1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edge Pro Issue

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by ssblood, May 24, 2011.

1. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    So I tried to sharpen a Kershaw OD-1 today. It wasn't getting very sharp at 600, still could not shave, was push cutting paper fine and under 60X I saw no burr. Sharpie also says I'm hitting the edge. When I went to the 800 stone it looked like the knife was actually shaving off part of the stone. Little pieces of clay everywhere. The stones have just been lapped on the sic on the edge pro leveling plate. I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong!

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. MikeJackmin

MikeJackmin

May 13, 2007
    Is it possible you are twisting the stone a little? If the edge of your knife is chattering against the corner of the stone, that would explain the chips, and the unsatisfactory edge. Can you see where the chips are coming from?

Also, be sure to use a light pressure when applying the stone to the edge, just a couple of ounces. I usually finish with a few strokes using just the weight of the stone itself.

FWIW, I have found that it takes a lot of effort sometimes to really hold the blade still while I am working on it, especially when I am working near the tip. If the blade shifts around even a tiny bit, it can make it very hard to get a decent edge. Try changing the way you hold the blade in place with your hand - sometimes I'll even put my thumb on top of the blade, and work the stone around it.

3. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    It was shavings from the stone, not the blade. I think its the blade rocking. Not doing real well on anything that is not FFG. Tried the thumb thing, just isn't much to hold on to. Suppose you can't sit a hollow ground blade on the hollow part can you?

4. HAKnPocket

HAKnPocket

Mar 2, 2008
    I hold hollow ground blades against the hollow side. I figure its still going to be even on both sides as long as I do my part. Its the small blades that give me problems on mine. But i just go slow and try not to screw up.

5. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    Ok, if I hold the knife on the hollow grind do I lift the knife a little at the tip? I notice that the tip area is raised off the table a little bit. Personal preference? How much of a difference would it actually make?

Thanks
    David

6. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Snap a picture of how you are holding the knife on the EP.

7. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    Here ya go. These 3 steps enough?

[IMG=http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8885/imag0120g.jpg][/IMG]

[IMG=http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8787/imag0122k.jpg][/IMG]

[IMG=http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8483/imag0121t.jpg][/IMG]

8. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    That is much more movement than what I've done. I leave the blade in one spot. I just sharpened my Umnumzaan and it was a PITA, because of the belly. Don't twist the ball (hard to do as it's almost unavoidable) as you near the blade tip. What you have in your pictures is exactly how I sharpened mine. :)

9. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    Do you leave the belly hanging off the front and the tip off the side then?

10. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    Yes, I did move it once though. I skipped the step in picture 2. I ended up getting as much of the belly as I could from the first position, then I rotated after the small burr formed. It took like 1 hour because I was being super careful and deliberate. It's harder sharpening a $400 knife than a $50 knife :D

11. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    Yep, I'm quite nervous :) Thanks for the help!

12. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    Well, I did the big no no and stayed on one side till I got a burr. Uneven bevels now. Damn thing will POP hairs coming off the 120 though! I'll get over the uneven bevel in a day or three :)

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  13. Gunny Bob

Gunny Bob

Jan 21, 2006
    I've found that lots of practice with dirt cheap knives helps immeasurably in getting the hang of it all. Once you do get your groove on, you'll be surprised on how much easier it is and how sharper and cleaner your edges are.

14. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    You could have stayed on the other side until your bevels evened up again.

15. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    I figure when I chip it, and I know I will, I'll take care of it then. I don't suppose it's even a problem because of this. My first several knives turned out fine this one just intimidated me pretty bad. Metal flies off with the 120 and also seemed like it did it faster on this thank the cheap kitchen knives.

16. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    The softer steel might be a factor, but the 120 stone is always hungry.