1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Devil forge or Atlas mini

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Shadow44, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Shadow44

Shadow44

Mar 5, 2019
    I’m in canda looking to get the atlas mini but the cost when converted and shipped here ends up $472 plus possible import duties

The Devil forge
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/251333124599
    Is $266 shipped plus possible duties

What is th general conciseness?
    They are both beginner forges
    I only care about blades no forge welding. I personally like the look and finish better of the atlas however that can’t be the deciding factor.
    More function! Keep in Mind there is over $200 price difference where I can almost buy two of the cheaper model in case longevity becomes an issue.

2. Killgore

Killgore

Jan 11, 2013
    I don't know what the general consensus is but I would say atlas every single time. Personally, I'm not a fan of the square forges with the burner pointing straight down at your work. With the atlas, the burner appropriately comes in at a tangent and creates the swirl to help even out the heat.

So for only blades, I would definitely pick the atlas mini. If you were to do some other general blacksmithing stuff, it might be hard to fit it into the atlas. Something to keep in mind.

3. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    I agree, I've got a square forge I purchased - not so good layout with burners pointing straight down. I built another with round and burner coming in from side. MUCH better - I'd go with Atlas for sure

Atlas Knife Company likes this.
  4. kn4wd

kn4wd

Jan 20, 2014
    Atlas, made by a knifemaker for knifemakers. had one for a few yrs now and if it failed today I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

5. Shadow44

Shadow44

Mar 5, 2019
    I just pulled the trigger in the Devil Forge will do a full write up when it arrives to Canada Ontario, with a video may help the next person
    With the amount of amazing reviews and
    The seller seems to have it figured out. People are praising his burners and how powerful they can be.
    At face Value I would take the atlas mini but not at the price it costs to get in Canada.
    Will repost in a few weeks
    With full unbox and video

6. running bird

running bird

Sep 29, 2015
    I’ve had a 2 burner oval forge from Devil Forge for 3 years now. I haven’t had any problems with it. One think to keep in mind is you may need to buy a regulator from a local hardware store. The Devil Forge regulator is a European propane tank regulator, so it won’t fit with American style tanks (Not sure which kind of tank you guys use up north, but I’m assuming it’s the same as us).

I just went to the local hardware store and picked up a 0-15 psi regulator. They usually cost around $15-$20. There is a modification you can do to the regulator that comes with the forge to make it fit American style tanks, but it requires a bit of work. On the Devil Forge website you’ll find a tutorial on how to go about that if you choose to.

7. Shadow44

Shadow44

Mar 5, 2019
    All the newer reviews say he’s fixed the issue for North America. So hopefully the regulator is plug and play !!

8. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 16, 2010
    Three glowing reviews within 3 hours, thanks for the support guys. I wonder if there are any ABS masterstmiths using Devil Forges?

Fish30114 and Justin Schmidt like this.
  9. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    HIGHLY doubt it. Probably going to upgrade my homemade forge to an atlas

10. Shadow44

Shadow44

Mar 5, 2019
    Well for who might be interested the devil forge has arrived with everything needed for North American market
    Here is a 1 min video

Thom Moss likes this.
  11. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    Just like the guys said,a big hot spot right where the flame is hitting
    For an even heat you can pump the blade in and out with a tongs
    I never feel more bladesmithy than when I'm doing that :)

12. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    I'd try close off those big open ends more with fire bricks too to keep some heat in

13. rjedoaks

rjedoaks Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Hard to tell if you are just testing or serious. You might want to research a bit on how to heat treat using a forge, if that is going to be your method. Nice unit, but big for doing blades. The beauty of the atlas is the efficiency. You will use a lot more propane.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  14. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 16, 2010
    Wow, that video shows exactly why top-down burners in big square chambers are bad for bladesmithing.