1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Discovery Chanel's Sherpa Show

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Shavru, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Shavru

Shavru

Feb 20, 2014
    So, Just started watching the new show about the Sherpas of Everest. They are starting with one Sherpa who, if he summits this climb, will set the record with 22 summits. They interview his wife who is at home making a huge steamer full of Momo. She wishes he wouldn't climb because she is scared for him. Looks like it is going to be a good show, talking a bit about the relationship of the Sherpas and the Mountain.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    Dang, I was looking forward to it! I missed it, darn! Hope I catch a rerun!!!

3. Shavru

Shavru

Feb 20, 2014
    Miyolangsangma showed off her palace, Chomolungma, well. Good show but expect to have to read a LOT of subtitles. They covered the 2014 serac collapse above the Khumbu Icefall that killed 16 guides most of whom were Sherpas. We haven't gotten to the Earthquake last year yet. Overall, well worth watching if you get the chance. I hope they show it again soon for ya BB.

4. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great post, my sister Kanchhi and Chokpa loves to make Momo when ever they get free time.

5. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    I enjoyed the show very much. It portrayed loving caring people. Happy and polite. I felt terrible about the the deaths of the Sherpa's.

6. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    And they are very good at it too.

7. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Good show! I was surprised at how well provisioned the base camps were set up. They were more like hotels. The Sherpas do very hard work even between hikes. Seems theres always something to be done. I didnt realize it took them ten weeks to get acclimated to make the trip. Prolly more like ten years for me? I dont have enough fat on me for that kinda cold:D

8. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    I've been wondering how often the Sherpa's actually go to the summit. I'm hoping to ask Pala first chance I get.

Seems like the climbers make the news, huge big deal, they climbed Everest but the sherpas do it regularly and pack all the stuff to keep the climbers comfy, and climb the mountain like a paper route every day.

Probably don't get rich doing it either. I hope they do but they probably don't ya know?

9. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Here's an article from the BBC commemorating the conquest of Mount Everest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/29/newsid_2492000/2492683.stm

1953: Hillary and Tenzing conquer Everest

View attachment 631247

The New Zealander Edmund Hillary, and the Nepalese Sherpa Tenzing Norgay, have become the first to reach the summit of Mount Everest on the Nepal-Tibet border.

They reached the top of the world at 1130 local time after a gruelling climb up the southern face.

The two men hugged each other with relief and joy but only stayed on the summit for 15 minutes because they were low on oxygen.

Mr Hillary took several photographs of the scenery and of Sherpa Tenzing waving flags representing Britain, Nepal, the United Nations and India.

Sherpa Tenzing buried some sweets and biscuits in the snow as a Buddhist offering to the gods...​

And this interesting recent article with comments by one of Tenzing Norgay's sons:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...crated-says-son-of-Sherpa-Tenzing-Norgay.html

10. AdamFuzzyballs

AdamFuzzyballs

Mar 16, 2015
    I'm watching it now and I gotta say the most surprising thing to me was the "traffic jam" of hikers trying to go up Everest. I knew that it was popular but I didn't realize it was so crowded. It used to be an immense ordeal, but I guess now if you have the money, you're good to go.