1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Don Hanson III, MS ~ Rob Connally's Four "Goldies" Collection

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Caleb Royer, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Doug C

Doug C

Mar 15, 2005
    Rob,

BIG time congrats on this assemblage of Don's masterful work, just fantastic !
    Your images show their impeccable brilliance superbly, Caleb.
    Thanks for the thread. :thumbup:

Doug

2. rickmenefee

rickmenefee

Jun 26, 2005
    Don - Please try harder

3. r connally

r connally

Jan 26, 2008
    As Don would say "thanks for the kind words everyone"!!!

The path to these knives started in the 60's and 70's when I was flipping comic books and cars (not literally on the cars). Started with some Marvel comics in the late 60's, sold collections, graduated to original comic art then cashed out.

Same with cars. Started in 1979 with a $200 68 Cougar, rebuilt it, sold it for $500 (the kid who bought it from me burned it to the ground by messing with the fuel system on a hot engine). Went to a broken down 69 Camaro SS (Wish I still had that car!), worked on it, sold it, got a Datsun 240Z with lots O' rust, fixed it up, sold it...and so on.

Have also used this approach in the past with motorcycles. Collected watches and did the upgrade thing but no way could I work on them. Any one of these endeavors is time consuming because doing it right takes a lot of education and knowledge with the items you are working with.

Promised the wife that all hobbies would be funded by hobbies. Work leaves me little time anymore so I stopped the previously mentioned journeys. This group of knives ended my 12 year upgrade process with motorcycles (No bikes to ride anymore :() and the comic book/original art run that started so many decades ago has been sold off.

Great memories of bruised knuckles from wrenching (you could actually work on cars back then!), making some money from The Death of Superman series (I know, I wandered from Marvel to DC for that one), to my knife collecting fascination and the hunt for this set.

Again, appreciate the comments from so many collectors and makers I respect so much!!! Thank you Don and Caleb for your work to make this real for me. Coop, I did not forget you. If you're okay with it, I'd like you to shoot this set. The art of photography is executed in very individual and personal ways. The perspectives of the photographer show themselves in the final product and to have multiple perspectives on this set would mean a lot to me.

Hummm, maybe I will attempt to write a piece for publication.

4. Burton Harruff

Burton Harruff

Oct 1, 2007
    Wow! Fantastic work and great pics! Very inspiring.

5. silvercrank999

silvercrank999

Oct 2, 2014
    Unbelievable. Those belong in a museum. Quite possibly the nicest specimen I've ever seen.

6. SugarSkulls

SugarSkulls

Oct 15, 2014
    "I love gooolllllldddddd!" -Goldmember (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Wow, those are beautiful works of art.