Converting a stockman to a jack?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jim Bob, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    Well with my carpet cleaning business at a standstill, I have lots of time on my hands so I was wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to turn a medium stockman into a medium jack?

I have never taken a case knife apart but I always love learning how things work. I want to put the pen blade on the same end as the clip. Another thing I plan on doing is dying the scales but that's another project. Any advice is appreciated.[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Cutfinger likes this.
  2. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I know you can convert a Case XX #6345 Cattle knife to a Jack!! Single blade!!
    Now a Greenbone #6145!! (since given away) It was a nice, slim Jack, converted by someone else! 6145.jpg 6145B.jpg

ISKRA, Bloefield, Don W and 11 others like this.
  3. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I thought a stockman is a (double ended) jack knife.

If you put the pen blade on the same end as the clip point, will you still be able to access both nail nicks?

Jim Bob and waynorth like this.
  4. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Some yes; some no!! Depends on the knife!
    Remember, you would also need a newly made spring to do a proper job!!
    A single blade just uses existing parts!!

Jim Bob likes this.
  5. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    You definitely can do it as a single blade but moving the blade orientations of multiple blades you definitely run the risk of the nail nicks interfering with each other, and assuming a two spring stockman you would need a different spring for one of the blades. Looks like you posted some picks but I can’t see them.

Jim Bob likes this.
  6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    Thanks for the replies. I might just turn it into a single blade for the fun of it. It's a Sparxx white medium stockman and after I got it I just wasn't too thrilled with it so I figured I would do something with it to spice it up a bit including dying those scales. I'm thinking a jet black single blade just might be the ticket.

Old Hunter, knowtracks and meako like this.
  7. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    @300Bucks has done this using the three spring Buck 303 Cadet (medium stockman). You can find his knife under 300 series discussions on the Buck Sub-Forum. Using a three spring stockman will make it easier. OH