1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Cryo Temper

Discussion in 'Osprey Knife & Tool' started by Apocryphiliac, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Chris, I saw you mentioned some time back that you were thinking about doing cryos on your blades. Just wondering what yours and others’ thoughts are on that. I have heard people swear by it, but I’m neither a metallurgist nor a knife maker. Curious if it really adds as much as some people say.

varga49 and Choppaman like this.
  2. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman RansomWildernessCo Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 13, 2013
    I'm curious to hear Chris' thoughts as well. Last time I spoke to him, I know he had the process in motion for somewhere down the pipeline. So he must think it is worth doing. I know he is busy getting the new 80CRV2 oxide finish line up and moving so not a lot of time there to add another step to the process.

For someone meticulous about maintaining their knives, I wonder what the added benefit, if any, would be for the average knife user in real term use. I know for me, I sometimes strop when I don't even need to. It is strangely therapeutic to me, and I like the opportunities to get out the WE and touch up a knife. Yet, who wouldn't want a knife that had an extra process to it that increased the edge stability and kept it sharper longer? Definite plus for anyone using a knife in a professional setting.

It also sounds good to say a knife had a cryogenic process done to it ;)

Apocryphiliac likes this.
  3. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Yes, it sounds very cool (no pun intended).

I feel like I read somewhere along the line that a cryo quench causes the martensite to become more uniform, but I don't understand these things well enough to say that it is really a noticeable difference to the end user.

I also seem to remember hearing that it frees chromium so that stainless properties are enhanced. This feels a little more dubious to me, but again, what do I know... I'm just a simple caveman.

Again though, I think the process of knifemaking is so cool, (why I love the way Chris posts pictures of the process!) and always interested to hear more details about the way it all works.