EDC knife for girlfriend?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Smiling, May 20, 2020.

1. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Her current EDC is SRK-C and she's carrying it in her purse...

My friend recenty got Esee 3 as EDC and she was present when he had shown it to me. And she really liked the orange micarta hande.

She right away tried to trade her SRK-C for his Esee 3, he refused.
    Now she wants a knife similar to his Esee 3, but not Esee 3 since someone else already has it so it's not cool (I don't understand logic behind this).

Or she would like colorful handle for her knife (I told her it'd cost as much as new knife)...

Any suggestions? Preferrably something with smaller handle, large blade and colorful. This maybe sounds silly but that's what she wants...

Blackf77t and DangerZone98 like this.
  2. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Listen, time to put your foot down. You're the man of the house, time for her to take the hint:

Get her a smatchet.

:D

3. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Serious answer though, starting with a question:

What does she carry a fixed blade for? Self defense, she cuts a lot of things during the day, purse-prybar, doesn't know there are plenty of folders out there that would probably do the job, some other reason?

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but the answer to this question WOULD alter the suggestions you get.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  4. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Well:
    Purse prybar
    Attention seeking when she pulls it out
    Possibly self defense (she puts her hand in purse and holds the handle of it when she's passing next to suspicious people she said)

She already broke one fixed blade, I told her to get something 5mm thick if she wants to pry so she bought herself this. SRK-C is solid knife but rather large for EDC in my opinion. But she has a purse so concealing it isn't an issue...

Quiet and DangerZone98 like this.
  5. rizza32

rizza32

Mar 23, 2020
    Well my wife’s edc is basically my old edc that I’ve moved on from and not worth selling anymore. Either way she’s satisfied with her broken in benchmade

Smiling likes this.
  6. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    My current EDC is a screwdriver because my knife is still not getting delivered... so I might even use her old EDC if she buys a new one LOL

strategy9 and rizza32 like this.
  7. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi Smiling -

Based on the "she broke her other fixed blade" and she liked the Esee - perhaps you should watch the sales threads here for a Swamp Rat Mega Warden - they are being delivered now (mine comes tomorrow) - but many people will sell knives after they get them due to whatever reason.

I can say the Mega-Warden is a knife she won't break, it will give her confidence, and you could either wrap the handle or just let her use it "commando" style.

Good luck - and best regards -

mqqn

Smiling likes this.
  8. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I pocket carry this one (pictured with Ritter G2-mini, for scale)
    DSC_0041.JPG
    Only a 3.25" blade, though

AndreLinoge, bigsurbob and termite like this.
  9. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Thank you for the tip, it looks like something she could like :D

I could also tell her to look into Esee 4 since my friend has Esee 3 so it's different knife tehnically and she likes larger blades I'd say.

10. termite

termite Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Nice. What is it? Just bought my better half a mini Ritter just like yours. Told her that she'd earned an upgrade after showing that she's taken good care and carried several Dragonfly/Delica models. Must admit though...I'm having trouble forking it over. They're really sweet.

11. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    *Buck Vanguard
    *Buck 117/102 depending on size preference

Honestly I agree with the Busse/Swamp Rat suggestion if she really has problems breaking fixed blades.

12. Blackf77t

Blackf77t

May 20, 2020
    Boker Mermaid is big, cheap and will definitely get attention. Your girlfriend should check with a lawyer on the laws about defending yourself with a knife.
    [​IMG]

madcap_magician and bigsurbob like this.
  13. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Budget?

Did she break the previous fixed blade by prying with it?

My first thought was a Guardian 3 or 3.5 but those run close to $200.

I hate to be that guy, but I hope you/she understands your local knife laws. I hope a knife in a purse is legal and not subject to a concealed weapon violation.

Again, depending on the budget, you could always have someone make a colorful handle (G10, micarta, or fancy wood) for this. Sheath might not work with handles tho. Linked to BHQ for easy reference.
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--TOPS-Knives-Jensen-Survival-Tool--10784

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Blackf77t, bigsurbob and Lee D like this.
  14. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    If the E3 is liked but not wanting to copy, I like the suggestion of just grabbing something bigger or smaller. I'd probably point first to the Izula 2, or even the Izula with added scales. I often go smaller. Today I've got the little Candiru w/ scales dropped in back pocket. And the chunky 0456 in front. Also often have an Izula (usually without scales) in back pocket. With no scales, it's so thin just disappears. [​IMG]

(jeff), Smiling and Lee D like this.
  15. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    My GF really likes her Spyderco Para 3

16. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    How about a colored Izula or Izula 2?

CanadaKnifeGuy, Smiling and Lee D like this.
  17. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Victorinox classic sd in translucent pink! <3

Smiling likes this.
  18. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Just something to think about without knowing where you live or the local laws ... her carrying a 5" blade concealed in her purse may be a big no no. You may want to check before deciding what to get.

Lee D likes this.
  19. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Yeah, she used previous fixed blade to pry. And she uses current one for it too.

And she can legally carry a fixed blade if she has a reason for it. But that fixed blade has to be single edged, double edged blades are considered not a tool but a weapon. And knife must be concealed.

Self defense with it is legal. But you have to prove that a knife is your tool that you had to use as a weapon, because if you say your primary purpose of carrying it is self defense you could have some trouble.
    Izula or Candiru are definitley good options. I'm only scared she'll find that small or thin for EDC.

I almost want to tell her to get Drop Forged Hunter and wrap the handle in something pink, it's 4 inches long and still thick enough to be used as a pry bar.

I'll have to see it with her.

20. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    Is this the same girlfriend that threw and pried with her last knife?

If so I'd say a nice cheap Orange Mora. :D

Smiling likes this.