Do you ever buy a knife with the sole purpose of it being a safe queen?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BloodyDonnie, May 28, 2020.

1. 954Ink

954Ink Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Out of curiosity. What were/are your dress knives?

2. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    I carry a Cold Steel Grik. Don't have pics of everything, but will see what I can find.

3. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Duh, I missed the Umfaan description. :rolleyes:

guy g likes this.
  4. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I like the Grik; it's cheap and ugly, but stout and comfy to use. Wish it was thinner bladed, though. It doesn't cut as well as the Tuff Lite so I lean towards the Tuff Lite instead.

jlauffer likes this.
  5. Kmikaz3

Kmikaz3 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I do unfortunately, seeing how limited knives are in Canada compared to our neighbor from the south, i will preserve what i can. Some, i decided to actually use, are my most cherish tho, but i took a risk, as i cannot send my knife to manufacturer... the risks are to high to get them stolen by our border pirates...

Yakkiebush likes this.
  6. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Carried a Tuff Lite before the Grik. Liked it, but wish it had some belly.

7. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I have bought ones long ago because I thought there were nice, not intentionally to become safe queens, but became ones since I used others instead, and I was afraid to spoil them. So now I want to rotate some in so I can try them. It may take awhile, as I want to enjoy the ones from my early collecting stage, and I want to find homes for ones I know I will not use (that has only mild success). :D The only ones I do not want to use are because they are sentimental or too old with issues, but have wonderful stories to tell. They just look old and I can imagine how they were used by a boy or older gentleman back in the day!! Maybe in a pocket as the old men played checkers at the local store, swapping tales.Getting schmaltzy again.

8. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Would need a wide angle lens to get them all!! Plus they are scattered everywhere in boxes and drawers......maybe a few other places too. It would take too long to find them all. Life is good. :rolleyes: To quote Hickok45 on boobtube.

9. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    That’s a good thing. We should strive to be environmentally conscious. If we were all to use our entire knife collections we would end up deforesting half of the country (Not to mention more than a few of us would end up with forearms like Popeye).

n2s

10. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Just do not start shaving your legs if you run out of arm hair. :p Maybe you could give yourself a haircut after all this, but I throw in a disclaimer, that would be at your own risk.

Yakkiebush likes this.
  11. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Almost never, but I have made an exception of sorts. A while ago, I sold a 2006 Microtech Socom Elite tanto in D2 and regretted it so much that I picked another up for my collection. I do carry it, but infrequently, and I very intentionally avoid doing anything with it that could damage it or cause it to rust as it is nigh-on irreplaceable. Otherwise, all my rare knives and expensive knives get carried, scratched, sharpened, reprofiled, etc.

guy g likes this.
  12. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Personally I do not. I understand why people do tho. I tend to sell off knives that don’t get carried

marrenmiller, Yakkiebush and guy g like this.
  13. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    It’s a process; the first 10 knives that we buy, we use. The next 10 we certainly want to use, and the 10 after that we dream about using....but once you get into the hundreds of knives, they are safe queens, and there is little point in pretending otherwise.

n2s

14. Professor

Professor Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 1999
    I think this Gentleman said it best. To add, knives as investments are a tricky thing. Often cumbersome to liquidate in times of need, sometimes due to pride. That said, heck yeah I have one or two investment-intent knives. Diversification of assets and the like, right? :) It's all been said before, but never a bad idea to revisit this subject matter from time to time, as these are funky times.

Stay safe and healthy out there, all.

Prof.

guy g, woodysone and Quiet like this.
  15. ChrisLee

ChrisLee

May 26, 2013
    I bought a DLT pm2 20cv with DLC coating. I had every intention of making it a edc blade but I put a set of 3D carbon fiber scales on it and now I just admire it every now and then. I do carry my pm3 in M390 everyday.

16. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I try to stay under 30 knives, sometimes under 20. Even at that I know it’s way too many. I get my enjoyment from using them. I have one listed on the exchange that I bought new and it’s set for almost seven months. I’ll take a loss on a purchase I didn’t get any use from. Part of it I reckon. I’m slowly trying to thin the herd. I fully understand people buying strictly for safe queens tho. To each their own, doesn’t bother me either way

17. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    All my knives are bought to be users, but no matter what "new favourite" I buy, the same three or four knives always seem to end up back in my pocket. I have way too many knives that I hardly ever use anymore, but I rarely sell a knife.

18. Dknight16

Dknight16 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2013
    I haven’t thought about them this way, but every fixed blade I own I guess. Certainly the large ones.

Oh, and I am a big Hinderer fan, so all of the Kershaw and ZT models he designed that I’ll likely never carry. And the Gerber one.

19. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    The one I had in mind when writing the post was a LionSteel integral with a damascus blade and polished handle. I just couldn't bring myself to carry it and scratch up that polished finish, so I moved it along to purchase something else. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the knife, and if money were no object I would've undoubtedly kept it, but selling it paved the way for me to experience another knife. Which brings up an interesting point; were money no object perhaps I'd change my mind and have plenty of safe queens.

[​IMG]

Llasi, ChazzyP and guy g like this.
  20. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I have never bought a knife with the intention of a safe queen.

I have a couple that have morphed into that role, mostly because I have many other knives to use and dork up.

I’ve avoided buying a few stellar knives at great prices, largely because I know they would fall into a “too nice to use” category. One of those knives in particular will haunt me forever! ;)

Dcdavis likes this.