Engraving with Hebrew Text

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mbezkrov, Oct 16, 2020.

1. mbezkrov

mbezkrov

Oct 16, 2020
    Hi all,

I'm looking to have a CIVIVI Elementum engraved. Does anyone know someone who can engrave Hebrew text onto the blade (the manufacturer can only do English characters)?

Thanks,
    Moshe

Yo Mama likes this.
  2. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
  3. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    Old school engraving usually involves brass letter sets, which get traced and copied by a ‘press’ of sorts (don’t remember the exact term, as it’s been 30 years since I worked in a trophy shop). I would be very surprised to find anyone with Hebrew brass sets, short of maybe a very old school Jewish jeweler.

I don’t know how Civivi is doing their engraving, but I suspect it’s actually laser etched. They can’t do Hebrew characters, because they just aren’t loaded into the software. I imagine, if you find someone local to you who can do laser etching, they may be able to load a Hebrew font and go from there. OR... they may be able to take the Hebrew as art (like a jpg image) and etch from it, just like how many makers etch their marks on a blade.

4. The Aflac Duck

The Aflac Duck Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
  5. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I also recommend @WValtakis without hesitation.

6. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
  7. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    You might find a Jewish owned jewelry store that can do it, as well. Hebrew is so differently formed, and goes in the opposite direction of most modern languages, that you will need to check and double check that it is correct before the engraving is done.

Heirphoto and WValtakis like this.
  8. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    It won't help you with the Civivi but here is what Benchmade did for me

[​IMG]

MayHemAndHaw, Steven65, BBW and 6 others like this.
  9. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Pretty sure by law you have to tell us what it says.

Yo Mama and AntDog like this.
  10. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Moshe, if you know any Rabbi’s? Ask them, They may have a Jeweler they know from Temple etc that could do this kind of engraving for you? Shalom!

BBW likes this.
  11. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Absolutely! The first is a "chai" inside the Star of David. Its saying "to life" like l'chaim.

The second more involved engraving is the 3 Fold Benediction also known as the Priestly Blessing, translated many ways through many faiths it is:

"The LORD bless you and protect you!
    The LORD deal kindly and graciously with you!
    The LORD bestow His favor upon you and grant you peace!"

Or the version I like best:

"May G‑d bless you and guard you.
    'May G‑d shine His countenance upon you and be gracious to you.
    'May G‑d turn His countenance toward you and grant you peace.'"

My Mother got me the blades as gifts, i had them engraved, something I'll treasure always.

jux t, MayHemAndHaw, AntDog and 8 others like this.
  12. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Very cool, thank you! My friend, who is a pastor, says a very similar version when he prays for people.

XtianAus and Yo Mama like this.
  13. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    A belated Shana Tova to you.;)

Rhinoknives1, BBW and Yo Mama like this.
  14. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Definately! I love hearing that, it has so many versions and meanings that you end up finding it in many faiths.

unwisefool likes this.
  15. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    To you as well! This year was weird. Services on YouTube while sitting on the couch was nice though. :)

[​IMG]

ruddyduck, MayHemAndHaw, BBW and 2 others like this.
  16. Aaron880

Aaron880

Apr 20, 2019

17. Aaron880

Aaron880

Apr 20, 2019
    I’m sure that Yo Mamma knows this story, but there is an interesting and very ancient tradition governing the recitation of the Priestly Blessing ( a/ka the “ 19 Words” , in Hebrew),in Jewish worship services. First, the Blessing may only be recited by members of the “ Cohain” Tribe, hereditary paternal descendants of Moses’ older brother Aaron, the first “ High Priest” of Judaism. Note that “ Rabbi” translates as “ Teacher” , not “ Priest”). Today, in Europe, the U S, and the Middle East, their last name would likely be Cohen, Katz , Kane, Kagin or a similiar derivative

Recent scientific research has identified a Cohen maternal RNA marker, in ~35% of Cohaniam, a very large percentage in scientific terms. It can be traced back, thru that RNA, about 3,500 years. In every Jewish community on earth, even in those long separated from mainline Jewish populations in Europe and the Middle East, e.g. the Black Jews of Ethiopia,; the Lemba in Southern Africa; and Beta Israel from the Indian sub-continent, this caste exists and is ~ 8% of the community, often among community leaders. The Cohainium
    were not a separate Tribe, they existed as a kinship group or caste , within the “ Levi” Tribe of assistant priests. Even more recent genetic research has identified a Levi genetic marker, as well.

In the European tradition, the Priestly Blessing is recited upon the congregation at only 3 High Holiday prayer services each year. ( In Israel, it it recited on every “ Shabbat” ( sabbath) . At the appropriate time, the Cohainum adult males are “called” to the raised “Bema” ( stage) , after they have washed their hands. They lineup , facing the congregation. They throw “ Tallit” ( traditional prayer shawls) over their two hands ,raised over their heads , their hands forming a benediction position with a V between the 3rd and fourth finger, thumb separated, but with both hands , thumbs aligned and touching [ the system will not allow me to print the emoji ] , also averting their own eyes with bowed head. In a call & response fashion ,the Rabbi calls the prayer and the Cohainium recite the Priestly Blessing. Metaphorically, the “Light of the Lord” shines between the Cohainium’ hands , onto the congregation, as they recite the Blessing. At the time the Cohainium cover themselves with their Tallit, the rest of the Congregation stands and turns their back upon the Cohanium, as the light of the Lord will blind mortal humans. It is a brief but very moving ceremony, of very ancient heritage.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    MayHemAndHaw, unwisefool and Yo Mama like this.
  18. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    I was relieved to see the vowels, I struggle to read Hebrew without them.:D

Yo Mama likes this.
  19. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Don't feel bad, id be lost without them!

Steven65 likes this.
  20. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Many many years ago I used to cut lettering at a monument company in a largely Jewish community. We often had to do Hebrew lettering and only took wording written out by a Rabbi so there was no question about the characters and spelling. I would not use a shop unfamiliar with Hebrew and only using some software program to hopefully translate your wishes.
    Find a Rabbi to write out what you want before having an engraver do the work.

Yo Mama likes this.