1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Do you recognise this knife, what is it used for, is it rare???

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Flagg, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Flagg

Flagg

Jul 31, 2017
    [​IMG] (
    9 1/4 inches long
    4 1/4 inch blade

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    Pretty sure it’s used to cut things

3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Known as a fruit sampling knife. Not especially rare, and used to be fairly common as a trade tool for grocers.

4. HappyDaddy

HappyDaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I've got something similar. My dad always called it a grapefruit knife.

5. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    Here's a Case version of a melon tester knife.

[​IMG]

6. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I've seen piles of them with various names on them (apparently they're give-away items in the agriculture trade, you see them with various company names on them like you might with pens for other companies) and in my experience they are super common, at least anywhere that fruit is grown.

There are fancy ones, too, though--I've seen a pearl handled one from Case or Buck or someone, at some point.

7. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    Melon tester, sausage knife, etc.... Most of the collecting of them is done with an eye toward the fancy ones, and by people that collect advertising items. You could probably get into the high 100's or perhaps break into the 1000's with all the different brands they advertised on them. Drug companies even offered them as ersatz pill sorting knives to pharmacists at one point.

They were also used as dirks sometimes. This was usually done by stomping the frame shut while the knife was open, creating a makeshift fixed blade.

Schrade was a big maker in the US, but was later supplanted by Colonial, who in turn faced stiff competition from Italy and Japan.

8. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    Melon Tester is what I have always seen them called. Not especially rare, but I don't think they are in current production by any US slipjoint companies.

9. Nixelplix

Nixelplix

Mar 26, 2003
    Rough Rider makes a few different versions of them.

10. Flagg

Flagg

Jul 31, 2017
    "Outspan" is engraved on the scales which I recollect from my youth as meaning an orange.
    I thank you all for your input, interesting

11. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    Pretty cool regardless, nice shape! if it is for fruits and things, I'm sure its sharp

12. USMCPOP

USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    Outspan oranges - from South Africa.

[​IMG]

13. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    lol id drive that

14. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Orange Car - When a Rollover needs to result in highway bowling. :thumbsup:

orangejoe35 and Mecha like this.
  15. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    G-10 car, awesome.

16. Frozen Bear Trading

Frozen Bear Trading KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 22, 2019
    Cut some fruit you will

17. Flagg

Flagg

Jul 31, 2017
    Brilliant, I Love a gaff.

18. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    Melon tester. According to some sources (I think Berine) law enforcement asked knife companies to quit making the long ones because certain classes of people were using them as weapons they could break off in the body. I know for a fact they were commonly carried by my fellow teens when I was younger.

Lance Leon likes this.
  19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Doctor's knives are similar and are available. I know Rough Ryder makes them and probably a few other companies. The little Fox Elite folder labeled a "Gentleman's Knife" by AG Russell is very similar and would likely be used for the same kinds of tasks as a "melon tester".

The GEC Ben Hogan #65 is another similar knife that was made.

20. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    The Ben Hogan would have been called "dirk knife" in the old days. The melon testers was created for just that in the original form.