drop point vs clip point

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Rsmith_77, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Ferahgo

Ferahgo

Mar 6, 2014
    Why not both :D Seriously though, I think that there are better uses for either blade, but having both would be a handy option. That way you could decide which blade would work best in everyday application.

Xr6x likes this.
  2. Kevin Wabiszewski

Kevin Wabiszewski

Apr 29, 2020
    It doesn't get much more versatile than drop point and it's always been my favorite. It's what I carried in the Marines and I have a lot of experience with knives. I actually put together a long guide on the 26 most common shapes along with their use cases if you're interested. https://www.marineapproved.com/knife-blade-types-shapes/

Wannabe Rambo Guy, marchone and GeofS like this.
  3. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Welcome, Kevin! Very cool article. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Crag the Brewer likes this.
  4. Crag the Brewer

Crag the Brewer

Oct 18, 2018
    ….Fishing from the Depths.
    haha

GeofS and Xr6x like this.
  5. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    A closer comparison might be drop point vs spear point.

GeofS likes this.
  6. YellowSwiss

YellowSwiss

Sep 28, 2015
    I likes me clip points

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GeofS, d762nato, Xr6x and 1 other person like this.
  7. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Clip point for me. They just look better. The fine tip is useful at times. I’ve not broken a tip off a knife yet. I like other shaped blades for some jobs, but the clip point is just beautiful in my eyes.

GeofS and Makael like this.
  8. Wasty

Wasty Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2015
    For me a Clip point without a swedge is the most beautiful. Very pointy without giving up strength:)

GeofS likes this.
  9. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    I cannot abide a concave clip. Straight clip eats your lunch.
    But as Opus says... "To each, his dentifrice". ;)
    I straight-spined my 15, my 17, and... well... had my way with a kephart (see other mod thread).

1066vik and GeofS like this.
  10. Student762

Student762

Mar 7, 2014
    Honestly I've never had the need to drill a hole with a knife's point. Am I missing out on some vital bushcraft technique here? Is it common in a type of trapping or something?

GeofS likes this.
  11. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    bow drills, hay keys, spoon/cup/bowl carving, field made bucksaw, splinter removal........

GeofS likes this.
  12. YellowSwiss

YellowSwiss

Sep 28, 2015
    I also like a finer point for dressing game, detail work and just generally poking things. Plus, you never know when you might need to stab a big scary cobra-velociraptor hybrid that attacks late at night.

GeofS likes this.
  13. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    A clip point is useful for hunting....

...As a pig sticker or if you're really a good ol' boy redneck, wrestling alligators with your bare hands and nothing but a giant Bowie knife.
    Yee-haw!

I prefer drop points. Better for skinning without a pointy tip that could pierce when unintended and stronger for batoning.

I did put a clip point onto a BK11 and it thinned the tip out for a better point on an EDC that didn't really need to be that chunky and already had a rounded tip.

turbosquirrel likes this.