Do you prefer 4V or CPM Cruwear in a folder, and why?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jstn, Aug 7, 2020.

1. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    So I have an abundance of knives, and with a baby on the way, I have to get rid of some. The PM2 is one of my favorite models, and I have a few sprint models I have recently acquired in 4V and CPM Cruwear. I wanted to see which most of you prefer in folder, as I have used Cruwear a bit in the past but I haven't used 4V at all. I really prefer a bit more toughness over edge retention, so a blade that is less prone to chipping is important to me. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I suppose I should add too that I have another new PM2 in 20CV, and while I have a lot of experience with the steel and really like it, I could be persuaded to part with it instead of the Cruwear or 4V models.

2. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Do we prefer 4V or CPM 4V?
    Am I missing something?

3. jstn

Jun 27, 2012
    My bad, I meant to type 4V or CPM Cruwear...

4. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    They're both in a similar category of properties. The CPM CruWear does have a bit better corrosion resistance though. What is the hardness on the steels in the two knives?

jstn likes this.
  5. Murdamook

Murdamook

Nov 3, 2010
    As a user of Zwear, that stuff is bomb proof. I don’t have much experience with 4v.

6. jstn

Jun 27, 2012
    I am not sure on the hardness. They are both Spyderco PM2 models, and I've not been able to find any info directly from Spyderco disclosing that info.

7. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    So far, the only 4V I've seen in a folding knife has some type of coating on it. 4V will rust quicker than Cruwear. Those hidden non coated areas could form rust without maintenance, same with Cruwear. Keep the 20CV and ditch the tool steel if you don't want to be bothered having to inspect/clean the knife every time it gets wet. For edge retention, I prefer 4V, for toughness, it's Cruwear. It's really not that noticeable between the two using them. They all get dull if they're used. IMO, the most difficult to sharpen is the 20CV. But that just may be me. The easiest is 4V.

8. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Exactly what I've noticed. That's why I prefer cruwear over 4v.

jstn likes this.
  9. jstn

Jun 27, 2012
    I appreciate the info. Sounds like Cruwear and 20CV may be the ones too keep for my uses. I'm not crazy about the red G10 with the 4V model anyway.

10. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Congrats on your baby , that's really exciting :thumbsup::)

jstn likes this.
  11. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    I'd keep the 4v and Cru-wear. 20cv is a dime a dozen.

12. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I'd chose Cruwear without hesitation from those 3 steels. Has the best blend by far IMO. 20cv won't be nearly as tough and Cruwear is pretty resistant to staining if cared for.

Most of my Hinderers in M390 and 20cv are going to go on the block soon ... I wish they had an option for Cruwear for those.

jstn likes this.
  13. jstn

Jun 27, 2012
    It does seem like the better option for a "hard-use" knife. My only Hinderer is in S35VN, which isn't super tough, but it's a bit better than M390.

JJ_Colt45 likes this.