1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

DLC coating (ZT & Brous)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by R. Deckard, Sep 7, 2019.

1. R. Deckard

R. Deckard

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm new to dlc coated knives so wondering if someone can help me out. A few weeks ago I purchased a new Brous Blades Specter from a reputable online dealer and returned it because of what appeared to be blemish near the flipper. I bought a new ZT 0450 and it appears to have the same "blemish" .... Is this normal for dlc coatings?

ZT 0450

[​IMG]

Specter

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  2. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Your pics are broke.
    My experience with ZT's DLC is it will blemish easier than say, Cold Steels DLC.
    It's a flat DLC rather than a glossy DLC.

3. R. Deckard

R. Deckard

Nov 28, 2018
    I fixed the images. It's almost as if those uncoated spots are from something that may have been attached when the blade was held during the coating process?

4. Kaibab270

Kaibab270 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2019
    That's where the lock bar interface is. Its supposed to be like that.

5. Kaibab270

Jul 20, 2019
    DLC is not invincible though btw. It is very hard and durable but will slowly wear off eventually with use. Alot of the times scratches youll see on it are just material stuck to the blade and you can wipe it off with oil and a rag. But it certainly isn't damage proof.

R. Deckard likes this.
  6. R. Deckard

R. Deckard

Nov 28, 2018
    Ahhhh, ok. Thank you! Shame I didn't know or else I may have kept the Specter (even with the flipping action being terribly rough). Odd that when I sent those same images/inquiry to Brous, the rep who responded acted as if it were a blemish.

Thanks again.

Kaibab270 likes this.
  7. Kaibab270

Jul 20, 2019
    No problem! That is odd, maybe they just wanted to make sure you were a happy customer. I suppose you could have the coating on that surface but DLC has a pretty low friction coefficient and I certainly wouldn't want it on the parts that keeps the blade from closing on my fingers :D none of my DLC blades have ever had it on lockup parts.

8. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    A1C8FCDE-7C3D-4F94-82E9-0FE27789ECC3.jpeg I have that exact same ZT knife purchased brand new from authorized dealer. It’s supposed to be like that. Nothing to worry about

R. Deckard likes this.
  9. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    As mentioned, thats the lock face on the blade. Every folder thats a liner or frame lock has that. Its just more noticeable because everything is black. The lock face needs to be clean metal for proper engagement and to prevent lock slip.