Dyson Vacuum Had Better Suck

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Shann, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    After many "hints" from my wife, I broke down and got a Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner. Darned thing cost 500 bucks!

Supposed to be very good for pet hair, which is a problem at our house.

I'll file a report next week. (Its not really her XMas present, but since it cost so much you can bet I'm wrapping it and putting it under the tree!)

2. Bronco

Bronco Moderator Moderator

Feb 25, 2000
    I remember this topic coming up here before. If I'm not mistaken, I think the general consensus was that most owners were happy with its performance.

3. lizardman_u

lizardman_u

Nov 28, 1999
    I also bought a Dyson animal for my wife this spring, and let me tell ya it can suck a hairy ape bald. It is great for animal hair and is so easy to use that even I vaccuum once in a while.

Dave

4. WhitleyStu

WhitleyStu Keep'em scary sharp!!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 8, 2006
    Since the Dysons are not self propelled, how are they to operate? I am used to a self propelled Hover and it has me spoiled. Need a new vac so I am interested in your opinions.

5. btboone

btboone

Feb 8, 2006
    I love my Dyson. I like the way all the tools can be used in different configurations and the overall well thought out design. The suction is amazing, so the only problem is it likes to eat rugs that are not nailed down.

6. irish317

irish317

Nov 1, 2006
    Best vacum out there my loves it.You will be amazed how dirty your carpet is until you vacum it with the dyson.I bought my wife one last year for Christmas and she loves it.So I got off cheap for Christmas this year I bought some Dyson attachments for it.I'm the best santa Ever

7. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    We have a Dyson, and it is the BEST vacuum we have ever had. And we had a $1,500 Kirby vacuum.

8. roughedges

roughedges

Oct 3, 2004
    I grabbed a reconditioned one off of amazon for $350. only difference is a shorter warranty. BUT, the thing is great. I never knew my carpets were that dang dirty! Total nastiness.

The thing works.

9. billyp

billyp

Oct 21, 2002
    i have one too, and really do like it. my only complaint in the hinge on the bin(bottom one that swings open to empty it) is weak and broke on ours the first day we had it. other than that no complaints.

if you have a big lots in your area you might want to check there, i got my dyson for 160.00 from there.

good luck.

billyp

10. macdo

macdo

Jan 20, 2006
    Don't want to rain on your parade but the Consumers Association here says there may be a reliability problem:
    "Dyson has a long history of poor results in our surveys - it has been bottom of our rankings since 2001."
    Miele and Panasonic top their reliability surveys and Miele gets a top performance rating as well.

11. ERdept

ERdept Banned by Moderators Banned

May 17, 2005
    I hear a lot of hype, but in reviews it's just above average, with other brands/models rating higher. But, that's only what I've uncovered upon researching, because it's a fairly large expense that's going to stay with you for a while.

Glad to hear it works well. I have a Filter Queen. Almost bought a Kirby, but they're REALLY expensive, great old school looks though.

12. J. MacDonald

J. MacDonald

Jun 8, 2000
    We've had ours about a year and it's done well for us. It does a much better job than the "Wind tunnel" vac that we had before. We have an Alaskan Malamute dog that produces more hair than anything you've ever seen. The Dyson is the only vac we've had in 15 years of Malamutes that didn't choke in six months.

13. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I've been hearing mostly positive things, with enough negative comments to know that its a good machine, not perfect. Its also a little expensive. I'm happy, though, because I found a 20% off coupon and bed bath & beyond honored the coupon and took 100 bucks off my credit card.

14. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    They work very well. We went through a half dozen vacs (some as expensive as the Dyson...) in as many years before getting the Dyson Animal. It does a fine job on animal hair.

15. devo55

devo55

Oct 15, 2004

We'll be doing the same thing in a week or two. We have Lab hair everywhere, much to my frustration. Hope it works well cause it sure is expensive.

Jeff

16. Totally Judy

Totally Judy

Dec 3, 2000
    Okay, since we're talking mostly dog hair......and the dogs mentioned thus far have lots of hair but not lots of LONG hair.....

Does anyone have a long haired dog and use this Dyson? I have Lhasa Apsos and they are in full coat (to the floor). I always have a problem with hair getting wound up around the beater bar, and then the beater bar slows down and the belt burns up.

Frustrating as all get-out.

Thanks,

Judy

17. FoxholeAtheist

FoxholeAtheist

Apr 7, 2003
    I got a high-end Kenmore based on the Consumer Reports tests of vacuum cleaners, and it does a bang-up job on our carpets. For what it's worth, the Dyson Animal is 13th on the list, below a $60 Hoover.

My dad bought a similar one to mine a while back, and it picked up tons of lab hair that his Kirby failed to get. For the price of a single Kirby, you can buy 5 of the vacuum CR rated the highest.

18. lizardman_u

lizardman_u

Nov 28, 1999
    hey, Kirby makes a great vacuum, if you just want to look at it (yes they are pretty), but they make a much better boat anchor.

My wife loves our dyson animal, I got in on a no interest for a year deal at sears, heck I even get in the mood to vacuum once in a while

19. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    TMI, Dave. :D

20. lizardman_u

lizardman_u

Nov 28, 1999
    Guyon, you word twisting, misquoting...!!! oh never mind I will save it for W&C:D

good one almost spewed my carrots over the screen of this nice gummint computer I am using.

Dave