1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Emergency and survival gear for your car.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Edwood7, Sep 26, 2011.

1. crazyengineer

crazyengineer

Apr 2, 2011
    I have the normal jack, etc....

i have a roll of paper towels, a fishing pack rod and tackle box (which has a leatherman in it), a matchete (soon to be replaced with a decent one), a SOG tomahawk that i use as a utility axe

there is gonna be a lot more put in when i get back from college, but since my space is limited, i will have to build a kit that will fit under seat./behind the seats with the sub

all the stuff that yall have has given me some great ideass

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Klutz

Klutz Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2011
    There are great suggestions here. I carry many of these items in my ever changing vehicle bag. One thing I always have is my Cold Steel Shovel. I have used it to chop wood, dig snow, sand, dirt, from under my tires. It's a cheap and reliable tool.

3. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    My EDC is as follows, in a backpack/my pockets:
    ESEE HEST
    Glock 34, two spare magazines
    4Sevens Preon 2, set of spare batteries
    Victorinox Mechanic
    IFAK, I'm not going to cover all of its contents here
    Cell Phone
    Ranger bands
    ESEE Fire Kit
    vaseline-soaked cotton ball
    storm-proof matches
    Sharpie
    "NASA" pen (kind that writes wet/no gravity/etc)
    25' 550 cord
    Locking, weight-bearing carabiner
    Steri-pen Adventurer Opti
    Poncho
    lightweight fleece hoodie
    Dust mask
    Rite in the Rain pad
    Work Gloves
    Chem Lights
    Pocket Reference
    ESEE survival cards
    Map of the area(s) I frequent/route home
    Handcuff key
    Trioxane Tablets
    10 feet of duct tape
    picture-hanging wire
    Heavy-duty zip ties
    Energy bars, five hour energy
    Emergency blanket (reflective kind, but one of the better ones than what you see at wal-mart)
    Kubaton (to be swapped for a collapsible)
    Cold Steel Pepper Spray
    House keys
    Laptop

Things I keep in my Ford Ranger:
    Car gun (SKS, chest rig w/200 rounds of ammo in Tapco 20 round magazines), on plate carrier and first line belt kit
    Wrecking bar
    Gas mask
    Casualty blanket, really heavy-duty
    Larger first aid kit
    More ammo (a lot more, six loaded magazines) for the Glock
    Hack saw
    cordless drill
    spare work gloves
    voltage meter
    electrically insulated gloves
    Bow saw
    A few folding knives
    Olight M20-S warrior
    300' spool of paracord
    climbing rope
    ESEE-6
    Spare batteries to my Preon II
    Spare batteries for the O-light
    Brown contractor's tarp, lines, pegs to be set up off the back of the truck
    Adjustable wrench
    Box of nails
    Hammer
    Spare spark plugs
    Motor oil
    Jumper Cables
    BOB (Large ALICE pack)
    Mountain House Meals
    More energy bars
    More 5 hour energy
    Sharpening kit
    Come-along
    Jack
    Solar charger for tools, laptop

The only pertinent part is the last half, which is all stored in a lock box bolted to the trunk or in the lock box in the back bench seat.

4. SaturatedShadow

SaturatedShadow

Apr 28, 2010
    I carry a general survival kit as shown in this thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/836687-The-Goody-Bag-System?

Along with this, I keep a bag of tools and a small storage container with vehicle specific gear: jumper cables, emergency flares, weather radio, tire changing tools, work gloves, and a Missouri atlas.

I also keep a few jackets and a change of clothes.

5. ThePointyEnd

ThePointyEnd

Aug 14, 2011
    My wife and I both carry BOB's plus water and car repair tools, jumper cables, maps etc. We most often tap into the FAK's in the BOB's for headache or heartburn remedies. but it's also nice to know that in case of a breakdown, or short notice - spur of the moment camping trip. we are good to go as well.

6. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    I have a long commute from my rural home to my urban job, and have stashed some stuff in the trunk in case I find myself stranded with the vehicle or having to walk far.

In a 35l Marmot Aspen backpack, I have the usual stuff that you would take on a three or four day hike:

bivy shelter
    3 or 4 MREs (old - ought to be replaced)
    FAK
    tarp
    paracord
    Mora 510
    Condor Hudson Bay
    SAS tin kit
    mess kit
    butane cartridge stove
    alcohol stove
    extra clothes
    TP and hand sanitizer
    fire making supplies
    drum liners
    AMK Heetsheet
    USGI canteen
    water filter
    water purifying drops
    sleeping bag

The pack and bag are kept in garbage bags to protect them. I once had a good pack ruined when a bottle of oil spilled all over it back there.

Elsewhere in the trunk is a flat of water (regularly used and replenished), more extra clothing (warm), and a pair of hiking boots.

For the car, I keep a bottle of oil, some bottles of yellow Heet, road flares, spare bulbs, fuses, and jumper cables.

In the console is a flashlight, multitool, CLiff bars, maps, and a toiletry kit.

7. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    A subscription to AAA.

8. Brad "the butcher"

Brad "the butcher"

Dec 15, 2008
    Behind my seat in my toyota 4x4 right now

5pc spin/fly combo rod with a little quantum and an altoids size assortment of spinners, spoons and flies. All in a little hardcase.
    coldsteel shovel, fiskars slidesaw, CS Gi tanto and a leatherman in the glovebox.
    small toolset from costco with 2 visegrips, roll of ducttape and electrical and a small spool of electrical wire(boat trailer repair etc)
    jumpercables, little electric tirepump and plug kit, leather and rubber grip work gloves
    full change of clothes, raingear, toque/gloves and a pair of neoprene gumboots
    complete level II St Johns first aid response bag minus the oxygen, did years of firstaid
    fleece sleeping bag, wool blanket and 3 towels(black lab)
    Small mec potset with some soup mix etc inside.....plus a can of chili and puritan stew. 1can dogfood and 6cups dry in a plastic bottle.
    large golf umbrella and a tarp
    2litre water and a couple cans of v8
    headlamp and handflashlight with spare batteries
    a few other odds and ends

all this stuff is in a rubbermaid behind my seat and leaves half the backseat for the dog or passenger

I am always going off fishing/exploring and it is nice to be able to spend impromptu nights out with the stuff I have.
    Really quite compact the way I have it.

9. Coldwood

Coldwood

Jun 5, 2006
    Yep, got that too. I plan to get back on the road moving, not do a survival exercise on the side of the highway.

10. crazyengineer

crazyengineer

Apr 2, 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that keeps a fishing rod in their car (that I have seen)

11. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    in Montana even travel along the interstate you can easily find yourself in a survival situation, on our secondary roads you could really be your own!

I keep one of those small action packer in the back of my car

a well stocked first aid kit
    2 AMK Thermolite bivys
    2 AMK heatsheets
    2 extra jumbo heavy mill trash bags
    2 Sea to Summit Reactor sleeping bag liners
    2 large beeswax candles (these last a long time and can heat the inside of vehicle pretty nicely, they'll melt snow as well)
    1 700 ml pot w/ an Esbit stove, 4 Esbit tabs, Bic lighter
    a two part avalanche (read snow) shovel
    Fiskars sliding saw
    2 headlamps/spare batteries
    12 16 oz bottled water
    8 Cliff bars

I carry a full size spare (in lieu of the provided donut), jumper cables and a pretty complete tool set (includes wire, zip ties, duct tape)

in my jockey box I keep a small fire starting kit and a folding knife

12. wingman115

wingman115

Apr 19, 2011
  13. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Your confidence in AAA, in any possible conditions, is touching.

14. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    Ha. good joke.

15. Erasmus

Erasmus

Jul 15, 2002
    With the changing seasons, this thread is a good idea to get the wheels turning.

I suppose we all drive well maintained, reliable vehicles?!

My truck has mostly behind the seat:

-Flares
    -Fiskars X7
    -old battery operated Sierra Stove
    -surplus wool blanket
    -xtra TP
    -jumper cables
    -E-tool
    -assorted pliers, screw drivers, 3/8 ratchet, 3/8extension, fuses, battery terminal brush...
    -near useless Sierra Cup
    -folding saw
    -spare one piece rifle cleaning rod
    -Gerber multitool
    -xtra SAK
    -magnesium bar + butane lighter + wooden matches + mish metal bar
    -FAK

This is all just stuff that lives in the truck 24/7. For each trip, I tailor and customize the loadout to be mission specific. This frequently includes:

-2 Xtra axes
    -chainsaw chaps
    -complete hunting/fishing/backpacking ruck
    -5gal. water cube
    -alcohol stove
    -corn nuts

16. foxx

foxx

Sep 5, 2010
    Erasmus is the first person I saw that has flares. Sometimes survival gear does nothing to prevent another car from hitting you if on the road. They only last 15 minutes or so, but that's precious time to either move your car, move away from your car, call 911, or get help.
    Autozone even sells them, easy to get, and well worth the $6 for a 3 pack.

17. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Full gas tank

18. Erasmus

Erasmus

Jul 15, 2002
    I figure the flares will be handy for scarey freeway breakdowns when you can't get far off the road to change a flat...

A secondary use is as a fire starter. If you need a fire really bad, you can lay the lit flare under just about any wood of any size, and it'll catch. Think of it as the nuclear flamethrower of fire starters. Saw an Alaskan guy on the televisor who used them for this, if he broke through river ice and got really wet on his snow machine, he could throw a road flare on any old bunch of wood, have a fast fire, and not have to die from exposure.

You never know, and they're cheap.

19. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    Jumper cables I usually have. In the winter, extra gloves , socks, hat, blanket.. stuff to keep warm. I always have my knives , ropes , hatchet,fire making stuff,,, things that I play with. Its not like I live in Idaho .

20. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    A small medical kit is something I should have. I might have to make one or buy one. Get a cheap tackle box maybe and head to WalGreens.