1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Designing a Behemoth Long Hunter

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by redsquid2, Oct 11, 2016.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    I apologize if this disappoints. Compared to some knives made and sold here, this thing is wimpy. But for me, it is beefy. It will be the beefiest I have ever made.

I think .210" A2 bar stock will be my starting point, and I will go with stock removal, and give it probably a full flat grind.

Backstory: the tooled panel on the sheath was done by my dad about a year ago. Unfortunately, it was part of a kit sheath that was very wimpy. I decided to remove that tooled panel from that kit sheath, and incorprate it into a more substantial sheath of my own design and making.

My dad's health deteriorated over the past year, until he could not longer use the mallet with sufficient force to continue tooling leather. This may be the last piece of leather he ever carved, because he died Sept. 26, 2016. Rest in strength, Dad.

Having remade that kit sheath into something better, I am now designing a knife to go with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planned dimensions:
    Blade: 4 7/8"
    Cutting Edge: 4 5/8"
    OAL: 9 7/8"
    Th. behind plunge line: ~.21"

Other notes:

I think I will go with the design that appears in the drawing, i.e., without the finger notch that is forward of the guard. The blade is wide enough I can put as many fingers in front of the guard as I want, and pinch grip it.

Might be a little too much handle, at a full 5". This is just a preliminary design.

Yes, I will improve the black dye job on the leather.

Tang to be pulled through, threaded. I did not show a nut here because I ran out of scratch paper.

I won't shy away from modern materials, so the spacers will be G10 with contrasting colors.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Also, I thought of an antler, but I don't know how durable that is, and I never did it, so I don't think I have the skill level.

3. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    that is a very nice tribute.

4. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks, woodster. I looked at your Web site. I bow before you.

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Awesome tribute. Basic shape looks good.

Two things:
    1) .21" is twice as thick as you will ever need on a hunter. If you want really beefy, go with .16".

2) The straight drop to the edge in drawing #2 is a bit too abrupt. Try making it where the top of the drop curves back to the ricasso. Sort of like a short version ofteh wood prototype. Personally, I would go with a version like the prototype, but only half as long of a choil.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  6. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    OK. So it would not be a finger choil, but more like a "sharpening choil." I think you are describing what I see on woodster's Web site, here:

[​IMG]

Something like that?

Thank you for the feedback.

7. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Just sitting here realizing I don't need the handle to drop like that. I just thought the drop looked cool, but it would be easier to build without it.

8. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    thanks for the compliment :) but i am still trying to catch up to the rest of these guys ! i think what stacy meant was the right angle from the ricasso's bottom edge,down to where the blades edge begins. i have had knives like that, and when you are cutting through tarps, or making long linear cuts, whatever you are cutting will get caught in that right angle corner. mine is slightly sloped, but that knife is from over a year ago and i slope them a little more more now. the first drawing looks cool, but with the concave shape you lose some of your edge because it extends out so far.

9. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Yeah, I know what you mean about materials getting snagged.

Alternately,

[​IMG]

would still fit the sheath, and nothing to snag on.

10. john april

Feb 27, 2006
    that looks very good. i would go with that idea.

11. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Ha. That other doodle there reminds me: I keep thinking of making a fixed blade sunfish. Don't know why. I don't think I have ever seen a fixed blade sunfish, so it would be something different.

12. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    personally I like the initial top design the best myself, but that's MO
    I would drop the point a little bit

something like this , it's a Randall style, extended finger choil
    [​IMG]

also I've never liked a thick knife and personally have never made anything thicker than .156 and have made most knives at 1/8"
    I think .156-.125 is plenty thick and cuts better

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  13. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    I think something that thick could be cool if you do a very drastic tapered full tang with an equally drastic distal taper on the blade. I have a couple .26 thick 5160 blades I plan on doing that with....someday. If you take your .21 thick and finish it out to 3/16 or a little less and have a major distal taper , i think it could be quite nice of a slicer FFG with a 1.5" wide blade.

i like your first profile but with a sloped choil like woodsters, the key there is to get the slope to be tangent with the bevel transition going on up the blade.

That is going to be an awesome knife, I say go for a stag crown with a scagelesque style handle. Especially if your dad would like it! Awesome tribute.

-Tim