Do you keep SAK spares?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by 22-rimfire, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Sawl Goodman

Sawl Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2018
    I like to have a spare or two or three of the models I like and use most. Some are stashed in strategic locations; others are parked up in a drawer. I minimize the cost by buying them either used or on clearance.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  2. Sayoc01

Sayoc01

Nov 19, 2009
    No,I only have one S18! It's yellow handle prevents me from losing it!EDC & put in the same place at night so I don't have to find it in the morning!Don't really need a spare. I like the S18 better than any other SAK so I'm a happy camper! Only reason for me to get a spare !
    S18 is if SAK discontinues the S18

Storm 8593 and guy g like this.
  3. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Depends on how you define a spare. I have multiples of patterns I like but they all get used. Probably have no less than one billion Classics stashed around the house and vehicles, my entire family depends on those daily. I love the Tinker and Super tinker so I have multiple of those with different covers that all get used, either carried or stashed around the house. What I don't have are backups that never get used.

Storm 8593, guy g and jackknife like this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I used to stash knives "around the house", but find it a waste for the most part. I do keep a couple knives in my pickup beyond what I carry normally. My spares are available for use (no mental restrictions), but for the most part they are unused until needed.

If I misplace my usual SAK for a period of time, I'll grab a spare.

Multiples of the same pattern could be considered "spares". I don't draw a hard line relative to the definition. I think of traditional knives such as different makes or scales as not really being the same knife although they may be the same pattern. SAKs are a little different in my mind. A yellow or black handled Tinker for example is still the same to me as a red. I don't keep spares of alox models generally although there may be a few. Most were purchased on impulse as I tend to use the same couple of knives all the time (years possibly).... until I don't.

I have been only carrying a Small Tinker daily nearly exclusively of late until a couple days ago. On occasion, I have a small fixed blade on my belt also. But I just purchased one of the Rough Ryder Reserve knives and have that one in my pocket for use. I really wanted to try out one of these knives to make up my mind on them as far as value and construction. So far, I have been impressed with the one I have. Time will tell after I sharpen it a couple times. So, now I have two knives in my pockets.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  5. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    This happens. Happened with my old favorite side locking Adventurer model. It was re-introduced with a liner lock a year or so later. The problem is knowing one is discontinued. They don't exactly announce such things.

What if you misplace that S18? Nice to have another around for a day or two until the old one turns up under the bed or whatever. If it were me and I really liked the S18, I'd get another one just to have it available ready for use. Kind of like money... I like extra.

I seldom loose a knife, but I misplace them. Putting one the same place at night every night works, until you didn't. I doubt having the yellow handle will save you.

Storm 8593, Sawl Goodman and guy g like this.
  6. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Okay, I gotcha beat, cray. I got about a zillion of them stashed around. Sometimes the wife will need a knife or scissors and her purse in to of arms reach, so theres classics in drawers in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, car glove box. They are also used as the Giddion's bible of knives for giveaways. We encounter people who need a knife and instead of loaning one, we give a classicist for a coin. The non knife people we run into seem impressed by a knife blade, scissors, small screw driver and file, and tweezers in such a tiny package that goes right on the keyring. Most the women folk seem drawn to the little scissors that cut like the dickens.

We've long lost count or how many we've given out.

7. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I buy them used at rock bottom prices, TSA forfeitures. Clean, sharpen, oil and out in the universe they go!

Storm 8593, guy g and jackknife like this.
  8. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Yeah, theres a lady that shows up at the local gun show, and she has boxes of them. 5 bucks for one, 3 dollars each for five or more. Most seem to be lint and pocket dirty, but with intact blade edges and seem to have been carried but not used much. A little Dawn and warm water and a drop of oil in the joints and good as new. All TSA confiscations.

SAK classic; the gateway drug to non knife people.

9. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I've got a thing for the various translucent ones. On the bay, if you work it right, I end up paying right about $5 a piece for them. So damn useful. Had to de-gunk and sharpen the one my Daughter keeps in her room just yesterday.

I was looking to see if I had any pictures of them but I don't. Then I looked at all my other knife pictures and in most of the ones I take on my kitchen counter, near the fruit bowl, there is usually a classic sitting right where we always keep one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

allenC, Storm 8593, jmh33 and 4 others like this.
  10. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    I think the teeny tiny little SAK classic just may be the most under estimated pocket knife on the planet. I now thats a hell of a thing to say on a knife forum, but there is is.

The thing is, its not just a little pocket knife. Its a knife, a flat or Phillips screw driver, bottle opener if SD tip is used right, scissors, tweezers that double as simple lock picks/handcuff key, toothpick/plastic computer button probe or whatever. The scissors are surgical ER worthy sharp.

I started to carry a classic about 1995 or 96, after watching my wife beat up, and torture one that I never thought would live out the week. It did. then it made a moth, and they another month. When she was in the shower, I'd sneak intoner purse and examine the well used little thing, and aside for a bit of wobble in the blades/tools, it was doing okay. I was impressed. I had always thought the classic a bit of a joke. I knife for suits that only need to open mail.

I was wrong.

I did "the experiment" of carrying a classic of my own, and makaing myself reach for it if I needed a pocket knife, instead of the stockman, bigger SAK, or whatever else I was carrying that day. I expected a failure. What I got was a humongous surprise. It actually worked for 98% of what I needed. Short of food duty, it opens Amazon/UPS boxes, cuts garden jute twine, cuts black plastic electrical tape, adjusts gun sights, gets stickers out from between the dogs paw pads, reams a pipe bowl, trims the end off a good Dominican cigar, and even opens those indestructible plastic blister packages that can defeat small explosive charges and wolf fangs.

For the next few decades my classic was always on my keyring in a leather pouch sheath so as to be instantly available without being attached to the keyring, but secure. I used the ever lovin dog poo out of it, and it never let me down. Even slicing key limes in Key West for vodka tonics, and cutting fishline and bait out on the flats hunting bonefish and red snapper. Had mailed ti to myself where we were staying, and on leaving I gave it to the airport shuttle driver.

Classic; the little knife that can. And those translucent are pretty! I've got green, red, and blue.

Storm 8593, jlomein and guy g like this.
  11. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I still think the Classic is a "bit of a joke" for a real knife. It is sort of a pen knife+. I am sure it would do just fine for cutting open a package or store packaging... and so forth (little jobs). It is the flimsy nature of the blade and pivot that gets me. I can handle a peanut as a primary knife, but I choose just a little larger.

"Classic; the little knife that can. And those translucent are pretty! I've got green, red, and blue." Here I thought you went all minimalist on us. :D

12. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    Guilty....

I keep spares of Classics, many are left overs from my machinery salesman days. I gave out hundreds of them over the years.

And a couple of Recruits, Tinkers, Solos...

13. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001

The Classic can be expensive. Example my brother in law using one to open a blister pack on Christmas, ER visit with four stitches. He has a PhD but I don't let him have anything sharp anymore :D

14. Sayoc01

Sayoc01

Nov 19, 2009
    A "billion " & a "zillion"....ya'll really like to exaggerate!! I will just say during tax season if I was your CPA I would make a point of really going over your accounts! 22-Rim,misplace my S18!! Ain't gonna happen, it's in my pocket ,at night
    it's taken out of my pocket & put in the same place every night!! When I use the S18, I finish what I need it for then RETURN IT to my pocket!

Storm 8593, guy g and 22-rimfire like this.
  15. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    My primary carry SAKs are an orange Pioneer and a Compact. I keep a spare Compact in the event I give the one I happen to be carrying away to someone who doesn't own one (which I've done several times), and I have two spare orange Pioneers that I purchased (cheaply, when they were still available) in the event I happened to lose one (or two).

To be fair, my wife might tell you that I have a hundred or so "spares," but that's a different thing altogether ;)

Storm 8593, guy g and 315 like this.
  16. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I keep buying more,whenever theyre on ale,just bought another locking 111mm,am not sure od name now,when my alpineer that i edc is done,ill switch to this one,i have maybe 7 saks now,and will probably get more,i find larke locking ones more practical,and will be getting more in future,the last one i got was 25dollars on sale,like half reg price.Am done with buying expensive useless knives,the ones i have moee than 100 just sit in drawer and collect dust.All i use is F.dick and Henckels butcher knives,Victorinox paring,saks and opinels,which I have maybe 4 paring and 6,7,8,9,and 10 knives.They all perform(cut)very well and are easy to touch up on ceramics.

17. hsherzfeld

hsherzfeld Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2016
    I have what I refer to as the Drawer of Shame. In this drawer is a box containing four Tinkers, four Small Tinkers, and three Recruits, all of which have main blades that are over-sharpened and ugly. It's called the Drawer of Shame because I was the one who messed up the blades on these knives, in my attempts to teach myself freehand sharpening. I would obsess over getting the blade razor sharp, go too far with a diamond plate, swear at the ugly scratches on the blades, and fork over the $20ish for a new SAK. Now that I have a Lansky sharpening system, I no longer add knives to the Drawer of Shame. These seven SAKs lie idle like aircraft hulks at the boneyard, kept only as a source of spare scales, toothpicks, and tweezers.

guy g and x20 like this.
  18. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    I have too many SAKs for aure, but not a single duplicate.
    But I do have a few spare toothpicks, tweezers, and mini-screwdrivers.

guy g likes this.
  19. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    Yes, I keep a couple to four spares of models I use and like. My current carry has been the Executive for which I had one spare. When I read they were dropping the model, I bought a second.

Storm 8593 likes this.
  20. desmobob

desmobob

May 5, 2003
    I have a bunch of spares. I eventually bought enough Campers, Huntsmans, and Farmers to put one in every daypack and backpack I have (which is several!). That leaves me with a one-hand Trekker, Camper, Huntsman, Farmer, Hiker, Fieldmaster and Classic to keep in my knife drawer. :)

Storm 8593 and 315 like this.