CRK is *that* company

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by XL883N, Sep 26, 2020.

1. XL883N

XL883N

Apr 12, 2020
    This is in jest.

I've only been on BF a short time but it seems apparent CRK is *that* company where its faithful followers despise any and all changes. I love guitars and motorcycles and two companies come to mind where I'm drawing parallels. Gibson and Harley Davidson.

Gibson achieved perfection in 1959 with the Les Paul under the management of Ted McCarty and everything went to shit after he left. The purists hate any alterations made after, even if those changes are actually better, but people don't want them. They want exact copies of what Gibson did in 1959. New bridge that doesn't collapse over time? No, we want the old style! They reinforced the headstock and it's less likely to break? No, I want the old style!

Same with HD. Diehards don't want the new crap. Just give me a bike like the old ones. What? An oil cooled Harley? That's blasphemy! Grab a big twin while you still can because once they're gone they're gone forever!

This is how I see CRK being treated by its faithful followers. The 21 is the pinnacle of folding knife perfection. How dare they attempt to improve on it?

This 31 is a disgrace and not Chris' knife! It's all Tim and Anne's doing but I choose to ignore that the ceramic ball came long before the 31!

Quality has gone down the toilet since Chris left. See. Screws on 31s back out but I choose to ignore some 21 had the same problem!

Some 31 blades might flex ever so slightly and they all have late lock up. Those are normal traits of a ceramic interface, CRK (the company) even said it's normal, but I don't care because I don't understand! The 21 wasn't like that and therefore better! Buy them while you still can because they will be collectors items!

Alsharif likes this.
  2. Random Dan

Random Dan Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2012
    21 ain't even the pinnacle. Have you seen what older Sebenzas go for?

B Griffin and guy g like this.
  3. rcontre81

rcontre81

Jul 14, 2006
    The pinnacle to me was the regular sebenza. That was my first, and that is what got me hooked.

russ25, Peter Hartwig and guy g like this.
  4. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    My Oldies..
    D93142D3-FED1-4500-A648-A09CC2BAD9DB.jpeg 33283A4E-8381-4882-857A-1E8C8100F458.jpeg 8CC6719D-C3D4-4307-9831-B8A8B1C2926C.jpeg

sextant, russ25, loon#r and 3 others like this.
  5. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    yep, the older 21's are vary hard to improve on!!

6. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    So the only CRK worth owning is an "H"! When Chris made them himself by hand!

7. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    Said James, "In my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a Redheaded girl.
    Now Nortons and Indians and Greavses won't do.
    Oh, they don't have a Soul like a Vincent '52."
    --Richard Thompson

M B likes this.
  8. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I own and ride Harley’s and now own more than one generation of Sebenza. I can definitely see the parallels you’re making after reading a lot of threads in this section lol.

I love my ‘16 HD just as much as I did my ‘06. I’m already loving my Seb 31 and figure I’ll love the 21’s the same since the changes really aren’t drastic.

9. ruddyduck

ruddyduck Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme.

10. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    "The only constant in life is change."...That ancient Greek dude from Ephesus.

blanex1 likes this.
  11. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    And were from 90's. Mmm. Simpler times.

12. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    To me, with CRK the divide seems a little more down the center than it does with HD.

13. gaucheist

gaucheist Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Definitely see the OP’s point. I wonder if CRK simply came up with a new name for the 31, would the reception here have been warmer.

14. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    i like the 21, I have 4 large and that is already maire than I need ;)
    I am interested in the 31 and I hope the insingo blade shape version will be released soon so I can give the 31 a try and see if I like it

the changes seem to be subtle enough on the 31 and I cannot really figure out why the transition from the 21 to the 31 disturb sign many people
    In paper the changes made seem to be improvement....
    I will see how I feel when I will have one

6stringrazor and Evany like this.
  15. Cowboyfromhell666

Cowboyfromhell666

May 13, 2019
    Imho life has gone to shit and will never be the same. Every aspect of our lives have greatly changed over the years, especially 2020. Do you think 30 years from know our kids will say man I wish it was like it was back in the 2020s ....the future scares me

Honed_Edge likes this.
  16. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I like Reckless Kelly's version best.

Dcdavis likes this.
  17. jmgruber

jmgruber Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Is this in jest? If not, I feel for you.

Back to CRK, I picked up my first small 21 and it’s in Idaho for SPA treatment. I hope it lives up to the hype.

18. Lack_of_Response

Lack_of_Response

Aug 8, 2020
    I agree that CRK is one of those legacy brands with die-hard fans that love what it was and want to keep it going in the hopes that it goes back to what it used to be. like Star Wars, and those knife brands that make old-fashioned slipjoints. a few companies have figured out how to successfully turn nostalgia into money, and this inspires other businesses to try it too.

19. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    While I am mostly loyal to designs Chris did himself the 31 "improvements" are really all thing he had already done, just incorporated into one knife now. At some point I may try one.

sailfish likes this.
  20. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    I'm curious about the 31 myself. I think I'll eventually try one--I actually have had one on order with CRK since about 6 months or so. Since it's a PJ lefty with boomerang damascus, who knows when they will get around to it. But... for me the allure of CRK knives is for the projects Chris himself had a hand in. His original designs, every one of them, just speak to me.