Do you ever keep a knife you really don't like?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by robertj298, Jan 23, 2021.

1. robertj298

robertj298

Mar 7, 2014
    I recently got this knife that I really don't like but I
    love the way it looks. The pull and snap are pretty weak
    and it seems almost frail but I really like the way it looks.[​IMG]

2. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    Ah, single blade trappers. It was what brought me down the rabbit hole. That and @2Dead 's pictures on google of various single blade trappers.

guy g, Will Power and 2Dead like this.
  3. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    I tend to only buy knives that "speak" to me in some way, so I don't really have many knives I don't like. I do have a lot of knives that just sit and are rarely, if ever, carried or used.

That's something I'll have to address at some point as I don't really have room for boxes of knives, and boxes for the knife boxes. I need to take a serious look at what I enjoy and/ or use most, keep those, and pass the rest on to others. But I have a lot of other stuff that needs to be done first, so no telling on when I'm going to get around to thinning the knife herd.

guy g and meako like this.
  4. yoko

yoko Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 4, 2011
    If I don't like something I sell it asap

There's no point to keep it (speaking for myself)

guy g likes this.
  5. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Yep. Happens to me all the time. I've given away many more knives than I've sold, and I've kept many more than I've given away. If nothing else, they can serve as a reminder not to buy more of those kind.

guy g, t.willy, Will Power and 3 others like this.
  6. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I probably have a few around that I don’t really like but I can’t remember.

7. Cutfinger

Cutfinger Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I'm carrying and really enjoying using a knife, I figured at first was unacceptable...

8. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Depends on the knife. If the knife in question was to try anew pattern or size, such as a "medium" Buck 303/373 size stockman, which I did not like in the least, or a small sunfish/elephant toenail. I'll give them away.
    Some knives/patterns I'll never try: The Peanut size, for example. I already know it is too small, and I'll never carry it.

Others, like the standard two blade Trapper, It ain't oft, but I have been known to tote one about every other blue with raspberry/hot pink and green plaid moon. I'll keep 3 or 4 in the accumulation.

I have never sold a knife. I've lost/misplaced, and given away a few. And, as a youngling, there was a time or dozen I took a "Frost knife shaped object" I'd been given on a bicycle ride, or out in the canoe or row boat, and "accidentally" threw it into the Mississippi River proper from the old US HWY 136 toll bridge (as far as I could throw it downstream from the bridge) when on my bicycle ... (more than a few "Shimano" below Zebco 202 quality reels, and their junk/garbage bicycle components also went off the bridge,) or overboard in/on one of the slue's of the Mississippi River, when I was using step-pop's canoe or rowboat.

guy g and mnblade like this.
  9. PaperKnife

PaperKnife Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Yeah... that's the problem... they all "speak" to me. :D

guy g, glocktenman, Cutfinger and 2 others like this.
  10. 2Dead

2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    You're welcome ;):D

As to the question, sometimes I give away or sell them but a lot of times I put them away in the stash and forget they're there.

As for your jack up there, I'd still keep it. You never know when a knife with a light pull is exactly whats needed.

11. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Yes, dozens of them. I have a hard time letting go. And per the op, I never really liked trappers for some reason. Never carried one for more than a day. But probably still have a half dozen of them too.

guy g likes this.
  12. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I had a German Bull large folding hunter with muddy looking green jigged bone scales....there was nothing wrong with it at all...except I just found the blade shapes ....not to my taste? Rather than pollute local waterways @afishhunter o_O:(:cool::eek::D:D:p It got a new home in a GAW...
    @OldHercDude mate thats me too.

guy g likes this.
  13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    If I give it an honest try and it doesn't click with me I pass it along.

meako and guy g like this.
  14. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    LOL yeah, I can relate. :) I'm not quite that bad, but so many do, it's how I ended up with boxes o'knives.

15. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    I have a similar problem; I have never met a knife that I didn’t like. There have always been high performance knives and moderate performing ones, but even the worst ones are great examples of a “bad knives”. :confused::):rolleyes:

n2s

guy g and OldHercDude like this.
  16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Cheap knives that I don't like end up at the landfill... sent many a Rough Ryder that way.
    More expensive or nicer knives I'll give away or have a GAW here on the forum... sent many that way too.
    GEC knives that I buy and don't "click with" will end up being sold... mostly at a loss.
    There's also some knives that I've gotten as gifts that I don't care for and they just sit in my "gift drawer" in the garage.

17. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I think it's inevitable when you're interested in Traditional knives that some will fail to connect with you, there's just so many patterns & variants. Canoes, full trappers, full Congress just cannot carry them. As you collect, your tastes refine and you become more discerning, but it takes time and there's a lot of idle knives in my house ;):D

18. glocktenman

glocktenman

Jul 20, 2008
    In my experience I have received knives as gifts that I don't care for in style or quality. Those are often moved to another owner. I have a few that have sentimental value but I like them because of who gave them to me and not for what they are in style or quality. I've kept those. My tastes have also changed over the time I've been carrying knives. There was a time I had probably four or five canoe knives and several single blade teardrops. Next thing you know.....I'm not digging them like I did. I move them on to someone else. I've also caught myself buying a knife on-line with no personal experience and when they arrive they're thicker or longer than I expected. Same thing goes, let someone else enjoy them. I've got some I'm going to go through tomorrow and I acknowledge right now there are some I'm getting rid of for the above reasons.

meako, guy g and Will Power like this.
  19. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    If I am Gifted a knife , I keep it period . If I buy a knife that I do not like , I Gift it .

Harry

meako, guy g, Sacto and 3 others like this.
  20. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I am too lazy to sell the ones I don't like. Sad.

guy g, mrknife and chris97 like this.