DO YOU WATCH VIDEO REVIEWS BEFORE BUYING A KNIFE

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BillZee, Jun 8, 2020.

1. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019

Most of the time. I never rush a purchase..my funds are so limited that I have plenty of time to look and see how others are liking it.

MTHall720 likes this.
  2. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Not always but a lot of times, yes.

There are no brick and mortar stores nearby.

I enjoy all the variety of content, and I can usually glean some value out of the video.

Not to mention...it costs nothing. I’ve learned quite a bit from more than a few channels.

A few I frequent:

Virtuovice
    Big Brown Bear
    Michael Christy
    Nick Shabbaz
    Really Big Monkey
    Rough Rooster Knife Sharpening
    Cedric and Ada Gear and Outdoors
    Stefan Schmalhaus
    Gideon’s Tactical (sometimes)
    Advanced Knife Bro (for fun)
    Dutch Bushcraft Knives (for fun)
    William Collins

Prester John, MTHall720 and slyraven like this.
  3. MBG

MBG

May 21, 2020
    I usually watch a couple of videos, read a couple reviews, and try to find some forum posts about any problems the knife might have.

4. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    From time to time I will watch a video, but for the most part it almost has to be with the sound turned off. Annoying voices, annoying gestures, and annoying people that think they are much funnier than they are when they are being "clever" cause the presenters to ruin their own video.

For me, the best thing about watching a video is to see an "in the hand" shot., and to see specs from guys that actually measure while shooting. Different manufacturers measure different ways to determine actual blade length, I like to see fit and fit and finish, and where the knife sits in the hand when gripped.

So most videos are of no value to me, but occasionally one hits the right target points.

Robert

Prester John and DangerZone98 like this.
  5. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Depends on the reviewer. For instance, I sometimes watch Nick Shabazz’s videos when I want a better look at the knife and to see how it fits in the human hand. It’s just easier to examine 3D objects in videos rather than pictures. This isn’t a hard rule for me though. If I’ve decided to pick up a knife, nothing stops me.

Then there’s Advanced Knife Bro. Some folks will love his videos and I can see how some will be irritated by his style. I LOVE his video reviews.

6. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Every single time. I'll spend hours watching reviews before I buy anything.

7. Addicted_to_Knives

Addicted_to_Knives Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2018
    I do and have been 99% satisfied with making buying decisions based on Youtube videos or info here and my perception on it.

Only one f**k up was the Dutch Bladeworks - Xerxes. Watch Nick Shabazz video on it, loved it, once it arrived and opened the box I flipped it about 100-150 times and hated it. The knife was not at all what I expected in terms of ergos, hand feel, etc, but this happened only once. All other times I've been 100% happy since before researching a knife or info video I already have a good idea in terms of specs and knowing exactly what type of knives I like and prefer. For example I like flipper that run on bearings or PB washers 0.3mm thick on titanium framelock or backlock, I hate liners, spyderholes, no jimping knives, slippy horrible flippers, I am ok with thumbstuds, I like my blade 0.14 inch or thicker and I like supersteel tanks made of Elmax, M390, CPM 20CV, 3V, CPM M4, CPM S110V, S125V (if you can find it), REX 45, S35VN, 10V, etc... So when I find a knife that meets my likes and preferences I already know 50%+ that I will either like it or love it. With review videos it helps me to discover small details and also hear what other knife guys have to say.

Reviews are very helpful and helps users to make sound financial decisions in regards to their knife purchases. When you feel that for each $1 you spent for your knife, you got minimum $2+ worth of quality knife and service warranty customer care = that's a win in my book. This had been my personal experience with Hinderer knives, Paragon Knives - Asheville Steel, Benchmades, ZTs...

Making wise financial decisions is important. Buying a knife is like a short-term marriage with your tool. So use all the resources available to make the best decision.

I've been very lucky and happy getting positive comments from my Youtube subscribers regarding watching my review videos and then making a buy decision. Some did mention they don't care about the 5 and 7 minute long reviews, they only care about the specs and close-up looks of the knife. That's how they make buy decisions. So I am re-arranging my videos and also putting out some 1-2 minute closeup specs only videos. Everyone has their own decision-making process.. These videos just widen your visual perception as a user.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  8. elde66

elde66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Always, but with a jaundiced eye.

9. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Absolutely

10. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    I do not watch movie before reading the book :^)
    Same here, I watch video reviews sometimes, but long long time after purchase :^D

11. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Not really. I mean, most likely I have seen a review of a knife before I buy it but that is just because I consume a lot of knife content. Mostly these days I watch the "what's new" videos from @KnifeCenter and @BladeHQ, so I see a lot of new stuff that way. In particular, knifecenter's videos are good because Mr. Andersen goes through a lot of knives in the same amount of time most reviewers take to do 1 or 2. Gives me all I need to know and see.

Now, after I buy a knife and when I am waiting for it to get to me is when I take the deep dive into watching detailed reviews. Helps quell the anticipation.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    grybsh7 and Crazy Canuck like this.
  12. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Rarely. I seldom watch any kind of YouTube video unless it is how to fix something. I like knives but I really don't mind buying a new knife just because I feel like it and I don't really depend on other people's views (to make a buy decision). I do take into account what people say on the forum and often it is a post that directs my attention to another knife I haven't considered. I really don't worry about it all that much.... if I buy something I really don't care for, I just dump it in my knife tub where it likely will not see the light of day for a long time.

13. Blackf77t

Blackf77t

May 20, 2020
    I am the same way. I watch knife reviews for entertainment, but I also take my own preferences into account. I like Nick Shabazz, Slicey Dicey, and Metal Complex. I agree with Nick on a lot and he is entertaining (vaseline factory and murdery are classic), but I think he places to much value on knives being small and light weight for my taste.

Knives&Lint likes this.
  14. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Sometimes I do, but mostly a list of specs and dimensions and pictures of the shape tell me all I need to know.
    Videos, to me, seem to be fairly biased a lot of the time and you hear more about how a knife feels in their hand.
    I don't know...maybe I have weird hands but having someone tell me how a knife feels in their hand has never been of much value to me.
    Like I said, I can usually look at the shape and specs and tell if it's going to fit in my hand and cut well.
    Usually when someone says the texture of the handle material is too rough for their hands and pants I ignore it, because I have callouses on my hands and
    my work pants are pretty tough, besides that I really don't care if my work pants get frayed a little bit.

15. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I do, especially if there's information about how the knife performs in use (edge retention testing, hotspot identification, construction problems, etc). However, I find that the vast majority of "reviewers" do a pathetic job, so I tend to only watch videos from a few trusted accounts.

16. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Absolutely never, and as a teenager when this sort of stuff mattered to me I could not afford knives anyone would actually want to review.
    If I see something posted here on BF's that interests me I may ask whatever questions I have about it, and with those answers decide if I'm still interested enough to buy one.

17. MTHall720

MTHall720 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Usually I DO watch because I am looking to see how easy it is to open, how heavy it is (like heavy and big ones), And I want to see how loud it locks up for folders. I am one of those few who love loud knives. I also love the sound of mechanical watches and clocks ticking in the background. It would please me if I could say I am charter member of the living fossil club

Prester John likes this.
  18. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Always.

MTHall720 likes this.
  19. Boombats

Boombats

Mar 21, 2010
    I do, and I have saved a lot of money and aggravation by doing so. I have lusted after still images of knives and then lost my wood once I saw them in the hands of a reviewer. I have to see a couple for reference though, because some of y'all have tiny paws! Just don't go down the wormhole (too late) otherwise the money saved gets spent on new desires.