1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

drilling thru 1/8" 12C27. ...

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by nezpercelands, Oct 7, 2013.

1. nezpercelands

nezpercelands

Dec 16, 2009
    I'm almost ready to put a handle on a Scandinavian blank, but there is no hole for a brass pin to anchor the handle to the tang. I lack the proper equipment for annealing, and without annealing, peening the end over isn't an option. Any suggestions? Could I hire a machinist to do it? Getting a hole in a previous blank took several drill bits and an awful lot of time on my Dad's drill press; a process I'd rather not repeat if possible...thanks for the help!

2. egally08

egally08

Oct 19, 2012
    You can pick up a full carbide bit to do it.

Also, it can be done without carbide. Just make sure you go slow speed, use lots of lube, and clear the chips often.

3. nezpercelands

nezpercelands

Dec 16, 2009
    If I can't find a full carbide bit, I ll use the drill press....this time with lube. Thanks, egally!

4. J. Hoffman

J. Hoffman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2011
    I was recently taught a tip on drilling through hardened steel, and I didn't believe it until I saw it work. Get a Masonry drill bit in the size you need. Masonry drill bits have a small carbide tip. Crank your drill press up as FAST as it will go. Clamp the piece down. Make sure you wear glasses and protective clothing because hot chunks are going to go flying. Use heavy pressure and don't let up until the hole is done. It puts a very nice hole in a hardened piece of steel.

5. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    get a solid carbide drill bit from ebay and be save. It can be used again
    Use a drill press and make sure the drill and the steel meet at a 90° angle. Just a bit off and the drill bit will shatter