Disappointing Customer Service Refusal Due to Mod

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by toocool006, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistedLogic

twistedLogic

Jun 8, 2017
    Rolex will not service a watch that has been modded in any way. If an owner simply replaces the bracelet with a different one, Rolex will not service the watch. Their position is the appearance is a fundamental aspect of the product. They did not put the "Rolex" brand on the altered product, so it is a counterfeit product. The altered product is not their design. Rolex has successfully taken legal action against companies selling altered watches with the "Rolex" brand on them, on the basis that they meet the definition of counterfeit. This is not to say it is illegal for an owner or third party to execute any mod they want. CRK may feel the same way as Rolex.

That said, I sympathize with the OP. A washer seems like a small thing to ask for.

KELAMA and Honed_Edge like this.
  2. fq55

fq55 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 1999
    I wonder what constitutes a non serviceable Modification in the eyes of CRK.

If for example a Sebenza has an aftermarket engraving and was reblasted in the process, would that void the warranty.

3. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Modifications are basically any change to the knife that isn't reversible. Putting a different backspacer on, like one from https://www.jekylltohydedesign.com, is reversible. Blasting done by someone other than CRK isn't reversible and would be considered a non-serviceable modification.

CRK is really responsive as well, if you have questions they are the best to give you answers: http://chrisreeve.com/pages/contact

RyanRaben likes this.
  4. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Even scotchbright will void the warranty.

KELAMA likes this.
  5. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Depends on how badly it's been done. I would encourage anyone thinking they want to sand down their scales to carry it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

6. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    In the end it is their call. If they feel they can't get it back to their standards or it may be harmful, they are not going to touch it. Someone down the line may believe this inferior product is what they are putting out.
    Take the scotchbrite- they could reblast it, but it may not have the crisp lines and this could reflect on them.
    They spent years earning their reputation for quality and don't want to throw that away, on another's work. They are very nice people, and I am sure they wish they could help, but not at the expense of their business.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    RyanRaben likes this.
  7. amngwlvs

amngwlvs

Jan 21, 2020
    Not a CRK owner at present but am certainly interested in the brand and in an effort to educate myself for potential future purchases I've begun some reading. This thread is a bit of a weird one. As a bit of a watch enthusiast the above comments about Rolex are accurate but at least you'd have the option to have the watch serviced independently as needed.

In this case it wouldn't appear that sourcing 3rd party washers are an option and while I agree that CRK has the right to refuse servicing on a knife that has been modified it's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow for the OP. So you buy a car and modify it, knowing full well you're voiding your warranty, and something goes wrong so you take your car to the repair shop. You know going in that the car won't be covered by warranty but then you're refused service even when you're willing to pay for it. You're left with a $xx,xxx, 3500lb boat anchor and a bitter taste in your mouth and not because they won't warranty it but because they won't even service it when you've got cash in hand.

I understand that Chris will only accept the best quality for his knives which is the major appeal in the purchase but I'd be a little hesitant in shelling out $375 at an authorized dealer to buy a Sebenza 21 today knowing that if there we ever some sort of accident that wasn't covered by the warranty I'd never be able to replace the blade.

I'm not here to crap all over the brand because, as my first sentence alluded to, I'm very interested in owning a CRK one day but after all, this isn't a disposable $30 knife. This is a grail knife. A "lifetime" knife; and if you can't get it serviced I think it becomes more disposable than CRK should be...

8. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    They are lifetime knives. There are some things which do not last a lifetime. I have an Original Sebenza, and I can't get the blade replaced for it. It's almost 30 years old, works perfectly good, but if I break it I can't replace it. That's how some things are.

CRK will happily go above and beyond on many issues for their customers. From blade replacements to whole knife replacements. They are tools and they warranty and maintain them as such.

I understand where you're coming from with the car analogy, but I don't quite agree. I hesitate to split hairs further on a topic I know even less about, but the risk of CRK working on the knife and creating a problem (because something breaks or renders the knife even more damaged) is real.

9. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    ^^ one up :)
    If you are worried about blade replacement, which is unlikely to be needed accept under warranty unless you abuse the knife, buy something that is still in production.

10. aVyD

aVyD Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Glad you’re considering a CRK! They’re great knives. A few things you are mistaking, however. When you buy a car and modify it knowing full well that the mothership will no longer service it, you have the option take it to an independent shop and they would be more than happy for your business. It’s not like the dealership refusing you is the end of the line as far as repairs go. And in the case of CRK knives, if you break the blade or somehow snap the scale in half in some freak accident, they will happily sell you a new blade and scale. But if you very intentionally put a hole in the blade or carved away on the scale to modify it to your liking, they won’t. There is a difference. Any accidental damage is an out-of-warranty repair, where your knife is still under CRK’s lifetime warranty but the repair must be paid by you because you broke the blade/scale which isn’t covered. If the new blade were to crack due to the press-fit thumbstud or the new scale friggin just broke somehow due to a manufacturing defect, they’d warranty it for you no questions asked.

11. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Anyone know the measurements of the two washers of a Small?.
    Or where to buy ones that are compatible?.
    For me it is a nightmare to send to CRK because of customs. I have already suffered it.

12. EveryDayTaco

EveryDayTaco Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 29, 2018
    I've been sent washers from the the mothership and they fitted just fine.

kreole likes this.
  13. EveryDayTaco

Apr 29, 2018
    Maybe you're not consuming enough soy.
    I bet you've never even taken apart your knife before because I've been sent washers from the the mothership and they fitted just fine.

14. EveryDayTaco

Apr 29, 2018
    What did I say about the grovelling...

15. aVyD

aVyD Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2019
    You’re wrong, but I’ve got better things to do than waste any more time arguing with a mouth-breather. Drag your knuckles a little more, ape.

rpstrimple likes this.
  16. Stang Bladeworks

Stang Bladeworks

Feb 19, 2018
    Which customs, and what happened? I thought crk was mostly safe from their bs.

17. russ25

russ25 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Unbelievable this thread is still going.....

Josh K likes this.
  18. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    I kinda doubt it. Not saying that you're a liar or anything, because I hardly know you, but CRK's policy since <dawn of time> has been to not send washers out for the Sebenza, Mnandi, Umfaan, etc. Maybe you were sent some Umnumzaan washers, maybe you begged on the phone, who can say.

I'm not shocked this thread has take the turn for the worse, I'm a little surprised it didn't happen earlier.

19. amngwlvs

amngwlvs

Jan 21, 2020
    Firstly, thanks to all the more senior members who are more knowledgeable on CRK and offered their input in relation to mine.

I'm happy to hear that they will go above and beyond for customers - that is certainly a vote of confidence and having watched the CRK shop tour online I wouldn't have expected much less of Chris. Of course, there will always inevitably be the issue with almost any specialty item designed to last a life time - parts can't be made forever for discontinued products. I can understand that, financially I just wouldn't make sense to keep making parts for discontinued product in the event you need a couple a year for warranty, maintenance, etc.

Your last point about CRK damaging a customers modded knife further is something I hadn't thought deeply about but I can understand that being a legitimate concern. Thanks for the reply!

Certainly a novel thought. :D I currently view a CRK as an heirloom piece (don't get me wrong, if I buy one it won't be a safe queen) and I would want it to last not only my lifetime, but could be passed down. Other brands/knives don't really evoke that feeling the same way so knowing you could replace parts forever as a fail safe is peace of mind on a $375 folder. Though I fully understand, that isn't realistic.

Thanks, I've heard great things! They admittedly didn't do much for me a few years back but the lust is coming around!

You bring up a valid point about being able to service your car at other mechanics - the car thing may not have been the best analogy when I had mentioned servicing a Rolex independent in the paragraph above... o_O

Those freak accidents are what I was referring to... In the very unlikely circumstance that you break a blade, scale, etc and they deem it not covered by warranty the option to buy a replacement blade at your own expense is certainly nice on something like a Sebenza 21, which you can still buy new from an authorized dealer. Although, from what I've read, I don't think it would ever be an issue!

Hopefully the OP can get this sorted out somehow. If the lack of washer availability renders the knife useless and OP needs to replace it, I some how doubt after all of this he'd replace it with another Sebenza.

20. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I mean absolutely no disrespect to OP or anyone in this thread, but when you make a permanent modification to a knife that is not intended by the manufacturer, you own all consequences from that point forward. So you can either 1) accept the consequences 2) not buy a modded knife. It is pretty simple when it comes to CRK. I don't know why so much hemming and hawing is going on about this. Of course it is upsetting when something happens, like with OP, and the warranty is void. But that is a risk you take.

If you want a spydie hole, buy a spyderco, if you want an emerson opener, go buy an emerson, if you want a flipper, go buy a flipper. Enjoy the knife as it was intended from the manufacturer.

aVyD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.