Do you ever purchase or commission a knife to commemorate an important event?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SanLuisObispo, Dec 17, 2020.

1. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    Like a school graduation, birth, wedding, death, etc?

I know for example that Tom Selleck commissions firearms from Searcy or one of the historic makers in London to commemorate important events in his life.

I was curious if some also did the same with knives? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  2. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    Me, no.

3. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    5 years ago I was talking to Alan Davis about a knife commemorating 25 years brain tumor free 2/27/1991) but due to the expenditures of my now ex-wife, it never happened. This February will be 30 years, but I doubt I will spend that much on a knife now.

4. spoonrobot

spoonrobot

May 1, 2004
    Not necessarily the most important, but I almost always buy a new knife when I get a new job. My career progression has been a wild zig zag so often the knife I had that worked in my prior job is wildly impractical for my new job. Recently I swapped out a Victorinox Swisscard for a Cold Steel AD10, that kind of thing.

5. onionfan

onionfan

Nov 29, 2008
    Gave all the groomsmen in my wedding a nice knife. Gave the best man a mop Bulldog Brand stockman. Bought my dad a custom shop Buck 110 for his 60th birthday. I give knives for gifts all the time. Knife people are weird like that. :p

6. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    Knives are cool in that they are durable goods, they (usually) don't take up a lot of space and they don't require an FFL.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  7. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    I think it would be cool if you had a kid in elementary school to order them a Randall for example, that would arrive by the time of their senior year in high school. I wish I would have known.

8. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I've only done it once. I never purchased a CRK before. The Sebenza was kinda the "grail" folder when I first got into knives hot and heavy a couple decades ago. Even when I had the means, $450 for a folder seemed steep.

A couple of years ago I decided to go back and get an official business degree to go along with the one I had earned from Hard Knox U over my professional career. My mentor suggested setting a small reward goal to spur me along. I decided that I would purchase a CRK as soon as I graduated.

October 2019 I earned my BS in Business and purchased a large Inkosi from Spark in November there after. I ended up with a knife that will last for generations that I have promised myself I will carry and used (and I have). Everything i pull it out to cut something i remember what I had to go through to earn it.

SanLuisObispo likes this.
  9. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Yes I commissioned 2 katanas when my last 2 daughters were born

both identical is size but very different in style

one by the late great Phill Hartsfield and the other a collaboration piece from the late great Louis,Mills and Rick Barret

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

W
    hen I got my pup Maximus my dear friend Sam Lurquin made me a white Maximus as a present

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  10. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    That's really quite beautiful. All of them. All the more so when you imagine them being passed down for 5, 10, 20+ generations...

11. Hal

Hal

Feb 26, 1999
    Yes - back in January of 1998, I quit smoking and used my cigarette money to finance the purchase of a Darrel Ralph Krait.
    Sadly - just as I was about 2/3 of the way to saving the $495 - my mother passed away & I went back to smoking.

About 35 years earlier in my life, I had gone on a business trip to Philadelphia with my dad. Mom and I went shopping around the antique stores there & I ran across a place that sold swords. I whined and pleaded and tried my best to worm $25 out of my mother to buy one of the swords - but - the best I could do was get a promise that if I saved my money, we'd come back next year and see at that time.
    I scrimped and saved every penny I earned & as much of my allowance as I could spare for a year.
    I managed to save about $23 or so - and when we returned, mom talked me into getting a sort of beat-up looking old civil war era saber instead of a modern new looking display sword.
    Since she was putting in the balance required to buy the thing, I went along with her suggestion.

12. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    217FAABD-A2F8-4D61-9E3C-95006BFE3BD8.jpeg B1B53D00-3BAC-4DBC-83E7-D85127A99B15.jpeg On my Dads birthday. The year after he died I ordered my Randal model 1.

The second year I let my son design and order his own Randall he was 13. I told him it was for his high school graduation. If he stayed on the straight and narrow path. It arrived a couple of months ago and is still unopened. Even though I wanted to check it out. He said he wants to wait till his Graduation in the spring.

I ordered another for my daughter that is a couple years out.

When I got my Journey man plumbing license I bought a Stag handled Randal model 21 little game. From an authorized dealer

Then two years later when I got my Masters license the same dealer had a Randall Model 19 with a matching stag handle. They look like a matched set.

I’m going to try to order a Bowie timed to arrive for my retirement. But that is a long time from now.

Everyone complains about the wait for a Randall. But if you time it right they make great gifts. Your $50 deposit locks in today’s price. Figure roughly a $25 increase each year. When the knife comes in you get it for a bargain price.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    jideta, JParanee and SanLuisObispo like this.
  13. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    That's really cool. I think I might just take a deep breath and order something from Randall...

eveled likes this.
  14. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    It’s not that big of a deal, $50 down, put $2 in a jar each week to pay it off in 5 years. It goes by faster than you would think. Have fun, going through the options.

If you haven’t found it, there is a Randall sub forum here under “Collector forum”

You can start a thread there and people will help with the options and build the perfect knife for you. Then we can all wait 5 years for a picture.

15. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    Thanks, good idea! It's ~6 years now... ;)

16. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    That’s what they said for my sons. It came in at about 5 years. It was actually quicker than the previous one. So you never know.

17. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    For my 55th birthday I asked Gene Shadley if he’d consider making me an authentic copy of Abraham Lincoln’s pocketknife. Lincoln has always been one of my heroes and he is a hero to Gene as well. Lincoln had his 6 blade congress in his vest the night he was assassinated.

Gene agreed. He took his research seriously and even traveled to the Smithsonian Institute in DC where the knife is on display to examine it. Every aspect of the knife is an exact replica except for the steel. Gene used stainless for the blades (CPM 154). The frame, bolsters, escutcheon and pins are all nickel silver. The scales are ivory (pre ban). Just an amazing piece. 6 blades and it is only 5/8” thick. He has made a handful of others in this pattern (mine was the first) but mine is the only example with nickel silver and ivory, same as Lincoln’s
    DF1D6FA0-7AE7-4ADC-97E4-8CBFB0D4EB71.jpeg

18. HJK

HJK Moderator Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    I used to do a lot of ocean kayaking and white water canoeing in extreme places ( before I became an old fat man with health problems ) and I used to buy or commission a knife to commemorate some of the good trips. The first one was a custom camp knife in 52100 by the great Canadian mastersmith Wally Hayes to replace my Carbon V Cold Steel Trailmaster that performed so badly for me on a trip to the Nahanni River in the Northwest Territories. I quickly learned that I had neither the heart nor the money to actually use a knife like Wally's on a hard trip When I bought two Busses I never really needed to buy more after that, so I switched to less expensive keepsakes, like a paddle or hat, reserving a nice knife for other special occasions like "I have money and see a nice knife Day"- always my favourite day.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    PiercedBill and SanLuisObispo like this.
  19. matt009au

matt009au Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I've got a CRK made on the day each of my kids are born . CRK were really good catering for me .I was just lucky the kids were all born on days the CRK factory was working .

20. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I've purchased plenty of knives to commemorate a special occasion*, but I'd not commission a knife ever again that had to be ready by a specific date. I've not had good luck with it personally, and I don't want to say that knife makers are generally unreliable, but man, there sure are an awful lot of stories out there of makers missing deadlines. No way I'd put my trust in that nowadays.

* Which hey, occasionally might be something I completely made up in order to justify buying a knife LOL

Ron Sabbagh and HJK like this.