Decisions decisions, help!

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by MOhunter92, Mar 24, 2014.

1. MOhunter92

MOhunter92

Mar 8, 2014
    Hello everyone, if you had the choice, what would you pick? I'm looking at cqc 13s, undecided whether I get black or satin. But I have the option of getting a brand new 2005-2006 satin model, or a brand new one with stand offs of either finish. Which would you pick and why? I'm torn

2. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    standoffs
    :thumbup:

3. SOC_MRN_Leon

SOC_MRN_Leon

Mar 9, 2012
    Standoffs for sure. Personally I love Emerson's Stonewash/Satin Finishes. They're the best out there. Black if you're trying to conceal it I guess. Cant seem to think any other reason why to coat it. Oil thee blade down for sure if in humid areas but 154cm is a decent stainless steel. So choose to your liking. Here are some pics to help ya choose. I don't really like the wear marks on the black coating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bimmer1

Bimmer1

Sep 30, 2000
    Standoffs and stonewashed finish.

5. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    It dunt mater, any of it, but I like the rear-spacer. I tried the standoffs. Nope.
    rolf

6. MOhunter92

MOhunter92

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks for the opinions guys! So there's no reasons to get the older brand new model? I have a roadhouse with stand offs and love it but I also have an older 2011 cqc 10 and it's nice too. I thought 2005-6 would be all titanium liners, is there no reason to get the older model?

7. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    These are Emerson knives. If you like one, get one. You will no doubt end up with a few. Variety is the spice, man.

8. MOhunter92

MOhunter92

Mar 8, 2014
    I have a few, all are newer. Just curious to see if the older model would be better have over the newer.

9. coop1957

coop1957 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Stand offs / satin /stone washed

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  10. kwazyjuice

kwazyjuice Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Standoffs with satin and plain edge :D

11. MOhunter92

MOhunter92

Mar 8, 2014
    Alright well I guess I know my decision! Lol

12. ScreaminSS01

ScreaminSS01

Jan 2, 2012
    If I have a choice of buying an older model I always jump at it. I like the fine g10 better. Some people like the standoffs. I fondled a mini Commander I bought my brother and it felt solid. He sure seems to like it also.

13. MOhunter92

MOhunter92

Mar 8, 2014
    That's what I was wondering. I thought the older models were all titanium and maybe a better choice, something different for my emerson line up. But if the stand off models are overall tougher and look nicer I'll go with that

14. ibute21

ibute21 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2010
    New old production imo. I love my 2005 13. I prefer the backspacer over the standoffs.

15. MOhunter92

MOhunter92

Mar 8, 2014
    I'd like to hear a few more of these! Lol I want to hear both sides of it. I was just curious what I would see different on the 2005 new old production vs the 2013 stand offs

16. ibute21

Apr 26, 2010
    The 2005 production will have the satin ceramic coating instead of the stonewash. It's definitely different but not bad. Also the older versions (including mine) don't have the swedge.

17. MOhunter92

MOhunter92

Mar 8, 2014
    Yeah the description I saw said it was a matte kind of coating, what does that look like compared to the stonewash?

18. ibute21

Apr 26, 2010
    This is probably the closest I have of comparing the two. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

19. MOhunter92

MOhunter92

Mar 8, 2014
    I see now, thanks for showing me that! Yes they are definitely different

20. ice186

ice186

Feb 15, 2013
    IMHO - I've been EDC-ing my 2005 Combat Karambit daily. It's carried in a punishing/active environment. The blade is still centered and the handle is still rock solid. I also have a 2008 - 8 with a back spacer. I carry that off and on. The knife feels like it is built like a tank.

I don't necessarily see Mr. Emerson approving a modification if it would compromise the integrity of the handle/blade. I agree with what was said above...if you have an affinity towards a specific model...go with it, otherwise you will never be satisfied.

Oh, and I also like the stonewashed blades. I have been EDC-ing Emerson folders since 2000. I carry them for a specific "purpose" that doesn't include opening boxes or envelopes and I don't feel that a black blade finish makes the knife invisible or more concealable. The only blade that I do feel the black finish is a necessity for is the La Griffe. I also carry this guy quite often and feel the black color does assist with having it disappear wherever I decide to tuck it but the La Griffe is a totally different animal than his folders.

Cheers and good luck.