. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    They make some of most reliable and best stuff for price,have couple old style voyagers and vaqueros,with just regular lockback,never had one fail,i still use these knives ,and beat the hell out of them.Good heat treat ,solid locks and mostly in normal price range for average consumer.I cant say the same things for most other manufacturers with sub optimal heat treats,overpriced latest supersteels that perform worse than proven stuff that are supported by pple that dont even use their knives.

DangerZone98, beestokk, jux t and 2 others like this.
  13. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Well, that process would be very painful.

Coating has been stripped off near the edge of my SK-5 Recon Tanto, and steel under coating isn't smooth. Steel is actually full of tiny ridges. Literally lines, all paralel and straight. It would take you a while to make a good job smoothing that out.

At the other hand - coating is here for a reason. It's also easier to have to oil just the edges than entire blade.

Is it possible to make smooth finish blade and smooth coating - yes, they've done it on Warcraft series.
    But, Warcraft series costs around $150-$200-$300... depending on a model.

Here, we get a great performing and functional blade for around $50 so I'm OK with cutting some corners here and there.

Also, as you use the knife - coating will smooth out on it's own, and cutting performance will improve with time.

beestokk, DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  14. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    True. At the same time however, I wouldn’t mind losing a lil’ bit of cutting performance for bit more corrosion protection. That’s why I probably won’t remove my Recon Tanto coating anytime soon hehe.

Smiling likes this.
  15. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    It'll get removed on it's own with use so you don't have to worry :D

beestokk and DangerZone98 like this.
  16. JB1964

JB1964

Jul 24, 2006
    The SRK made of SK5 Steel has a hollow grind? I thought SK5 had a saber grind.
    What a grind does the SRK in San Mai and what grind does the SRK in 3V Steel have?

Have there been any changes in recent years?

beestokk and dogstar like this.
  17. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I don’t know about the 3V version (other than I’d like one).

The two SK5 versions I have are both slightly hollow ground. Not as extreme hollowed like a Buck 119, but still noticeable.

JB1964, DangerZone98 and Smiling like this.
  18. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Overall, the SK5 version of the SRK has a saber grind, but the section of the blade from the thick part down to the edge is hollow ground rather than a flat grind. The hollow grind gives it better slicing properties. Cold Steel produced an actual knife, rather than a pry bar vaguely sharpened on one edge. Apparently it makes feather sticks really well.

I've seen some YouTube reviews. The only reported failures have been a couple of tip failures caused by randomly stabbing [the side of] a frozen stump as hard as they could. (Stabbing wood which is not frozen does not seem to be an issue.) I've seen no problems batonning, frozen wood or regular. I'm not much of a survivalist, but I can't envision what survival situation would require randomly stabbing a stump. Especially a frozen one.

19. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    The new Voyagers are good too. Quite happy with my Voyager XL. One-handed deployment is a bit tricky though due to the large handle size.

jux t and Smiling like this.
  20. Bayou Bill

Bayou Bill

Feb 17, 2020
    There's a video that Gideonstactical posted that reviews the 3v version. In the review, he mentions that he called Cold Steel and spoke to someone that said the sk5 will most likely be changed to a flat grind in the future. That was about 8 months ago. Curious to know if this ever happened as it seems like it would be one of those quiet changes companies make to a product.

Smiling, beestokk and DangerZone98 like this.