1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

CQC 7A

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by BellaBlades, Sep 11, 2019.

1. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013

Just did a good denim rub for maybe ten minutes and I achieved desired results. Awesome idea

Dadpool and Officer's Match like this.
  2. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Excellent! I'm glad it did the trick for you.

3. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I really like the CQC7A
    Here are some pictures for comparison
    In addition to the PM2 and cqc7a, I have added 0562 and 0640 from ZT and a large 21
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For completely different usage I kind of feel some aesthetics similarities with the bugout
    [​IMG]

BellaBlades likes this.
  4. Turbo4x4

Turbo4x4 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2011
    7AW-7A-M7A
    DSC_a1981.jpg

5. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I really like the CQC7A for it is a compact design but still a workhorse
    When I compare it to my PM2, which a great performer too, I really understand how different are both concepts

BellaBlades likes this.
  6. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    20190915_154549.jpg

Agreed. So similar yet do different.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Gizler00, Officer's Match and Therom like this.
  7. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I really like the waveless emerson

BellaBlades likes this.
  8. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    It's the only kind I want to buy lol.

Therom likes this.
  9. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    In the perspective of building a collection i think it make sense to get a waved Emerson
    But beside the tacticool aspect of the wave opener, IMO for most of us the waveless are much better :)

BellaBlades likes this.
  10. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    By the way check the ZT0640
    IMO it is an underestimated knife
    It is clearly an emerson design the you get all what is good in an Emerson waveless design with the material and machinery capabilities ZT can offer

I changed the overlays because I really think CF doesn’t match the purpose of an emerson design ;) but that was my only “concern”
    The pocket clip need a break in period but after some time it is actually great

I have put some OD greens micarta overlays on mine and it is great

BellaBlades likes this.
  11. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    @Therom

I handled the Emerson ZT and it just isn't rough enough around the edges for me.

However I see more CQC in my future.

Therom likes this.
  12. Frankki

Frankki

Oct 26, 2007
    I had a 7A for a while, which I chose specifically because I have zero need or interest in a waved model. Good knife, nicely built, no functional problems, nicely centered and quite smooth enough. A tad heavy for the size maybe, but hey, it's a 1990s design, from an era before all the ultralight obsession.

The big problem for me was ultimately the standoff construction. The stock ones are too thin and frankly quite feeble, replacing them with the much larger MXG Gear standoffs was a big improvement, but IMO the CQC-7 with its square butt needs to have a backspacer. Standoffs can be OK in handle design that is more rounded and sweeping, but now I was just left with a big honking gap around the lanyard hole, which, to be honest, really bugged me. A drop-in backspacer to slip over the standoffs would have solved my issue but I didn't find one available on the aftermarket, so the knife was eventually sold. Pity, really, because I wanted to like it enough to keep.

13. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013

I couldn't agree with you more. Although the standoffs dont bother me. They are better than the old set up by far.

This knife feels like its crawled out of a machine shop in the late 90s and I love it. Refined but so simple. And the blade is great. Very capable and I'm actually impressed with the edge holding of the steel. Well done.

14. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    20190920_175110.jpg

15. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Been wanting one of these for awhile. One day I’ll snag one.

cf1969 likes this.