1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Deals for 1/7 -- Pix, Falcata, Everest Katana , Kobra and great buys

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yangdu, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    I believe Shavru mentioned that original Falcatas that have been dug up weighed around 36 ounces. HI Falcata are noticeably heavier, as most people who buy from HI buy with wood processing or brush clearing in mind and not martial arts or combat. I personally would love to see HI Falcatas that have a weight closer to that of historical Falcatas.

I keep a V-42 Stiletto by my bed. I keep it there because I know that no matter how I grip it when I grab it off the nightstand I will be holding it correctly enough. My Thamar Yek Chirra is close by as well, just not where I will grab it instantly the moment I wake up.

2. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    Scara, I see we have similar likes but, I'm a light sleeper. I only have two well tuned 1911's, a USGI Model 12 Trench Gun and a Microtech Jagdcommando within arms reach. I won't bore others with the second tier. However it does include some formidable HI items in case things might go south. I know I'm ancient and not up to snuff with current trends but, some nights I sleep comfortably. I'm certainly glad that in my old age, I'm no longer paranoid.

Just yanking your chain my friend. Although the armament is sadly a fact.

3. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    Do you actually own the Jagdkommando? It's always seemed more like something people talk about but don't actually own. And my 1911 and SIG would take a little longer to get to, but that's because I don't control entry and exit into the apartment. It's the breaks when you're a college student. So my weapons are for the purpose of defending my bedroom.

4. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    Yes, I have one. Could you do the same or better for less a lot less $$? Absolutely! It appears the ancients have experience on their side. I believe a good double edged dagger would suffice full well for the purpose inferred. I worked in the OR in a hospital adjoining Chicago in the late 70's and early 80's while attending NU, working as a Tech. By the time the ER needed to send them to us, the fight was long gone. The only ones arriving had wounds from pen knives or .22 and .25acp wounds and they did not fair very well. The others never made it and we were a high volume trauma center. Not much but, you can be the judge.

5. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    Well, you're the first person I'm aware of that actually owns one. I see people talk about them plenty, either people who are just enamored of them, or people who are mocking the knives as expensive novelties. Until now however, no one has actually said they own one.

Oh and since I didn't make it clear, my V-42 Stiletto is a reproduction, not original. I wouldn't keep an original as my "get the hell off of me and my bed" knife.

6. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    I don't know much about the V-42. I imagine it must be similar to the fighting knife explained to me by my late father witnessing Rangers being deployed. He was an AF bombardier and was anamored by their blades. He felt underwhelmed by his issue AF Ka-Bar. He was that way though, never really a happy person no matter what. I only have a couple trench knives that are similar, not sounding the same. Those are something my granddad spoke of but, not near as highly as the Khukris he referenced about his battles in the trenches of WWI. He held the Gurkhas and their Khukris in the highest regard and told many tales of their ferociousness. Although, none so spoken of as highly as his 1911, supposedly it saved his life on several occasions according to him. He did well as a soldier, a Master Sargeant in a time not so easy to do so, at least I'm told. Very we'll decorated with several Purple Hearts and finally succumbed to the effects of being gassed several times although later in his life.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  7. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Maybe the kamis shouldda made them with Volvo springs. Tatas are better suited for the tropics;)