EDC knife for girlfriend?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Smiling, May 20, 2020.

1. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    That “attention seeking” bit is concerning. Knives are tools meant to get jobs done efficiently, not for showing off to strangers or acquaintances. There’s nothing macho about carrying knives. But perhaps I misunderstand. I trust you know her well enough to keep her out of trouble.

I also hope she knows what “possibly self-defense” means. Knives are lethal force. Knowledge on what warrants lethal force is invaluable. Catcallers are dipshits, but lethal force in that case is not necessarily justified. De-escalation and tactical retreat are generally better ideas, but that’s for another conversation.

Forgive the long intro, but I had to get that out first. From your description, it seems that she needs a Becker BK2. It’s fairly inexpensive, the warranty is good, and it has a solid reputation for being tough as nails.

Halfbaked94 and Smiling like this.
  2. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Becker BK16 with Micarta scale upgrade. It’s a great design and comes with a decent two snap nylon sheath.

It really is one of those knives that does a bit of everything.

Plus Ethan and Ka-Bar stand behind their products.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  3. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    The BK10 is a solid option too. It’s thinner, has a thumb ramp, and is clip point instead of drop point. If a smaller knife is called for, the BK16 might be a better choice.

I absolutely love my Izula, but I’m not sure it fits her criteria. It’s not the best self-defense tool nor is it a dedicated prybar.

MolokaiRider likes this.
  4. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Nice, I was just thinkin’ about Beckers. :D

Halfbaked94 and MolokaiRider like this.
  5. MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    Here is another option that’s even less expensive than the BK16.
    8AF61DE6-272B-4B5B-91A9-2E9A91E98920.jpeg

6. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Yeah, same girl. But Mora looks like kitchen or "dishwasher glove" knife to her :D

DangerZone98 likes this.
  7. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Nice shot. Is that the Dog’s Head Utility knife?

Smiling likes this.
  8. MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    The BK16 after strip, sanding, and Micarta upgrade.
    7ABA830C-B68B-4806-B0CA-2C5EC8132428.jpeg

9. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I also like the BK2 suggestion :D

10. MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    USN Mark 1. Also available with a polymer handle and sheath.

Smiling and DangerZone98 like this.
  11. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    You know what, just go nuts and tell her to buy an Espada XL or a Chaos Bowie, just for giggles. LMAO jk bro.

Smiling likes this.
  12. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    If there's a chance the person may possibly use the knife to pry, I would either gift, or insist they purchase and carry a pocket pry tool. Many available from small to large, cheap to very expressive. I carry a little Boker Pry seen on the far right of following pic. Have found myself using it more times than I would have guessed, so it has earned a permanent spot on my keychain. Side note, I can say the exact same thing about a little flashlight. So I now have a pile of them. Current is this little Drop AAA Copper in the pic.

[​IMG]

For those that do find the need to pry more often and cut a little, (I know people that is a thing for them...from insurance reps to investigators), there are versions of sharpened Prybars. Like the Boker Cop Tool.

[​IMG]

And while I would never pry with a traditional knife, there are plenty of Chunky Monkeys out there that could probably take it in a pinch. A bunch that I have, again in the Boker line, starting with....drum roll please.....the Pry-Mate. :D This sucker is on something like 7mm stock.

Pry-Mate, Pry Mini, & Gnome
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or it's cousin, Boker Plus BOB, also on monster thick stock.

BOB & Bobbie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or a chunky with color, the Tunnel Rat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for going a little overboard....I do that sometimes. :)

13. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I'm not a fan of Mora design myself so I get her here....

She remembered that my friend said he wouldn't mind if his Esee 3 was smaller so it's easier to carry for EDC... aaaand now she wants to get Esee Candiru and trade Candiru + SRK-C for his Esee 3 (which now makes sense because those 2 combined are the same price as Esee 3)...
    His Esee 3 has green coating and screaming orange micarta handle, and now she intends to buy pink or purple Candiru in case he decides not to trade with her, but he actually seems interested into that offer which is just... I'm out of words.

This is getting ridiculous and I don't even know what to say to them anymore. I hope they're just trolling me...

DangerZone98 likes this.
  14. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Those seem like they're made for prying lol :D

15. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Doh, wait!! This was for a girlfriend, right? Better just stick with something pink, blunted tip, and built-in whistle.

[​IMG]

:D:D:D

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  16. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    She can always go more colorful with a TOPS Lioness, too, though she might want to pair it with a pry tool....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

DangerZone98 and Smiling like this.
  17. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I agree, she'd probs snap this.

She already said she doesn't want to turn her purse into a tool box when I suggested pry bar... she wants 1 tool that does everything.

She's a difficult person to deal with...

18. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
  19. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I agree that it’s getting ridiculous. Based on what you’re sharing with us, she doesn’t seem to have a concrete choice of knife yet. Why the need to have to trade with your friend? Just get the knife you want directly.

Smiling likes this.
  20. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    That’s the most American image I’ve seen all week (in a good way). :D

MolokaiRider likes this.