1. Despite 2020 presenting more than its share of challenges, I'm thankful for all of you, and the community you guys have created. Hope that your homes are full of happiness, your fridge well stocked with leftovers, and your homes warm & loving.

Discovery Channel has fired Cody Lundin

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by JD Mandrell, Feb 17, 2014.

1. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    According to Lundin, it's over "safety issues" with filming "Dual Survival" that he disagreed with.

2. JD Mandrell

Apr 20, 2001
    Dear Campers,
    Unfortunately, I have been fired by Discovery Channel for differences over safety and health concerns on the show and will no longer be a part of Dual Survival.

Although I’ll miss elements of the show, what I’ll miss the most are my fans and the opportunity to teach - on a global level – life saving skills, indigenous culture, and values of integrity and respect toward our natural world.

I have received numerous letters from viewers. Many are from kids, or their parents or grandparents, describing in detail how the show has changed their lives. It has brought families together, inspired kids to go outdoors, and motivated moms and dads around the world to take that family camping trip, many for the first time. If I can use a TV show to encourage people to turn off TV and turn on nature, I have done my job.

Thank you all very much for your support over the years. Be safe and prepared, and maybe I’ll train with you in the woods some day!

Stay classy,
    Cody Lundin

3. dopenerd

dopenerd

May 8, 2013
    Lame. Cody and Dave were dual survivals best team. I hope they dont team joe up with someone else. . I liked the show but they are making it lame and over dramatic.

4. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    Now I'm curious as to what these safety and health concerns actually were.

5. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Maybe they wanted him to wear shoes.

6. link2derek

link2derek

Oct 8, 2010
    Ditto. There's probably some sort of non-disclosure agreement, though, so don't hold your breath. Whatever it was, I'm certain that Cody did the right thing.

7. 91a2jettavr6

91a2jettavr6

Mar 18, 2013
    Ohhhh mannnnn...now I'll have to find someone else to pee on a handkerchief while I watch :( .

8. stanley_white

stanley_white

Nov 28, 2001
    I would rather have solo survival with just Cody.

IMHO the other person was always a distraction.

-Stan

9. Bowman1911

Bowman1911

Dec 12, 2010
    Haven't had tv in almost 5 years. Oh well.

10. 91a2jettavr6

91a2jettavr6

Mar 18, 2013
    Neither have I. I've had a Macbook, which is different...I think ;) .

11. tholiver

tholiver

Feb 22, 2003
    That sucks. Didn't like the last season that much, the new guy kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I fear from now on Discovery channels survival shows are going to deteriorate into more "Dude You're Screwed" quality levels...or worse.

12. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Then they'll add a ticking clock and contrived 'contests' for phony drama. If they don't already.

13. Woods Walker

Woods Walker

Jun 3, 2010
    Well that's it then. The show is done. As in done. No more. At least for me anyways.

14. baldtaco-II

baldtaco-II

Feb 28, 2006
    I wonder how one spins “I've breached my contract and been dismissed” into “I didn't want to partake in that show but they fired me anyway”. Just to make sure you don't change your mind huh.

15. tknife

tknife

Mar 18, 1999
    I am very bummed about this as Cody seems to be one of the ultra few, legit survival instructors who was on a show. I am hopeful that another channel will work with him. The best would be him on his own without a wazoo partner. But I don't know if that would get ratings.

16. jbass

jbass

Dec 26, 2009
    That's a shame. Cody really know his stuff. And it isn't just the primitive approach to survival. He wrote a very informative book titled "When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes" that covered both primitive and more modern survival techniques.

17. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    Maybe Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury can team up again with their own show, their version of the Odd Couple :)

18. JD Mandrell

Apr 20, 2001
    This show is dead in the water without Cody IMO, half the fun of watching him and Joe Teti was to see how many times in an episode Cody would give him that "you're an idiot" look. :)

Cody paired up with Myke Hawke might be kinda entertaining, although I could actually see them getting along so much it would be boring.

19. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    I agree - Cody brings a whole different character and world view to these types of shows. Not many hippie/shaman types out there, I would venture to say.

20. Therealtwitch

Therealtwitch

Feb 8, 2014
    Cody should team up with mick dodge. Call it no shoes, no shelter, no problems