1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Did I Remove the Temper?

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by redsquid2, Jan 31, 2017.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    When gluing up the scales to the tang, I decided to speed up the cure time by subjecting the knife to heat. placed it directly in front of a halogen work light, with a foil reflector:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I took it out of my "heat lamp epoxy curing oven," the blade and corby screws were hot enough that I could not keep my fingers on them.

If it ruined the temper, I don't know if that will change the hardness, or cause the edge to roll or chip or what.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

--redsquid2

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. RockFireForge

RockFireForge

Dec 16, 2016
    When tempering watch for color change of the knife steel you want golden straw color for basic knife steel such as o1 or 10xx series if it turned blue then that's to soft for a knife but would be a good temper for a spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Additional information: I do not know how hot it got exactly. I put a digital thermometer in front of the lamp to measure the temperature, and the thermometer just went blank, like it could not function at that temperature. All I know is the lamp says use a 300 Watt bulb.

The steel of this knife is AEB-L.

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    You are fine. If there was too much heat, your handle would be toast - literally.

Too hot to touch is 150-180F.
    Hot enough to affect the temper is 450F and higher.
    Hot enough to ruin the temper is 600F and up.

5. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    What a relief. I went ahead and shaped the handle, putting a lot of contouring on it. It would have been a shame to scrap it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015
    I dig those curves, baby :cool: