CS Trail Hawk handle defective?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Mikeymike, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Mikeymike

Mikeymike

Aug 17, 2012
    Hey all,

received my CS trail hawk (convinced by the mod thread..) but was disappointed to see the handle in this condition:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first one from Amazon came the same but I exchanged it free of charge for this one. Is this normal, or should I try for another exchange?

2. Needalife

Needalife

Nov 17, 2010
    I have bought several CS Hawks and all have been in similar condition. Sand or whatever you want to do to work it out and refinish it. I have found if you want one in better condition is to order a replacement handle by itself.

3. bjp

bjp

Apr 30, 2011
    yep. pretty normal. you can count on having to sand/shave the handle for a good fit. goes for all of the inexpensive hawks I've had.

certainly not worth going through the trouble of sending back. 15 minutes with sandpaper, and maybe a couple of tools (knife, spokeshave), and you'll have a perfectly-fitting handle.

-ben

4. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    The handles generally start out pretty rough. With a little work they can be made to look pretty nice as long as it is not warped when you get it. You are not going to get the same craftsmanship from a $25 dollar hawk as one that cost 2-4 times as much.

5. Mikeymike

Mikeymike

Aug 17, 2012
    thanks for the reply guys. took your advice and went at it with sand paper. looking much better now! going to try applying a homemade stain of black coffee, teriyaki sauce, and red wine vinegar. found it on youtube.. we'll see how it goes!

6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Yup--very common. I often have to remedy that on the ones I get in. A few quick passes on the belt sander takes the "shelf" off and gives it a correct taper.

7. Mikeymike

Mikeymike

Aug 17, 2012
    Yep, I don't have a belt sander but some elbow grease did the job :)

8. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Elbow grease is great stuff, isn't it? Costs almost nothing and it's a renewable energy source! :D I hear the world used to run on it, even. ;)

9. Mikeymike

Mikeymike

Aug 17, 2012
    Yeah, literally ;). Talk about sustainable production.. Till you get carpal tunnel.

10. Poop Fungus

Poop Fungus Banned BANNED

Sep 13, 2012
    im totally gonna try that coffee stain:thumbup:

11. Mikeymike

Mikeymike

Aug 17, 2012
    yep, i figure i'll give it a shot. it's free anyways!

12. Dunner

Dunner Registered User

Jul 24, 2004
    One thing that hasn't been pointed out yet is that a LOT of those Cold Steel hawks need is some file/light grinding work INSIDE THE EYE. They leave some nasty burr edges on the inside of the eye that need to be smoothed out. I think that is what chewed up your haft. Do that, THEN go to work on refinishing the haft.

Edited to add... I have spent thousands of dollars on blades of various types, some of it very high end stuff. On a per dollar basis, I don't think I have enjoyed any of them more than my Trail Hawk. With a little effort, I bet you are going to be very happy with that little quick flying worker :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  13. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007

This!

Take a file and in literally a few minutes, you can make that upper rim on the eye a tiny bit beveled. It will stop the hawk head from shaving the handle like that. smooth the handle with a bit of sand paper, file the inside edge of the top of the eye, and pound that sucker back on.

If you are going to throw it, it will eventually get beat up like that anyway. Be sure to take the set screw out for throwing! You can split a handle in one throw, instead of it sliding down like it is supposed to on a bad throw.

I have ruined a handle in a single bad hit when I got lazy. I have made handles last for literally years. For my throwers, I also normally add a layer of tape to the handles. I normally throw a few at a time, often with knives thrown as well. The tape will save you from a split handle often if one hawk or knife hits the handle of another hawk. When the tape gets beat up, peel it off, and put another new layer on.

14. bjp

bjp

Apr 30, 2011
    ooh. thanks for the tip. I will have to try that handle-wrap bit. I doubt I could live with it on the lower portion (grip), but most of my hawk-on-hawk splits and chops occur higher up the handle, anyway.

my friends think I'm trying to brag or something when I mention how frequently I go through handles when throwing multiple hawks. I try to tell them that if I was really as good as they think I think I am, I could space my grouping out (at will) so that I didn't chop so many handles up.

of course, we all know the real answer is to only throw one hawk at at time, but man, with all that walking back and forth, it looks too much like exercise!

-ben

15. Balldboy

Balldboy Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Shovel ready work...nothing to shy away from.

16. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    The tape wrap is not too bad. If it gets beat up, it can be pretty rough on your hands.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012