1. Despite 2020 presenting more than its share of challenges, I'm thankful for all of you, and the community you guys have created. Hope that your homes are full of happiness, your fridge well stocked with leftovers, and your homes warm & loving.

Corrosion testing

Discussion in 'Razor Edge Knives' started by razor-edge-knives, Aug 19, 2020.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Well... I'm a little disappointed in the krytox. But I've got a bunch of other various corrosion inhibitor oils on the way thanks to @duramax and @einsteinjon so excited about that!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    How about some Renaissance Wax?

It's worked well for me on my Dad's old Case carbon steel knives protecting from hand oil/salt pepper spotting...never tested it any more rigorously than that.

I'm pretty sure it's food safe....as long as you don't eat it straight outta the can :eek:

GABaus, duramax, Big DJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    It did OK but not amazing in this guy's testing

duramax and Fullflat like this.
  4. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    GABaus, Fullflat and woodysone like this.
  5. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I've used WD-40 for years to clean / wipe down all my knives not used for food prep and so far so good. I do live in the desert and that probably helps too :).
    I'll be interested in the TC-11 if it's available locally.

6. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    From left to right - WD40 LCTI, Frog Lube (applied with heat), EDCi, and Hornady One Shot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    I think I have some here , if I do I’ll send it. Should ship out tomorrow :)

8. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Another brand is USA Fluid, brand strong arm.
    Been seeing it more and more around the hot rod world.

9. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Yeah da man!!

Have you tried lps3 yet for your vehicle? Looks like it should be a top performer under body coating

Fullflat and woodysone like this.
  10. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    L
    Looks pretty legit! It's even good grade.... Would love to try it but I don't wanna spend $92 on a whole gallon lol

11. duramax

Nov 29, 2012
    They sell quarts at $32.00
    I haven’t bought it yet.

I’ve used it on firearms but not the vehicles. I’ve been staying with the corrosion block. I’ve been applying it from when truck was new :)

12. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    So, what is the "best" product youve tested so far?

Fullflat and razor-edge-knives like this.
  13. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    So far the wd40 lcti has been best... But I have a lot more on the way! I'm gonna do some big panels with each labeled soon probably, this is getting too confusing with only 4 knife blanks lol

woodysone and Fullflat like this.
  14. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    I was gonna pick up some mild steel from Lowes but do you guys have any better ideas? Iron would probably be best since it's super corrosion prone

woodysone and Fullflat like this.
  15. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Josh,
    Just for kicks, and because I said please, would you do some basic chapstick? Reason I ask is because I have used that on knives because A) I had it on hand, B) I knew the knife was going to be getting wet, and C) in contact with food. I felt kind of silly, thinking there was probably no point, but it seemed to work and the knives came home from the field without any corrosion.

Follow up about the WD40 LTCI. Is it a lube as well as a C.I.? The Hornady 1 Shot is both, so I'm wondering if the WD40 is billed as a lubricant.

16. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Sure I can try, any specific brand? :)

The LCTI does have some lubricating properties for sure, but it's not as good as one shot according to the day at the range testing

17. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Well, I'm not going to ask you to buy anything with Gloss, Sparkle, or Glitter in the name. Just the basic stuff.

Tjstampa, Fullflat, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  18. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    Slightly off the subject, but hopefully interesting... When I went to college in rhode island we would go down to point judith for quahogs for clam cakes. The navy had a corrosion and rust test facility right there on the coast.
    They were testing everything there, siding, paint, you name it.
    I always thought that was a great place to do it, some serious gales there.

19. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    That's awesome, man I would love to chat with someone at that facility! Lol

20. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks to @duramax and @einsteinjon for all these oil samples, I should be running a more involved test cycle this coming week! I have others I'll be testing too... chapstick, regular wd40, etc.

[​IMG]