1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Disk Grinder kit

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by JTknives, Jun 21, 2019.

1. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    This is not a thread for a batch signup. What I am wondering is if anyone would mind if I went through the design and kinda revamped it. I’m not talking bad about Kevin’s design I just see some changes that I personally would want. This changes would be implemented in the batch run. One of the things is keeping the edge of the rest at the center line of the disk as it rotates. As well as keeping the same spacing from the edge to the disk at any position. This means you just change the angle and go. You don’t have to move the rest in or out every time you adjust the angle.

2. Brian Stucker

Brian Stucker Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Sounds good brother

3. Joker66

Joker66 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2014
    +1

4. LARRYZ10

LARRYZ10 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 6, 2010
    I think that it is great that some of you are designing a workable disc grinder table. I have one that I bought some years ago from Beaumont Metal Specialties which was expensive ( I thought) but works beautifully and I am so happy with it. I use the rest on every knife I make ay some point. Maybe you guys could borrow some concepts from the table . Just my opinion. Larry

[​IMG]

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  5. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Would you be doing just a work test or the whole shebang?

6. CWendling

CWendling KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 10, 2005
    definitely interested

7. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    The plan is to cut the entire kit. I have a lot on my table right now so I don’t know when I will be able to do it. But I can at least mess with the design and cutout a sample. But like I said above this is not a thread to round up a waiting list. I started it so we can talk about the design and kick around tweaks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Justin Schmidt and Tin.Man like this.
  8. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    Just want to let you know, the disc grinder work rest was created by Kevin Powers, not Kevin Mcgovern. I know both Kevin's have a 2x72 design out there floating around. I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone was confused. Both Kevins are very generous with their designs and knowledge so I'm sure no one will have any issues, just want to make sure credit goes where it's due.

Kevin Powers likes this.
  9. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i think that would be a great idea.

10. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    I actually have one of these Powers tables, I got it when he was clearing out inventory and got it at a very good price.
    It requires assembly and welding, It is a very sturdy setup, however it's not a precision machined high quality fit and ease of use.
    Particularly in the sliding in and out of the rest, it binds, could be the waterjet pcs have a bend in them. It works for me and I haven't been motivated to solve the problem. I don't rotate the table alot so it's not a huge deal for me that the table spacing changes.

For an improvement, I would like to see a machined guide or channel for using a sliding miter gauge attachment (like the one for a Hardcore grinder) . would be great if the channel fit the Hardcore version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  11. Kevin Powers

Kevin Powers

Jul 23, 2015
    The entire basis of my design had to meet specific criteria that I had in my head. Those were:
    1. Had to fit in a flat rate box.
    2. Had to be sturdy with high articulation.
    3. Was able to be cut out of a 12”x48” piece of steel so that 4 could be cut from a single sheet.
    4. Could be simply tacked together by anyone. (Anyone can tack weld).

When I designed it, I had trouble coming up with ways to get the table to pivot at the centerline of the disc without “falling” away from the face of the disc while prescribing to my criteria above. I started moving things around and things became bulky or would require machining that I didn’t have available to me at the time.
    The sliding table design was so that the gap caused by the table articulating could be closed, and so the table could be removed. FWIW friends of mine have cut the base off under the disc so they could grind longer blades and the table still functions great.
    I did this entire project as a way to give back to the knife making community. I have sold a few “kits” in the past to cover the cost of my materials. I have given many away. My 2x72 that I use is based on the Sayber OSG Open source grinder. I’d be nuts if I said you can’t change my design. In my opinion my design has served its purpose and I’d welcome seeing any new changes. +300$ disc grinders are ridiculous, hopefully you aren’t trying to do that. The entire purpose of the project was to get us poor folk and hobbyists a sturdy, cheap, useful table. It was never a business endeavor because honestly there’s really no money in it.

12. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    Since you aren't talking about doing it now I would be interested. Once work is steady again a disk grinder and a hardness tester are my 2 must haves.

13. Salem Straub

Salem Straub

Oct 20, 2008
    Hey Kevin, wanted to say thanks again... that's an empowering thing you did for the community. I've been running my Powers disc now for several years and I can't see anything about it that could be much improved for my uses.

14. Kevin Powers

Kevin Powers

Jul 23, 2015
    Salem you have the OG version. You were the first to make one. A long time ago I remember seeing it on your Instagram or FIF, can’t remember which and I had a little chuckle.

Tin.Man and Salem Straub like this.
  15. Kevin Powers

Kevin Powers

Jul 23, 2015
    I find this happens if the pivot bolts are too tight. I put a really thin washer in between the radius plates and the table arms. Also you lose no accuracy if you open up the table arm slots a little. Put a small chamfer on the edges of the arm.

coldsteelburns and HSC /// like this.
  16. Aidenag

Aidenag

Apr 16, 2009
    Quick and easy detachment of it would be the main thing i would want to see JT. for those with the space and funds for multiple disc grinders, not an issue. but i use the Neilson hub and swap out grits pretty often so having it be something that doesn't add a lot of time to doing so would be a HUGE plus for me.

Natlek likes this.