Coronavirus knife findings

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CanadaKnifeGuy, May 22, 2020 at 6:31 PM.

1. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    Given our current situation, we find ourselves more and more conscious about hyper-sanitary conditions.

I have a PhoneSoap3 UV disinfector for my phone but I also put my keys, passcards, etc in there.

Turns out, a knife around 7" fits great as well.

My go to knife (as before as well) is my BK-14 and given that there's no pivots, etc, it's super easy to be confident that it's not harboring some nasties.

That opens up all the home delivery amazon and curbside pickup boxes with ease.

My other EDC knives are typically stainless (H1 salts, Victorinox or N680), so a soap and water rinse down doesn't bother me at all.

I think I'd be too paranoid with carbon steel folders or folders with too many bearings, liners, locks, holes in scales, etc.

Simple for the win!

Dadpool likes this.
  2. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I think you're already too paranoid.--KV

LG&M, Wilfred17, jdk1 and 14 others like this.
  3. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    If you had a loved one that was super vulnerable with zero immune system in your house, wouldn't you take precautions??!

:rolleyes:

strategy9, kreole and Eversion like this.
  4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I'm not worried, and yes I still use my knife to cut food.
    [​IMG]

5. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    She's a looker, that's for sure!! :thumbsup:

6. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    But.....

In the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic that killed 55 million ppl, NO ONE was using an H1 steel knife...

All carbon!! :eek:;):p:D:cool:

Coincidence? Unrelated? Maybe!? :confused:

:D:D:D:p:p:p

7. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I use my knives as normal at work. I just don’t stick em up my nose or in my mouth or rub em on my eyes. :D At home I don’t worry about it.

I’ve bought one blade since all this started. It’s carbon steel. It got a thorough wash with dawn dish soap, then dried off and the edge coated with a little mineral oil.

The stuff doesn’t survive well on most surfaces and if you wait a few days it all dies off. I’m calling it good.

palonej, colin.p, PNWhovian and 7 others like this.
  8. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yes, that's fine, but you started this thread as though YOU were the worried one.
    BTW, my wife has diabetes, advanced age, etc. and I also have COPD. We do take standard precautions, but we
    don't worry about bearings and stuff on my knives...
    I don't really think that COVID can live for very long on a knife-blade, and I found this today...
    "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the chances of getting coronavirus from delivered packages is likely very low."

mdrgn79 and jakemex like this.
  9. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    You must eat tiny food... ;)

10. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    Yeah I know all that.

But ppl aren't very smart.

Both your garbage man and Amazon delivery guy wears gloves.

BUT, they wear the same gloves for every house in your area. It's not to protect you... It's to protect him.

Re: garbage cans, it's the equivalent of shaking hands with every one of your neighbours.

I let the packages sit for a few days generally, unless the wife needs something that arrived urgently and have to crack into it right away.

I've ordered at least a handful of Mora's, a victorinox and a Bow River in the last 2 mos... That's my confession.

The last 2 are gifts and I got 2 Companions for $10 cad each ($7 USD), so I couldn't resist. :D:cool:

11. jakemex

jakemex

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, buy all the gadgets, just like the preppers did for the y2k scare, build your bunker for the nuclear attacks like in the 50s and 60s, etc. You will live until you die... been licking your phone? Suck on your fingers? Shave off all facial hair etc? My knife is clean enough. Almost 70 had no sickness from pocket knife use. Scared much wimpos?

mdrgn79 likes this.
  12. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    The interesting thing is the USA's CDC has decided this thing isn't spread by surface contact after all. This was just reported the last couple of days.

jakemex likes this.
  13. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    for the life of me, I can't understand blowing $80 for a UV phone sanitizer case...

unless you loan it out to strangers often?
    or, insist on using it right next to someone sneezing - but it won't help in that case anyway, you'll get it directly

maybe you've thought of something else, but I'm honestly curious about the logic

fwiw, disinfecting a knife is done with a tiny bit of soap and do happy birthday - just like your hands - easy & simple

jakemex likes this.
  14. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Doesn't take much more than 2.5" to cut slice bites off an apple, cut a pork chop, or chicken breast. ( sadly I can't eat steak )

15. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    I know, I'm just funnin' with you. The blades on most of my carry knives are under 3". The knife I carried longest (for somewhere around 30 years) was a Buck 501 Squire which has a blade length of 2 3/4" IIRC. I used it on plenty of picnics, camp meal prep, and the occasional restaurant steak if their steak knives sucked.

From Buck's website:
    [​IMG]

16. Eversion

Eversion Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    My Spydiechef has been my go to for a while for this reason. A trip to the sink is no fuss for it.

My fiance has auto immune disorders, for context. Is this putting too much thought into it? Probably. But I feel a little better doing it.

Monofletch and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  17. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    I bought it in Jan when I was still going into the office.

It's super handy for keys as well.

You leave your home right? You get food or gas? You're touching your keys after to start the car or unlock your house?

Ppl get using hand sanitizer for their hands and even steering wheel, but what about your keys that go back in your pocket and contaminate stuff in there?

It's a super easy way to clean keys. Knives are a nice bonus.

And phones.... Yeah... They're disgusting.
    And I'm addicted to mine. I use it everywhere.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 11:31 PM
    Oloung1 likes this.
  18. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    You guys are mostly fighting me on this but damnit.... I'm trying to give you an excuse to buy a new spydiechef, a Siren or a fixed blade and you guys are missing the ball lobbed over the plate for you!

Get a waterway! Fixed blade AND lcn200

19. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    My CV go to knife...just because...:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. RustyIron

RustyIron

Dec 4, 2019

No. Not "we."

I rejected this silliness from Day One. My momma taught me to wash my hands and to keep my finger out of my nose. That's better protection than any trendy gadgets. But if it makes you feel better, the CDC declared earlier this week that contracting the Wuhan Virus from surfaces is very unlikely. They should have asked me sooner.

palonej, PNWhovian and willc like this.