Demko AD20 is a Gravity Knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CyberRacer, Sep 24, 2020.

1. CyberRacer

CyberRacer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2018
    After receiving mine (Machine Ground in 3V), I can attest to all of the glowing praise that this knife is receiving.

One thing anyone considering getting and carrying one needs to be aware of is that the knife reliably opens with a quick down/up motion of the wrist.

I think this can get you in trouble if your state or location has a restriction on gravity knives.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off base here.

2. Anderdale

Anderdale Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2015
    You have to have the lock engaged to do this though. Wouldn’t that make it not a gravity knife?

3. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    On the original gravity knives, you had to push a button or lever THEN gravity would open the blade...so by those standards the AD-20(or any axis or button lock) are indeed gravity knives. The wrist-flickability concept got brought into play due to NYC's misinterpretation of the gravity knife concept.

4. CyberRacer

CyberRacer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2018
    On mine there is no lock engagement whatsoever. Just a quick down and up motion.

5. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Oh, and for the record...the vast majority of folding knives are wrist-flickable with the right technique;)

The Aflac Duck, Mistman68 and Danke42 like this.
  6. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Yeah I can NYC flick open backlocks with the proper momentum change.

WValtakis likes this.
  7. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    This would then include any axis style lock ; anything carried in NYC should be completely pocketed they look for pocket clips ....

NorthernSouthpaw likes this.
  8. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I know what your saying as I had a Satu that I could do the same thing with just jerk my hand down and a little up and the heavy blade would go whack into place. It kind of remined me of the old italian switch bladed knives of old.