1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Dozens of folders...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TRfromMT, May 7, 2019.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Have culminated in this:

20190506_213025~01.jpg

There have been several threads lately about consolidating, downsizing, and appreciating the value and use of fewer knives. These threads have really resonated with me.

I don't think I have ever had more than 10 folders at a time, but I've rotated through several dozen. Some stay for weeks or a few months, others for as much as a 6 months, lets say. A couple only lasted a day. The collection at one time included another Shiro. I've had ZT's, several Spyderco PM2's, 5 or 6 CRKs, 3 Hinderers, 2 Benchmades, and a few others that come to mind.

These 5 represent what I've distilled my collection down to. The GB2, Inkosi and Shiro are keepers. The Slippy and Southard are keepers for now, unless I consolidate further.

What does your distilled collection look like?

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    I think that bunch^ is great selection and covers all needs! Nice one.
    Have you also done the same and downsized your fixed blades?

This thread also resonates with me. I am also in the middle of downsizing and only holding onto my absolute favourite folders and fixed blades.
    I am still figuring out what those will be, but I have decided on at least some of them.

I plan to eventually own about 3 fixed and 3 folders once I have tried out all the options that appeal to me, and figured out my utmost favourites. l am almost there.

I onced wanted to collect as much as possible. But living more simply and having less has become desirable to me.

Sharp & Fiery and TRfromMT like this.
  3. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    @XtianAus my fixed blade collection is ever changing. I only have a very limited number of keepers, and most of my fixers exist to support my handle making hobby. I usually keep a fixer as long as making scales for it holds my attention. This is a completely unorthodox criterion for a fixed blade, I realize, and not typically considered in any collecting/consolidating discussion.

Keeping a fixed blade for my "use" is completely foreign to most folks here. Maybe a sheath maker has a similar view?...

XtianAus likes this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Nice accumulation at the present. I like the concept of downsizing in terms of knives owned, but I am very slow to act. I don't attach a great deal of value to the majority of my knives and selling takes effort. I feel differently about firearms, but the concept remains the same. I probably have a dozen knives on my desk at the moment and another dozen on a book shelf in the same room. These are the knives I am currently interested in and may use.

5. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    [​IMG]
    There a few I have that are not pictured.

TRfromMT likes this.
  6. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    This is all I have for modern folders at the moment. Use to have more : two more XM-18s a 561 an Adamas Delica ZT 566 ZT 630 and a Benchmade grizzly ridge plus with several budget folders.

I do miss the 561 may get another or just an XM-24. Do plan on adding a Hogue HK exemplar and the new fde s35vn pm2 with the dlc blade. 2FB0A6FA-D422-4C14-B1EE-951A1E4D3FE9.jpeg

Hogue and TRfromMT like this.