Craftsman stamps

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Square_peg, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    That really is a nice looking Craftsman hatchet.

I wonder if that was what this was before I "had my way with it"...

Someone mentioned dropping it in a bucket of vinegar for a couple of hours to see if it was hardened to the nail puller. Couple hours, couple weeks. Is there a difference? *shame.:thumbdn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    At least you learned 😁 and it looks pretty interesting to me.

3. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    My mother in law picked up a Craftsman boy’s axe at a friend’s garage sale.
    Here it is next to an earlier incarnation with green paint, flat cheeks, and decent steel – that one I do use.

[​IMG]

Bars, trade mark, M and an E as shown on a couple of others but with the addition of the M 2 ¼ stamped on the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This new one is painted black, rough finishing marks, has a single metal wedge, and is attached to one of those “budget friendly” flat-sided handles that no one really gets excited about – at least not in a good way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it wasn’t stamped Craftsman I would think it was a newer True Temper or import.

Oh, and in the event you can’t read or don’t want to there is the Goggle Guy facing you while you use it.

[​IMG]

I know it’s difficult to get hard dates on the Craftsman logos but is this a recent representation of the “end of the road” for quality – at least with axes with the Craftsman stamp?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  4. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    The letter codes for craftsman don't always stand for the companies name ( more often they don't ) but they sometimes do , and I get the feeling that ME stands for Mann edge.
    The problem is that I haven't been able to find that particular stamp listed anywhere.
    ME is what Sears required for their stamp, and Mann edge just put their personal identifying mark anyways.

5. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I posted a link to your picture on another forum where they know a lot about craftsman stamps. they don't really know anything or give a crap about axes ( or hammers ) but are glad to learn about another craftsman stamp and may have looked it over in their research of ratchets and wrenches . I figure if anyone can find documentation on this stamp it's them, if it is found that the M E stamp is the mfg code fore Mann edge it will definitively prove that the M stamped axes were made by them.

6. Slim278

Slim278 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Here is a stamp that I did not see in this thread. It is a boys axe with remnants of green paint. I do not know much about this one, got it at a yard sale.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Jul 30, 2012
    The thread that won't die.

Picked this up a couple years ago at an estate sale. Didn't realize it was that old.

[​IMG]

Yankee Josh likes this.
  8. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Jul 30, 2012
    Couple more pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yankee Josh likes this.
  9. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I like Craftsman single oval axes. I have a single ova boys which is my current favorite boys axe. I recently added a full size single oval. It has great geometry but I haven't hung it yet.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  10. Hatchetman7

Hatchetman7

Dec 22, 2016
    I have a Craftsman with the oval as it appears on golden jubilee hatchet but without the jubilee 1886-1936 logo.Any ideas about the year it was made.

11. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013

Is this the stamp you are asking about? A picture of your tool would help.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  12. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Globe & Mail and Ottawa Citizen today (6 Jan) carried a by line covering the Sears announcement of the sale of Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker for $900 M.

13. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I was sad to see them sell 'Craftsman'. Sales usually mean a reduction in quality.

14. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    I bought extensively into Craftsman mechanic's tools 40 years ago. Wonderful guarantee but not so wonderful tools. The original gear all said USA on it but not so the recent warranty replacements. Current Stanley incarnations are also guaranteed for life (I bought a convenient boxed set to keep in the trunk of the car) but they are truly inferior, as you quickly find out when you actually use them. So now with Stanley and B & D already having amalgamated and lowered their standards and then picked up the Sears brand I don't foresee good things happening except drop in price. You've always had to pay a premium for Snap-On but they are one of the few that continues to make 'lifetime' tools.

15. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    With the decrease in competition I would expect an increase in prices. Monopoly.

Snap-on is a different league.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  16. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Perhaps it's time we collectively insisted (via purchases) on 'different league' seeing as the standards for 'bush league' have been dropping steadily for the past 1/2 century. Monopoly will never exist as long as price dictates sales and a wrench (or an axe) appears to be a wrench (or axe) when you ogle it at the store. The worst part about all this is Snap-On is probably hurting financially because of their un-yielding philosophy.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Yankee Josh likes this.
  17. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I still see their trucks all over town. Garages are using exclusively Snap-on. They will typically have a replacement tool there the same day.

18. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Might be jumping to conclusions with a decline in quality with Stanley buying Craftsman. Maybe I am wrong but I thought Stanley makes Matco. Matco I think is a little better than Craftsman. Maybe the Craftsman professional series is better?

19. rjdankert

rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Came across this picture and thought it was interesting.

[​IMG]

Bob

Yankee Josh likes this.
  20. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I have a Fulton house axe with a F o. I suspect the o is a weak 8. I have seen other Fultons stamped under the poll also.