Contest!

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Jun 29, 2020.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    I’ve decided that it’s been far too long since I’ve had a contest here, so here goes!

The rules are simple:
    One entry per person per week (3 entries allowed over the next almost 3 weeks)
    Post a picture of your favorite JK Knife
    Tell us what you use it for, and why it’s your favorite

I’ll let this contest run until Friday July 17th, then let my granddaughters pick the best post.

Here is the prize

The new Ultralite Bushcrafter

Specs:
    About8 1/2" overall
    About 4 1/4" blade
    3/32" thick O1 steel
    Scandivex grind
    This one has mesquite handles and aluminum pins

[​IMG]

2. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    My favorite JK has to be the Michigan Trail Knife. This was my first effort at knife design and the very first knife that John made for me. I met him at his home for the first time and watched the knife come to life (with time out for a burger and beer). I remember fondling this knife every minute of the four hour drive home!

[​IMG]

Jeff

mqqn, greatscoot, f1addict and 2 others like this.
  3. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Not an entry. Just wanted to say, that's darn generous of you, John. :thumbsup:

AntDog, mqqn, f1addict and 3 others like this.
  4. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    The mud turtle is my favorite. I like Kephart blade shapes and this one is a good length and the handle is generous and comfy. I use it for bushcraft/woodcraft, food prep, and fondling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    rxavage, AntDog, d762nato and 5 others like this.
  5. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2011
    My favorite and daily used JK knife is this small 154CM Stainless and Osage wood handled champion pairing knife. I use for all food related chores, both small and large. Unfortunately, its name is escaping me, but it is my most used knife of any kind.

This photo was taken on the "stump" when it was shiny and new.

[​IMG]

This one is with lots of use, but other than it needing a little oil on the Osage, still looks as good as new.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the great knife, and for the chance John.

Final photo to show the blade length.
    [​IMG]

rxavage, glennbad, Wurrwulf and 3 others like this.
  6. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Potawatomi

Tetsujin 140.6 likes this.
  7. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I always come back to my first. It's still my true love EDC fixed blade. My Osage-over-Blue Bluegill has been around for a bit over 3 years now, and it's gotten a bunch of use and love in that time.

[​IMG]

That's a beautiful knife that you are very generously gifting, John. Thank you for the opportunity.

rxavage, mqqn, f1addict and 3 others like this.
  8. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Off to a good start!

Wurrwulf likes this.
  9. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0282.JPG

The first one on the left, it is a hunter that I find the perfect size to hold and perfect for cutting up boxes and cutting nylon chords, I like to because it fits the hand well and is the right size for a lot of tasks, easy to carry, it is about a 4 inch blade. Thanks for the opportunity to win as well.

rxavage, Tetsujin 140.6, mqqn and 3 others like this.
  10. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Now that is a pretty knife.

Wurrwulf and f1addict like this.
  11. f1addict

f1addict Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I think it would be fair to say that any tree fruit is game for squirrels. These rodents are cute and fun to watch until they get very destructive in your own backyard. Up until this year our apple tree had been unmolested by this furry, tailed terrorist. This afternoon, Alma and I caught him bitting into a juicy, delicious apple from our tree. After a quick shot with my bow, problem solved. I used my Bluegill to help skin and gut him.

[​IMG]

12. rpdur

rpdur Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Of the several I've owned this JK is my absolute favorite: great ergo's and perfect proportions are what make the JK EO1 Hunter great for hiking/camping/EDC. This one is with Oak scales and brass pins; a JK sheath and Diomedes dangler with firesteel loop.

EDIT: Because John doesn't ship to Canada, if I'm fortunate enough to be selected, please award the knife to @mykel m -- I wouldn't have the JK pictured without Mykel's kind (and unsolicited!) offer to ship it to Canada for me. Mykel has always been willing to send JK knives my way. Thank you, Mykel! And Thank you John for your generous giveaway!

image0 (31).jpeg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    rxavage, bikerector, mqqn and 2 others like this.
  13. Simplejack

Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    oh wait pics are coming

14. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Not an entry, John - but thank you for the opportunity!

My most-used JK is the JK Paring Knife and Camp and Kitchen Knife - since I can use it in the kitchen and that is mostly what I have been doing; we still have to eat while we are still getting boxes unpacked after the move (it never ends...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Added the completed BLT for Jeff -
    [​IMG]

Besides that knife and my JK Chef's knife, the most used has been my Kephart, which I use for making kindling for the fireplace (which I no longer have) and the XD/XT, which is my woods knife, which I have not been doing since I moved down to TN - but will get back to eventually.

To be clear, I still have the Kephart - just not the fireplace.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maggie still keeps her DBH at hand, so that could be considered a most used, but it is not a knife.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good luck to all the lucky owners of JK Knives!

best

mqqn

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    rxavage, woodysone, rpdur and 2 others like this.
  15. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    upload_2020-7-3_7-13-4.jpeg

still one of my favorite pictures of my granddaughters, they were so little.

16. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    OK Andy, now I need a BLT for lunch!

Jeff

mqqn likes this.
  17. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    So cute!

Jeff

woodysone, bikerector and mqqn like this.
  18. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    That picture was taken before Hanna was diagnosed in 2012. She was diagnosed in July 2012. It’s hard to believe that Hanna is almost 16 and Hayley will be 18!

woodysone, bikerector and mqqn like this.
  19. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I added a BLT money-shot to the post just for you, @jds1

best

mqqn

woodysone and JK Knives like this.
  20. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    Nice!

Jeff