1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Confession: Buck 112 does more.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Apalachicola, Jun 27, 2019.

1. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    The moderns are definitely better in all the ways you mention but they don't bring back the memories like a 110. It was my go to knife for years and years of war, hunting, fishing, harvesting, letter opening and personal grooming.

Lesknife likes this.
  2. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I've never owned a 112, but I do have a 110. I also have an old 110 that had belonged to my late dad, but have just kept that one in a drawer. The 110's hollow grind and edge geometry are perfect for its blade shape. Yes, it is an excellent cutter. But TBH, I didn't carry it for too long. For single-bladed knives, I prefer lighter, thinner knives like Spyderco or CRK that I can carry without a belt holster.

Jim

3. GronK

Apr 1, 2001
    When you're old enough to grow a beard you can complete the hipster picture. :cool:

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  4. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I use both for their intended purposes. The 110/112 for heavy duty tasks requiring more force for extended time where my Vantage Pro would be uncomfortable to use because of hot spots such as a convenient pocket clip and the thin handle that makes it a nice pocket carry. The large Vantage Pro is my edc at work because I usually have short duration lighter tasks that it covers very nicely and convenient for productivity. But I also have a 110/112 close by just in case it’s classic design is perfect for the intended purpose that a modern knife just can’t quite fill as well.

JD Bear likes this.
  5. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    Technically edc means every day carry, so if you carry a gun everyday you ARE an edc guy. You are just not a knife guy.

And before someone says, well if you carry your car keys you are an edc guy..edc has become a term to reference those who are purposeful about carrying some type of gear everyday be it knives, flashlights, guns, challenge coins, hanks, etc.

6. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    The Buck 110 and 112 have been doing just fine for a long time and will continue to do so.

As to modern folders being “better”, it all depends on your personal preferences and your thoughts on what they would be better for.

7. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    I grew a more impressive beard than you at 14 old man...

Started shaving at 11 lol

kids hit puberty early these days. Although I am not a mountain man yet the gains on the beard have really slowed down over the years. But on the bright side I don't have much in the way of back hair. Still missing a bit of fill in on the upper cheek.

With your helmet on you say that with a straight face haha. Simmer down about hte puberty talk mister late bloomer

8. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I certainly take my tool seriously... Umm, I mean I take my Buck 110 seriously.

9. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011

^^This^^

I find the 110 to be a great general purpose knife. I EDC right pocket carry nearly daily. Never felt compelled to take one apart.

But then, I don't have a need to 1 hand open 100 times a day and I'm pretty much a traditional retrogrouch and knives like the 110 simply make me happy. YMMV territory.

Lesknife likes this.
  10. GronK

Apr 1, 2001
    Must have touched a nerve. Don't panic. It'll come with time.

gotgoat and Insipid Moniker like this.
  11. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    The 112 is my favorite knife and has been for a while. None of the modern folders I have feel as good as my 112's and 110's....

The Zieg, redcanoe and Grateful like this.
  12. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    A couple of years ago I ordered a 112 from Buck's Custom Shop (walnut grips, S30V) to replace one I wore out long ago, and liked it so much I got one with walnut grips for my BIL. It's a lot more compact and easy to carry than the classic brass frame 110, but still has that marvelous solid 'feel' in the hand. Hard to beat that 110/112 hollow ground clip blade -- it is an extremely versatile design you can use for practically any cutting chore -- Buck certainly got that right.

redcanoe and Grateful like this.
  13. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    lol no old man

just people who hit puberty at 11 don't think of beards as a mark of manhood

Hahaha

Like I said I could grow one as a small boy (small by my standards, not yours), late bloomer.

You have a bike helmet on...Know your place. Insanity

I coulda taken you at 11 lol

14. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    So it kinda sounds you peaked at 11. Then again, my beard is pretty paltry, so who am I to judge. My generous dash of Cherokee means that I will never meet the measure of a true man and must live in constant fear the beatings of mustachioed adolescents.;)

Anyway, the 112 is the perfect edc for those wanting a bit of old school cool. Big enough for most jobs without being seen as a "hunting knife" like the 110.

My old man has carried a 110 for nearly half a century on the jobsite. There isn't any job he hasn't pressed his Buck into doing. Awesome beard as well, if I can perfectly honest. Me, i prefer the 112 most of the time I carry a Buck.

redcanoe and Insipid Moniker like this.
  15. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    Yea he just fears falling over on his pedal bike going 10 mph, lol

edit - and i had some scraggle on the chin too. I'm telling u we're growing up faster.

IDK about this being a great article but it's .edu

https://vitalrecord.tamhsc.edu/decreasing-age-puberty/

It's sort of an old man thing to think a beard = man

16. GronK

Apr 1, 2001
    Wow, really? The bike helmet triggers you? Amazing. I ride a bike daily. I value my head. I wear a helmet. Assuming you aren't making a juvenile attempt to physically intimidate me, you coulda taken me where at 11 and why at 11?

17. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Don't have a 112, but I do have 110's and 110 clones. The 112 is a very good size that I would be more comfortable with than a standard 110 these days.

No reason why you can't carry both a knife and a gun. They kind of go together; peas and carrots, right?

18. GronK

Apr 1, 2001
    Reminds me of an old poem:
    I eat my peas with honey,
    I've done so all my life.
    They taste kind of funny,
    But at least they stick to my knife!

The Zieg, Lesknife and Steely_Gunz like this.
  19. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Give your opinion on the topic.
    Do not give your opinion of other posters.

So far, the opinions on posters cancel each other out. Further such opinions will garner warnings.

20. BRO

BRO Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2007
    I own a couple of 110's and and one 112. Recently received a 110 with an aluminum frame, wow. I have not carried my steel frame 110's since receiving my aluminum framed 110. Bucks are great valued knives.