1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Collins Legitimus 3 1/2 lb Tomahawk

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by trapperdave51, Oct 27, 2017.

1. trapperdave51

trapperdave51

Aug 2, 2015
    I picked up a Collins 3 1/2 lb tomahawk axe head today.Its marked Collins Co. Legitimus 3 1/2 .It is a tomahawk style head with a round back.Never seen this before.Any input?Thanks Dave

2. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    If it's 3-1/2 pounds, it could be a Michigan pattern (instead of the smaller Hudson Bay pattern), similar to the one shown in this thread:

[​IMG]
    photo from LawnFlamingo

3. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    picture please

4. trapperdave51

trapperdave51

Aug 2, 2015
    How do i add pics?

5. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    1. Go here > http://postimages.org
    2. Click "choose images" and click your images
    3. Once it's done loading click the image, then right click it and either "Copy URL" or "Open in new tab" and then copy the text in the address bar
    4. Paste onto here, and put the [ IMG] [ / IMG ] tags around it (remove the spaces between the letters).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  6. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Many of us on here (me for sure) have a hard time trying to imagine a 3 1/2 lb 'tomahawk' of vintage USA manufacture. Pictures are definitely going to help. Double bits may be fearsome-looking but they did have a real purpose.

7. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Could be a 3 1/2 lb trade axe meant for the South American market?

Miller '72, Square_peg and quinton like this.
  8. trapperdave51

trapperdave51

Aug 2, 2015
    I have pics of it on axe collectors face book group.

9. trapperdave51

trapperdave51

Aug 2, 2015
    I think it is a trade axe for the South American market.Biscayne pattern?

quinton likes this.
  10. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    When a round back was mentioned, I though of the rounded poll of a Michigan pattern, but the export axes make more sense.

A couple different types, from a post by Operator1975:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The one on the bottom is exactly what I was picturing, and I do believe they did do these in the legitimus line.

12. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    This particular Legitimus is stamped 4 1/2 lb. That'd be quite the brute for a 5-foot-nothing South American native to be swinging around.

13. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Some of those guys are fireplugs.

14. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
  15. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    40 years ago I watched two 'fireplugs' sawing boards from huge rainforest logs via a two man saw. One lad was underneath in the pit and the other was standing on top of the log. This was beside the Amazon River in Leticia, Amazonas (southern tip of Colombia). They maintained a steady up and down rhythm and produced planks all day long. There wasn't an ounce of fat on either of those two natives. I took lots of pictures but a brazen burglar made off with the camera (and everything else in the guest house) about a week later.
    Still, I'm thinking a 5 foot 120 lb man swinging a 4 1/2 pounder would be like a Pacific NW faller 100 years ago wielding a 6-7 lb double bit.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Square_peg likes this.
  16. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    that's paul bunyan's shorter than we thought

17. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    That's a cool story,300Six,thank you.
    I've that very article as pictured above,the 4 1/2 lbs job,sitting in front of me right now,and this thing Is quite obscenely large...
    There are other instances where the tools grew to be almost unnaturally large-them Brit felling 7,and even 8-pounders,16 and even 20 lbs straight and cross-peins for peining wagon-tires,and some such.Possibly,it's a matter of practice,of developing the right muscles,and overall "knack".

But i've the answer for this puzzle,gents,it's all actually quite simple-coca leaves,of course!:)

300Six and Square_peg like this.
  18. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Here are some axes stamped with the Crown/Fist/Hammer logo, as well as
    COLLINS & CO.
    LEGITIMUS - 3.5 [or 3.0, or 4.0 pounds]

They look like recent production (still being sold), with a "Hachas Nicholson Collins" label complete with barcode and a Samuel Collins signature.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the companies lists the country (of origin, presumably) as Mexico.
    http://gimbelmexicana.com/tienda/catalogos/art/6432

Perhaps those are discontinued labels from Truper, with the new labels looking like this:

[​IMG]

300Six, Square_peg and jake pogg like this.
  19. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Where are your pictures, not everyone uses Facebook, and if you're going to ask us here you need to show the pictures here to us directly.