Coldsteel Sold???

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Harlod, Dec 2, 2020.

1. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Got a question here that more experienced folks might be able to answer? Do you think the Cold Steel knives currently being sold by dealers were manufactured before the company was sold or after? What about CS knives that are currently on back order by dealers (knifecenter is one of them, claiming 7-10 days before shipping)? TIA

2. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    If they ship right away, I’m betting it’d be before. I noticed another member mentioned that the CS knife they bought wouldn’t ship until January, that would have me questioning if I wanted it.

Your Name Goes Here likes this.
  3. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Practically speaking, why would that matter? You think the manufacturing has already changed? Be serious.

leozinho likes this.
  4. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I was/am serious with my question. With the turmoil of the ownership change and old staff let go, it's hard to believe that the production will not be affected negatively, things like delayed turnaround, lowered quality control, etc. I placed an order of AD15 at knifecenter a few days ago without thinking/looking too much and only later realized it's on back order, hence my question above.

Your Name Goes Here likes this.
  5. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Shocking news but hey it's a business after all. Hoping CS products will continue on with the quality and value ive come to expect although i won’t hold my breath. I will be holding onto my favorite models ive acquired and just might be time to get an XL espada as well to add to the collection. We shall
    See what happens to the brand and products in due time.

Edit: just stuffed the XHP code 4 in my pocket btw :thumbsup:
    209756ED-9DE6-46DA-9C02-C9CC6D67EB96.jpeg

6. Chris_Texas

Chris_Texas

Apr 2, 2020
    Before they were sold. As for backorder stuff, some of these knives have been on backorder all year.

7. Chris_Texas

Chris_Texas

Apr 2, 2020
    Who did the engraving. It's very nice!

jbmonkey and Edgeoflife like this.
  8. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Thinking optimistically, maybe we'll see quality levels remain untouched and the disappearance of outlandish, loud, and obnoxious branding on Cold Steel blade faces? One can hope. :)

jbmonkey likes this.
  9. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Thanks! The work was done about a year and a half ago by a fellow on Etsy.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  10. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    prior to lynn selling out id have agreed 100%, now I'm not so sure I won't miss him and his antics.:D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    leozinho likes this.
  11. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Was that meant to read "not" so sure?

jbmonkey likes this.
  12. jlauffer

jlauffer Tempt not the Blade Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    That's how I read it

jbmonkey likes this.
  13. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    yep, I'm the world's worst typer I miss entire words sometimes. I've fixed it now. thanks.

David Mary and jlauffer like this.
  14. jlauffer

jlauffer Tempt not the Blade Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    I work with a guy who does the same thing...always interesting to interpret his emails and texts.:D

15. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s really what i hoped for. CS took a bad turn in 2020 and started becoming Cold Steel Sword and Axe company.
    I really hope they trimmed the stupid stuff, cut down on the XL niche products and start focusing on the tried and true formula.
    One of my biggest criticism towards LCT is that he seems to just wanna make whatever he liked and I actually hoped for a better corporate governance on Lynn and that CS do a bit more market research.
    This is one silver lining with this, assuming GSM would bring in more of the rigors on the market research and tone down all the loud BS(i.e. BROKEN SKULL!!! billboarding on blade). Of course they could always go the Gerber way, but we’ll see.

David Mary likes this.
  16. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Got it. That makes sense, and I agree. I'd rather see Cold Steel continue making the worlds sharpest, strongest knives that are ready any time, anywhere, even if they have to have the word BROKEN SKULL (for example) screaming in your face. ;)

17. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Irony it seems, as I only ready your post after I typed mine above. Hehehe. But who knows what the future holds for them at this point. It does sound pretty sad about all the job losses, especially in today's climate.

insta9ves and jbmonkey like this.
  18. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    Huh, that's what I most appreciated. I can get a thousand knives of the same or better quality that are completely utilitarian with great materials, fit, and ergos. But the CS catalog was always the most fun to browse through. And at the prices of the time I could order most silly things without regret and still get something that wasn't butter knife steel - while also getting a voyager at the same time.

Well, past tense at least.

AF, nephron, The Whip and 2 others like this.
  19. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    Couldn't disagree more ! What the hell is the "tried and true formula"?... boring little wussy knives like virtually every other manufacturer churns out? The attraction of Cold Steel was always the fact that they offered a huge range of products that no one else had the guts or imagination to produce.

20. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, feel free to disagree. But I suspect many more in the knife market agree with me. Enjoy your XL knives while you still can. I won’t miss it for sure. Sorry that hurts your feelings, give your XL knives a hug, you’ll feel better.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.