1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Damascus vs ceramic ball.

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by daytonadiscdriver, Oct 21, 2020.

1. daytonadiscdriver

daytonadiscdriver

Oct 9, 2007
    I was wondering if the lower hardness of the Damascus blades will be a problem with the ceramic ball lock/detent interface. I imagine it would wear into the tang of the blade faster and easier than the S35VN blades.

I used to wonder that about the smaller "detent only" ceramic ball years ago. I used to worry about the detent hole developing the "exit path ramp thing" faster than the harder blades.

I'd really love a Damascus seb 31 but I'm hesitant for this reason.

2. 353

Feb 20, 2015
    What is the hardness on the damascus?

3. KrisNZ

KrisNZ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2012
    You're over thinking it,

4. Silverstonev8

Silverstonev8 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2018
    57-58

5. jascolli

jascolli Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I have two. A small and large damascus 31. I've had them for a while now and zero issues. I love them. I've had a number of 21's in the past and I'm content with my 31's.

6. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    I don't think you'll see any difference in lockup performance... My 31 Boomerang doesn't show any real wear, and it gets used a lot....

7. Honed_Edge

Honed_Edge

Feb 5, 2013
    Many times a question asked has always been asked before. This seems to be a unique question, I've never heard this idea ever addressed.

"I used to worry about the detent hole developing the "exit path ramp thing" faster than the harder blades."
    The blades are through hardened I think meaning one hardness everywhere.

It does seem reasonable that the lower hardness would wear faster. The extremes of the hardness ranges 57 (low for damascus) to 60 (high for s35) 57-60 is not a great deal. Maybe to edge retention, but not rubbing wear. Realistically, the range could be as little as 58 (high for damascus) to 59 (low for s35) 58-59 is basically the same.

Does a measurable difference appear over time? Very likely. Does this very small difference matter? How old are you? Probably not.

bart1 and KrisNZ like this.