CRK Box Elder Burl

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Erik Norseman, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Erik Norseman

Erik Norseman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2017
    hey gang,

I'm wondering if any kind souls would be willing to post some close up pictures of any box elder burl inlays/covers they have. I've never seen it in person and in some pictures it looks kind of flat, but in others it has a rich depth to it. Would you describe this wood, as done by CRK, as having significant depth, the way some abalone or even acrylic scales can? Or is the grain more flat (although still beautiful, of course).

Also any thoughts on bog oak and the macassar ebony would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide what to get on a new mnandi and spalted beech isn't doing it for me right now. (I'm also excited to see what comes out at SHOT this year.)

Thanks in advance!

2. GT321

GT321

Apr 11, 2015
    I'd like to see what people have to say about this too. The Mnandi is one of my grails, and I'm looking into and saving up for one. I personally really like the spalted beech and the box elder burl. I like the bog oak and ebony, but feel like I should get something lighter with more figuring and character.

3. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
  4. Erik Norseman

Jun 9, 2017
    Gorgeous.
    Thanks Lone_Wolfe. I think I've made my choice.

5. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Wow those are some amazing examples! Just remember Erik that the wood can vary a huge amount between knives, so I would recommend getting pictures of the exact knife you are looking to buy before purchasing.

Erik Norseman likes this.
  6. Erik Norseman

Jun 9, 2017
    I don't think CRK will do that, will they? I've heard of retailers like KSF doing that before but not CRK themselves.

7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I have to say you have some great tastes in knives Lone Wolfe ... you seem to get ahold of some of the nicest figured wood I've seen on CRKs.

8. Grizz484

Grizz484

Jan 7, 2018
    Yeah Lone_Wolfe, WOW what beautiful wood. Thanks for sharing.

Lone_Wolfe likes this.
  9. Grizz484

Grizz484

Jan 7, 2018
    Lone_Wolfe, all knives pictured here are Box Elder Burl?

10. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    They are.

Grizz484 likes this.
  11. Grizz484

Grizz484

Jan 7, 2018
    Thank you.