Do you ever keep a knife you really don't like?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by robertj298, Jan 23, 2021.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Same here... never-ever sell a gift knife.
    It makes me very sad when I see somebody selling a knife that I gifted them.
    I'd rather they passed it along to somebody else that would enjoy it more.
    As for me, I keep it no matter what... they will always remind me of the generosity of the giver.

meako, Sacto, Old Engineer and 4 others like this.
  2. huntnfishin

huntnfishin Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2009
    I keep em until the drawer gets full. Then dump em. If it’s a high dollar item I turn it around right away (50 bucks or more...) and sell it. I think it’s all part of the hobby. Sometimes something looks so good in pics but not so great in the hand or pocket. If it’s a gift I keep it.

meako likes this.
  3. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    To answer the op question.. Yes.. Here is my take on this.. If I have a knife I dont care for I put it away.. I then may try it at a later date.. If it clicks, its a user, if not I put it away and the process starts all over.. I have found that tastes change along with circumstances.. :D
    John

4. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Nope!

mrknife likes this.
  5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Yes I do. Otherwise I wouldn't have any Case or GEC in my collection.

meako and huntnfishin like this.
  6. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I consider knives to be in two categories; those I like to carry and those I like the looks of. I don’t mind having several in the second category, after all I like knives. I don’t ever reach for a Congress style or a Slim Trapper for EDC use, but I like the looks of them and that gives me enough pleasure to buy and keep several variations. Far worse for me (monetarily) is if I really like a pattern - then I accumulate enough to get me through Armageddon! OH

meako, Bloefield and huntnfishin like this.
  7. DavidV81

DavidV81

Feb 12, 2019
    I have several cheaper knives that have never been carried and probably never will, but not worth the hassle of selling and shipping. That said, any knife that I buy and don’t carry for a year or more ($100 or more), I try to sell. For that reason, I have a lot of cheap knives that I don’t care for.

meako and huntnfishin like this.
  8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I tend to hang onto them until I can find a donee who will appreciate the knife, or at least won’t be insulted by the gift. I have received some ugly knives as gifts; of course I will treasure them always, especially if they come from my son.

meako likes this.
  9. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I don’t think I have knives I dislike. Just some I use more than others. If it’s a gift I keep it because it means something to me. I’ve picked up knives through the years that are cheap junk and I tend to throw those out. One in particular I remember was a lock back with a bad lock.

I try to only buy knives I think I’ll like. I have ended up with some decent knives that I don’t necessarily dislike, but I don’t use them much. I tend to hang on to these figuring when my kids get old enough for a knife they might enjoy picking through them. Of course they’ll probably rather have a knife they’ve seen me carry and use.

meako likes this.
  10. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I give away knives I don't like to people I don't like.

11. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I have Boxes, Bins, and Buckets of knives that Bore me. I like most of them on some level. The reason I still have them is because selling is a hassle, and I am a lazy person. I have given away a few $thousand of them.

meako likes this.