1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Do I need to experience a PM2?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by CoolBreeze135, Feb 12, 2019.

Is the PM2 a must-have for a true knife nerd?

1. Yes! You need at least one.

64 vote(s)
    73.6%
  2. Eh. They are good but probably overrated.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. The PM2 is nothing special.

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Hey all,

I consider myself a certified knife nerd. I love folding knives and fixed blades, big knives and small knives. I've owned around 100 different models of knives over the years, but I have never ever used a PM2. Honestly, the main reason for this is that the aesthetic of the PM2 has never really appealed to me.

This week, I have started to wonder if I need to actually get a PM2 in hand and see what all the hype is about. I usually like a utilitarian mindset, and the PM2 seems to gain the most attention from people that like good usable tools. I get the feeling it may win me over once I get a chance to use it.

I already have a Benchmade 940 and a Manix 2 Lightweight (among other folders). I don't truly need another full-size, fidget-friendly EDC knife. However, I'm starting to feel the call of the PM2.

I'm still on the fence, so I'm just curious what you all have to say? Do you think I should give the PM2 a shot? Why or why not? What sold you on it or caused you to sell it?

Kreyzhorse likes this.
  2. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    Give in! :D I was the same way. I thought the handle was too odd shaped and the blade reminds me of a duck head. But I got one cheap and I've learned to love it. It's comfortable, reliable, and a good amount of blade. I'm not blown away by it but I definitely see the utility. I have a modified S30V piece but I'm considering getting a user in M4 or S110V (or the recent 20CV sprint) so I can experience a standard model.

CoolBreeze135 likes this.
  3. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I am mostly a ZT/Kershaw guy, but do love to try other brands and Spyderco is also one of my favorites.

I had purchased PM2's for my son and son in law, but never bought one for ME.

This past Christmas, a good friend gave me a PM2 and I have been loving it - Spyderco knives always seem to have a nice thin grind that makes them great slicers, and the PM2 is no exception.

I have grown to like and appreciate the compression lock, which seemed awkward to me at first but is now very intuitive to use.

I also think the PM2 is one of the better looking Spyderco knives, which can be somewhat odd-looking, albeit function over form.

best

mqqn

DJC72 and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  4. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    OP would you mind telling us about the 100 knives that you have tried? That will help us tell whether you will like PM2.

AlwaysTomboy and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  5. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    When I first started getting into knives, I read & watched all the hype surrounding the PM 2. The entire knife world had me convinced it was the most amazing thing in the universe.

When I got one (S110V) I thought the action and lock were unique and cool, but there was no light from above and no angels were singing. It also took up way too much space in my right front pocket. I thought it was an OK knife, but beyond the compression lock I just didn’t get the hype.

It sat in my safe, mostly unused, while I continued with more pocket friendly blades for EDC.

Then one day I needed a real work knife for serious use. The PM 2 came alive in my hands. The more I’ve used it and the harder I’ve used it, the more I’ve grown to enjoy and respect it.

While I still don’t like it in my front pocket (YMMV), along the way I realized it carries fantastically in a cargo pocket.

IMO it’s appropriate for icon status. I’ll never be without one. It’s one of the best ever as a functional tool and you shoud try one. Just don’t expect pocket jewelry (although some will disagree).

6. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 23, 2014
    My main hobbies are backpacking, bushcraft, camping, and fishing. I've had a bias towards fixed blades, so probably 2/3 of the knives I have owned have been fixed blades. Some fixed blades I am very fond of are:

Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter
    Bark River Gunny Hunter 3V
    Mora Kansbol
    LT Wright GNS Scandi
    Cold Steel Mini Pendleton Hunter
    Mora Garberg
    ESEE 6

I primarily use fixed blades in the outdoors on the weekends, but use folders on a daily basis for utility stuff. Therefore, they get a carried many more days out of the year and see lots of duty around town, home, and office. I like things that are utilitarian, lightweight, usually pretty slicey, fun to fidget with, and simply designed. My favorite folders are:

1. Benchmade 940-2
    2. Spyderco Spydiechef
    3. Benchmade Bugout
    4. Massdrop x Ferrum Forge Gent
    5. Spyderco Manix 2 LW S110V
    6. Kizer Domin
    7. Spyderco Dragonfly 2
    8. Benchmade Mini Griptillian
    9. CIVIVI Praxis

I also quite like the Zero Tolerance 0562CF based on asethetics, feel, and action. However, I am finding that it is probably a bit too thick and heavy for my style. I think the PM2 may replace it to round out my top 10. The PM2 seems like it has comparable durability while being lighter and slicier.

Kreyzhorse, sharp_edge and lieferung like this.
  7. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    It really doesn’t matter what anyone says, the only way to know is to have one in hand, use it and only you can make that call then.
    I’m gonna tell you, hell yes you need one. It’s a good functional knife that will bring a smile to your face when you use it.
    There is no hype about them. It’s a popular model that a lot of people happen to like very much, so naturally there’s quite a bit of discussion.
    I like my two.

8. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I think you will like PM2.

9. ShadyMethods

ShadyMethods Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 9, 2016
    You seem like you're at least interested in it, so I'd say pick one up and use it for a bit. You'll know if it's right for you and if not, there's always a market for PM2s. And, this is coming from someone who's owned a few PM2s and sold all of them. I liked the lock and the ergos but couldn't get over how odd the thing looked and the thin tip. It wasn't for me but I'm still glad I tried it out. There were a bunch of knives that I didn't think I'd like that ended up staying in the collection and vice versa. I'm still looking for something else with a compression lock that I like better and I hope the Caribbean I have coming in tomorrow does the trick but I won't know for sure until I handle it for myself. At least that's my mindset.

10. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I am probably not in the crowd that loves the PM2 but it is a good solid knife ... blade grind and geometry make it a great slicer ...

I prefer my Manix IIs in the Spyderco camp ... and there are other knives/brands I prefer ...

but I have nothing bad to say about the PM2 ... took me awhile to try one it just looks unbalanced somehow ... but the longer handle fits my larger than average hand and it works well ...

so if it calls to you I would say try it ... it's truely the only way you'll know.

11. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I've got two pm2s great knives. Pm3 is a bit more edc friendly and fits in the pocket better.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. Once you get one in hand you'll like it. The handle is very ergonomic. But is the blade idea for you? Some folks find it not for them. Either the way it looks or the tip too thin. Some say for instance the cold steel American lawman is more there type.

As I mentioned the Para 3 will fit in the pocket better. For me the pm2 and manix are too big for me to fit my hand in to get anything out. If you don't have anything else in your pockets it's a non issue.

Its a slicey blade but other knives are thinner behind the edge despite it appearing to look thin. So some blades have a better geometry for cutting say cardboard (ex Delica) but it's great for slicing fruits and vegetables regardless.

I actually like the military better than either. Though wish it wasn't tip down only.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  12. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    You just described the pm2.

Like you, it took me forever to "give in" and get a pm2. I didn't like the way they looked, and they seemed too pedestrian. I was convinced I only liked liner or frame locks. Now it's part of my daily kit, I rarely carry something else. The assumption is always that it will be the pm2 in my pocket. I recently got a second one in M4 (my s110v was missing a scale screw, that's the only excuse it took). And I wasn't even considering anything else. I wanted a backup pm2 more than I wanted any other folder.

If I didn't have a fixed blade on me or quickly available to me at most times, maybe I would get something a little beefier. But Spyderco really did figure out "pocket knife" for me in a big way.

13. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I have collected them in the far past and have owned perhaps 150-200 nib in various steels and flavors. I have sold them all but two at this point, and have NEVER carried one. Sure, it's a good knife and many folks love this model, but it's never turned my crank enuf to carry one. :oops:
    BTW, my favorite maker is Spyderco, and my favorite EDC of all times is a Spyderco Slysz Bowie.

kniferbro and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  14. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Well you have a couple of nice sedans there . . . not everyone likes, can appreciate or accept the "limitations" of a sports car but if that person is you then yes . . . you absolutely MUST have a PM2

Why is the 940 a sedan ? I was singing the praises of the action of my 940-1 minutes ago in another thread. The blade is a dog though . . . nice and safe and comfortable. One doesn't have to "worry" about breaking the tip. The handle is nice and "pocket friendly".
    Doesn't sound like there is a lot of cutting going on there does it. ;)
    zactly . . .

Why is the Manix 2 a sedan ? I had one Manix 2 LW (traded it for an Endura 4). The tip is better by a good bit than the 940 but still sluggish and ho hum at piercing and slitting with the tip (think opening packages) or say cutting a hole in a mat or thick leather to fit around something, precision trimming etc. The behind the edge is way, way, way too thick for a pocket knife (nice geometry for an axe or a chisel . . . maybe (I literally have woodworking chisels with skinnier edge geometry).
    Getting back to that Manix tip . . . so wide . . . why is that good ?

THEN there is the PM 2 ! That all changes in the Paramilitary 2 . . . the blade thins out nicely along it's distal taper though the root is still thick it is much more capable and eager out there where the actual work gets done. Thinner behind the edge and a bit shallower edge geometry. The pointier tip really is noticeably better at piercing and precision tip work (looks better to). The handle is more realistic than either the 940 or the Manix. Don't get me wrong I like the shape of the 940's handle but the PM2 is longer and so accommodates more grip options and the Manix is kind of a one trick pony handle; super ergonomic as long as you always grip it that one way and for all that, the Manix handle is too wide and too thin for my taste even in that one grip.
    I very much prefer the compression lock to the ball lock on the Manix by a lorry load. True the Axis lock is in someways preferable to the compression lock.

And the selection of blade alloys in the PM2 is to die for.

I'm not everybody meaning other knives are better for those for whom they are better but I have one 940-1 (that's enough unless I bought one to mod the blade) and I HAD one Manix LW in S110V
    but
    I have four, count 'em four, PM2s and not looking to sell or trade any of them ! ! !

Why the comparison to the sports car ? The PM2 is a higher performance knife with some slight "limitation", that being a more fragile tip that is not suited to prying.

OK so you can't bolt a snow plow on a Ferrari or take all the kids to the soccer game in it.
    Other than that I bet both the Ferrari and the PM2 will make you have a big grin on your face when you take 'em out to play.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  15. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Try it and sell it if you dont like it. They're easy to sell.

I like it well enough, but much prefer the Manix 2 and Shaman when it comes to Spyderco's.

16. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    We are almost diametrically apposed.
    I never could get past the blade shape of the Slysz Bowie to try one.
    The Para 2 is easily what I'm looking for in a work knife. If I changed it at all I would cut the top of the blade off, hole and all and it would look like my number one work knife my full flat ground 1.9mm thick Ti Lite IV.

All that belly way down there near the tip on the Slysz ? ? ?
    What's that for ? ? ?

17. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Answer: Yes...give one a try and you be the judge; Reselling it is not a problem if you don’t like it.

18. ric75

ric75

Jun 2, 2017
    You should definitly try the Spydiehole with a compression lock.

For me the PM2 is too big and heavy.

Para 3 fits perfect.
    Para 3 lightweight should be better because it's lighter. And also cheaper.
    I would wait for the Para 3 LW if I were you.

19. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989

May 15, 2017
    In my opinion, yes. Even if you don't buy it, find some way to handle one, perhaps at a brick-and-mortar store. I've handled a blurple S110V model in a shop before, and the base model in S30V is now on my wishlist. I know I will love it. Considering how collectors with many PM2s of their own keep buying up all the stock (yes, even the base model in S30V and black G10), I suspect I will eventually have to order it online. But it will have to wait as I bought a Para 3 yesterday. Yup, collectors are doing the same with the Para 3 as well and I was lucky to get my hands on one yesterday. Just two pieces left in stock! Anyway, I never liked the Para 3, but handling it totally changed my mind. I still want a PM2, though. I think they will complement each other very well.

20. Arkham

Arkham Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I currently have two PM2s. Standard s30v black g10 from when they first released and a orange g10 with xhp steel that I bought because I couldn't help myself. They both do nothing but sit in the safe. The reason why is quite simple yet I know a lot of people will argue with me about it, I think you're main carry blade should be totally ambidextrous. The PM2 is easy enough to open with both hands but I find the compression lock extremely challenging to close one handed with my left hand. The ergos are great, the weight is spot on, and the action (in my right hand) is totally amazing but because of the difficulty in closing the knife with my offhand there is no situation where I would take a PM2 over my Manix 2.