1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic Drilling glass?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by A.McPherson, Jun 17, 2019.

1. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Pretty much completely unrelated to knife making but does anyone have any tips on drilling glass?

Proper bits and all that...

Would it be easier to just use diamond abrasives on a dremel?

2. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i used to collect antique bottles. some people would drill a hole in the side of them to run lamp cord through and make a lamp out of it. from what i have heard, they just put a piece of tape on the glass to keep the drill bit from slipping, and twist it by hand. yeah stone or diamond might be better.

3. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Use a carbide or diamond coated bit, like would be used for tile. Water as a lubricant and coolant is a really good idea. Yes, for 1 small hole, diamond abrasives on a dremel would probably be best.

Not sure what kind of glass you're drilling, but if it's tempered, drilling a hole will almost certainly shatter it.

Scaniaman likes this.
  4. MBB

MBB Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Make sure the glass is not tempered, first. After that, use diamond tip bits with a guide (because it will skate all over the place) and running water (if possible) to cool the glass. I've drilled 3 or 4 aquariums using this method and have had good results. The cheap Chinese diamond bits on Amazon work just fine and I've never broken the glass I was working on.

5. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks guys, I’m making a wind chime out of some glass yogurt jars for my girl.
    Like this one...

C5843625-84DC-4338-A66D-8FFDEC2BAD63.jpeg

Hengelo_77 and running bird like this.
  6. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    I used a variety of drilling methods. Small holes using a spearpoint carbide bit. Larger holes using a copper edged holesaw and grinding paste.
    Others using a grinding point. Lube and cooling are critical. Water or vegetable oil worked fine.
    The break thru is the dodgy part, down pressure must be controllable.

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    What you want is a diamond core drill. It cuts a circle out of the glass instead of trying to grind the hoe spot aay. Chipping is much less likely.
    The best way is to make a ring of putty around the hole area and put water in the reservoir. Drill slowly with gentle but steady pressure. Lighten the pressure as you finish the hole. A cordless drill is just about the best tool for these tasks.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Dril...7f9ebdf6404fe39876029659fec7d3&frcectupt=true

8. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Cheap chinese diamond bit, fill it with water.

Slow speed, not 2,000 rpm

Weight and string from a drill press handle to apply steady light pressure.

9. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Like this one ? I never tried them on glass but they work on ceramic . . .
    [​IMG]

10. MBB

MBB Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2014
  11. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Yes, those are the ones I linked. They work great. My friend makes custom lamps from all sorts of antique and odd glassware and used the same ones to drill all his holes. He used to use other bits, but hasn't broken a piece since he switched.