1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Companies need to start issuing verified third-party HRC tests.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Comeuppance, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Where ever did you get that idea? Cite specific examples, please.

Based on what exactly?

palonej and benchwarmer380 like this.
  2. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    It might not matter in the grand scheme of things but I did want to point out that it is unfortunate that your efforts, academic as they appear to be, have been mixed up in the slew of misconceptions, misguided accusations, and wild leaps to conclusions.

I have no problems with deeper learning, especially in pursuits that might interest any given individual, it is just sad that so many have manipulated those good intentions to serve toxic ends and spread so much misinformation.

orangejoe35 likes this.
  3. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    I very much appreciate where your heart and thoughts are in that.

4. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I'm fine with more data, I just happen to think that's all it is in the technical definition of the term. Data: Raw, unprocessed facts that are fundamentally random and useless until they're properly catalogued and organized. What I want to see more of is information, rather than data, and, IMHO, testing single blades somewhat randomly gives us very little of that.

craytab and Grandmaster like this.
  5. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Government regulation like the FDA with food seems to be our only answer. We can have RC testers traveling the country, conducting tests. Each manufacturer will be required to pass inspections and have a separate office just for the inspectors use when they are there. This should keep everyone happy since we can’t trust the manufacturers much more than we can some random guys on the net.

/rant o_O

palonej and danbot like this.
  6. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I'm officially applying for your position. I have no real qualifications for the job, but am enthusiastic about the opportunity. I look forward to hearing from you regarding a mutually agreeable time for an interview.

Sincerely,

Random Hobbit

7. FiveToes

FiveToes Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    I'm not sure you understand how modern manufacturing works at this point. How do you think they create the baseline that supports 1.5% standard batch testing? What do you think happens when they change tooling? What do you think happens when they restart the line? What do you think happens when 1.5% of your batch fails QA? You don't just flip a switch and knives appear, boxed and ready for shipping. Manufacturers track shrink for a reason.

marrenmiller likes this.
  8. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    You are very welcome to seek out, generate, or provide information as you prefer it to be done. A lot gets lost in writing, so let me add that I say that without any snark or hostility. I love seeing new things come to light, and welcome all of it.

9. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I take it in the spirit in which it's intended. I hope y'all keep doing what you're doing. I just think it has a long way to go before it becomes really useful tool capable of making accurate predictions.

Banter 247 likes this.
  10. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    I agree. We need a lot more to get good sample sizes.

M’lady is done preparing. I’m out for awhile. Happy 4th!

11. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Should we trust hardness values on one-off knives hand-written by custom makers on those cards???

12. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    If the maker has a reputation for hitting their goals, then yes. If they are saying "tested to" and providing evidence, then sure, pay the piper. I think that the chance of knives getting caught out means that it will keep honest guys honest, and the cheats will still fly by night. But if the expectation is that each knife is independently tested, then be prepared for the added costs.

I'm reminded of a couple years ago a guy came in to complain about a custom Winkler that he had bought and it was very sub-par. Pretty mad about it because he was the fourth or so owner (Going from memory so probably all wrong) but the first to use it. Spent a lot apparently. Someone mentions that a bad batch had gone out, been found out, but not all the knives had been replaced. Turns out this was the last or second to last bad blade in circulation. They fixed him up right away as soon as the problem was found. Now this is a bit of an odd case, the knives hadn't gotten final heat treat, so they were dead soft. Not the case of 2-3 points from spec. Point is, a reputable company maintained their reputation by actively working to hunt down the bad blades and get them replaced.

I think what is more important is a good understanding at this level of the hobby of expectation and marketing departments both giving us the info we want, but also selling knives. We need to be understanding that an HRC number and and alloy is still not enough info to decide from spec what a knife should preform at. Blade steel choices are complex, some guys are just going to want a certain alloy, a maker might get the best out of an alloy, or a use condition might demand an alloy. I like more info than less, but I also think that we need to acknowledge that just raw data isn't always enough. Sometimes we ask for things without realizing that we are holding a monkey's paw.

benchwarmer380 and danbot like this.
  13. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    What's that supposed to mean? Care to clarify or expound? o_O

14. halflife78

halflife78 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2016
    I just read this thread from beginning to end and I honestly forgot what the thread was really about by the time I got to the end.

15. CoryMc

CoryMc Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 3, 2016
    This whole thing feels like a solution looking for a problem.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  16. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    More like a problem looking for a bigger problem.

JohnWE, AntDog, craytab and 2 others like this.
  17. JohnWE

JohnWE Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2013
    I hope everyone realizes how lucky we are to have you contributing...there's never been anyone in the history of Bladeforums who knows as much about manufacturing and quality assurance as you do. Please don't ever stop posting.

palonej and ScooterG like this.
  18. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pretty sure this thread has run its course and has sufficient representation of all the relevant opinions, suggestions, and stances.

Final thoughts from the OP:
    I’m no longer quite as gung-ho about the idea since, as many have pointed out, the inherent value of the HRC metric is questionable and does not necessarily reflect the overall quality of the heat treatment. It’s a single data point among many that determine how good a blade will be at cutting; it would be more useful overall to see CATRA test results, which I could envision only a few companies actually bothering to do when they were really trying to advertise how good their knives are at keeping an edge.

I do still firmly believe any advertised HRC ranges should match the finished product, and I hope that manufacturers will work more closely with their marketing departments to establish more accurate ranges.

That said, it may be more of a moot point to ask for more transparency given that most of the manufacturers that we would trust to use modern alloys already have a good reputation for QC and heat treatments.

PirateSeulb, shunsui, DocJD and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.