Enlighten me to another brand.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ditch-Tiger, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Ditch-Tiger

Ditch-Tiger

Jan 20, 2018
    I do.

Basically my "good" collection consists of
    BM-
    Contigo
    Rift
    REI exclusive Pardue
    940 Cabela's exclusive
    Barrage
    Griptilian

Fantoni HB01

Spyderco -
    PM2
    Enuff

Steel will Mudus D2

Eese Izula2

Buck vanguard S30V Cabela's guide gear

Gerber 06 auto s30V

Knives of Alaska cub bear D2

2. Ditch-Tiger

Ditch-Tiger

Jan 20, 2018
    That's kinds what I thought and since I own a few S30V, the S35VN wasn't a real selling feature of the ZT.
    I'd like to check a few boxes but I really wanna try a "super steel" with a good/trusted heat treat.

Basically, I kinda want to get my hands on an M390 or S110 with a good flipper and/or frame lock

I'm probably asking for caviar on a tuna fish budget. Lol. But it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

3. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    So you have the contego in m390 from knifeworks? The cheapest 20cv with framelock I could find was an 804cf for $200-215; kershaw has a dividend liner lock for $80 but the handle is too short. Check the exchange.

4. Ditch-Tiger

Ditch-Tiger

Jan 20, 2018
    No, standard contigo in M4.
    It's a nice knife but BIG. I wouldn't want a 2nd one cause with its size I don't carry the one I have near enough.

5. sgt244

sgt244 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I just ordered a contego for work... Need a big knife + the glass breaker is a nice feature imo, never know when it may come in handy.

6. Ditch-Tiger

Ditch-Tiger

Jan 20, 2018
    So I just put my hands on a ZT 0450ti. I have to admit i liked it more than i thought i would as it's a little on the small side. I wanted to hold the 0460 but the store was OOS.
    I know it doesn't check the steel box but it is a nice flipper/frame lock.
    Thoughts on this model? Is the 0450cf nicer? What about the 0460? Should I hold one before pulling the trigger on a 0450?

7. David35DP

David35DP

May 27, 2017
    I love my Spyderco Warrior (H1 steel: Never Rusts, made w/ Nitrogen, like Busse’s steel) & Jumpmaster II (H1, too)!

8. TheTourist

TheTourist Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Please let an old guy offer some insight. Yes, I come here all the time and often I would buy the "latest and greatest" knife. I finally came to the conclusion I was buying knives for you, not usable tools to make my life better.

I now carry a 29 dollar Cold Steel folder because, duh, I cut stuff. It opens quite easily with one hand, it was "utility sharp" but a few strokes on the Edge Pro made it 'toasty,' and most importantly, this is the first folder I can easily open from my "off hand" side.

In short, I bought the knife I needed. This is a very important concept. I often met guys who bought a Harley because I had one. Why should anyone buy a 1,000 dollar show-off knife just for a hobbyist forum? If you bought a nine-dollar knife and posted, "Hey, Tourist, this is the knife I really needed!" I would be the first one to compliment you on a great choice.

The only guy you need to impress is the ugly mug in the mirror.

David35DP and Kabancheck like this.
  9. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    This.

Viper makes terrific knives. The Italo literally checks all your boxes. All Ti construction. M390 framelock on roller thrust bearings. Sculpted Ti handles. Flipper tab and Thumbstud. Sexy curves. Around $200

their Novis front flipper is also fantastic. M390 modified wharncliffe Blade; Micarta, roller thrust bearings, around $135

these knives are far above SPYDERCO quality IMHO

02A98E64-4196-4AD0-98CA-84DBC88DB538.jpeg 6EBBC59C-3DC1-4DAD-B212-C8391C70AD15.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Gary W. Graley and David35DP like this.
  10. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Dude ZT has a huge price drop going on right now!! Get em' while they're hot!!

Also you could buy multiple Two-Suns knives or Tuya knives. I've had a few and were blown away by the quality to be honest.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    David35DP likes this.
  11. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Very few ZTs are assisted. Their sister brand, Kershaw is usually assisted. There’s a very big difference between a ZT and a Kershaw. ZT is known for their impeccable flipper action (not assisted).

12. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Trying to gauge a size preference from the responses here. These are all roughly 3 1/4" - 3 3/4" and in the ballpark of your price range. They all excellent. Style and blade geometry preferences are yours.

Massdrop Laconico Keen
    Real Steel Megalodon Ti
    ZT 0450CF

And scan the sales forum here https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-folding-knives-individual.892/

13. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    This is a zombie thread from 2018. I'm sure he found his knife by now.

Ditch-Tiger likes this.
  14. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    That’s beside the point. Resurrected threads engage new people. The subject is still salient to some.