1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Companies need to start issuing verified third-party HRC tests.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Comeuppance, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I wonder at which point there'd be a thread demanding that we need to have some sort of verification for the verification charts of these steels.

2. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I was gonna start a thread on that very subject tomorrow!

Quiet likes this.
  3. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Before you do, I’m going to need to see your original birth certificate and a independent lab’s DNA analysis that proves you aren’t a reptilian.

4. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    But...I am a reptilian. :oops:

5. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I can get that done this morning. Among other things I am a chart expert.

Mecha and Quiet like this.
  6. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    I would be fascinated to see you use a blind sample and report on how well it’s heat treated.

Mo2 likes this.
  7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    That's kinda what folks do when they buy a new knife.

8. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I just lick the blade to determine if it’s up to my standards. Different carbides bring subtle tasting notes to my palate, and HRC can be measured in the amount of umami I detect.

9. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    How are the Rockwell and grains in your most recent purchase?

10. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Does it mater if it works for your use?

11. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I know you've been here a relatively short period of time so I'll give you a top tip, I've got thousands of posts describing my knife use experiences. If you are really that interested, go read them!

12. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    The Runes say the heat treat was a success...

[​IMG]

Dispute proof of that magnitude at your peril! :cool:

SteelJunkee, Dopic1, jux t and 13 others like this.
  13. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I didn't know the space pope was a member here.

jux t and danbot like this.
  14. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    You can't use just hardness alone as an indicator of quality.

At the same hardness, you could have a blade more tough or less tough or more stainless or less stainless.

For example, if you look at the Crucible chart half way down the right side of this PDF, you can see that A2 knife steel at about Rc 56 could have a Charpy C-Notch toughness of 28 ft.-lbs or 41 ft-lbs or something in-between. Heat treating is complicated.

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets2010/dsA2v12010.pdf

To really know what you have in a blade, you'd want to know strength (hardness), toughness and wear resistance.

Why go to all this trouble just for an imperfect number that may or may not tell you want you want to know.

15. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    It does if you’re paying a premium for a steel/performance upgrade and aren’t getting it.

Searching your post history per the ‘top tip’ was certainly informative.

jux t, willc, DocJD and 3 others like this.
  16. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    You’re correct that it’s not the only thing to know, but it’s also true that it is a puzzle piece that helps provide a way to sort out others. For example, edge retention testing, paired with hrc testing, can help clarify patterns of performance.

It’s a data point. No more, no less.

marrenmiller likes this.
  17. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    You read through all my actual knife use here that quickly? Fast reader.

18. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Exactly.

19. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    I think going from 63 assumed to a 56 actual is pretty noticeable.

If the blade was just very easy to clean up relative to all my steel I would be suspicious if I thought it was well above 60

Which is why it's sorta crazy to me none of these manufacturer's noticed....Just through basic maintenance you should notice something like that over time. It may take a while if you have a massive knife rotation....But sooner or later you're gonna notice.

I would imagine it would be obvious just grinding the thing down

20. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    The first three pages spoke volumes.

Microscopy doesn’t tell the whole story. Composition doesn’t tell the whole story. Geometry doesn’t tell the whole story. Edge finish doesn’t tell the whole story.

Why look at any of these?

Because they are pieces of the puzzle.

56 to 63, given a frame of reference, should definitely be glaring. I agree.

As for them not noticing... I try to stay out of speculating about how or why these low samples got by. I just know that they did. To your point, I would certainly hope that it would be noticed in grinding.

marrenmiller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.