Esee 5 or Becker BK2?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bsmith_shoot, Oct 2, 2012.

1. NYOutdoors

NYOutdoors Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I did send the BK2 in. And yes, I've since had a few other small issues with Ka-Bar's knives, including a BK&T or two. Just my opinion that the premium you pay for ESEE knives is worth it. Like I said, nothing against Becker knives, I own several, I just wish their manufacturer was different. Curious that my BK12 Ritter has had absolutely none of the issues that any of my Beckers have had...I wouldn't be surprised if it was because it was manufactured by Rowen.

2. rickc71

rickc71

Dec 29, 2011
    Bk2 and Azwelke kydex. And you'll probably still have some cash left. I wouldn't trade my well used BK2/Azwelke combo for a new ESEE5 if that tells you anything.

3. bsmith_shoot

bsmith_shoot

Jun 6, 2012
    Thanks for all the info folks! My treks into the brush are normally between 2 and 10 days. We do a lot ofhiking into remote areas, setting up camp, and do some fishing, hunting, and trapping. With all the info you guys have given me, I think I'm gonna go with the BK2, make a good kydex sheath, and possibly form some new grip scales if I don't like the stock. Thank you all for the input! Is there any other relevant info I might need before my purchase?

4. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Start saving for your next Becker purchase?

I'd have said ESEE purchase if you'd gone for the ESEE 5. Both are rather addictive. Also, drop on by the Becker subforum and say hi when you get your new 2. And don't forget to post pics!

5. Saymon

Saymon

Jun 18, 2012
    Two great knives. I have both but prefer the BK2 to be more comfortable to work in hand.

6. bsmith_shoot

bsmith_shoot

Jun 6, 2012
    Just placed the order for 2 BK2's. One to work, and one to customize. Thanks guys!

7. GODSPEED TACTICAL

GODSPEED TACTICAL Banned BANNED

Feb 24, 2011

I see you already chose the BK2 and whichever way you went I'd say "Great choice". As pointed out the ESEE-5 is higher because of what it comes with... a good way to look at it is the BK2 comes "basic" and it's up to you how much you want to spend on it where ESEE just makes it simple for ya.

ESEE-5: 150.00ish

BK2: 65.00ish
    +40.00 Micarta scales
    +40.00 Basic Kydex Sheath
    = 145.00 (+shipping for the above two items)

The BK2 "hurts" less up front, the ESEE-5 comes with a great "system" (pouch, clip-plate, molle-back, Kydex sheath etc.) but you can get a Bk2 setup anyway you like when you opt for a custom Kydex sheath and it will also surpass the stock sheath for the 5....... for example:

[​IMG]

or....

[​IMG]

I've got "Grivory" & "Micarta" scales on my Beckers and I like them both... the Micarta definitely looks better but I've got no problems with the grivory. The sheath just flat out sucks but it's "servicable".

Eli

8. bsmith_shoot

bsmith_shoot

Jun 6, 2012
    Eli,
    I'm interested in kydex, for my user of the two I ordered. I was wondering though, what are some mounting option that are available, that would allow me to transfer the blade from hip carry, to pack carry, to horse, and to atv? I'm making this blade my outdoor user. I just want a plain and simple sheath, but need a mounting system that will allow easy transfer between all my methods of travel. If you got an answer for me bro, ill owe ya one!
    Thanks,
    Brandon

9. nuts 4 knives

nuts 4 knives

Oct 4, 2012
    my vote esee im getting the e6 very soon the warrenty is whats got me i like to have something and not need it then need it and not have it

10. MATT CHAOS

MATT CHAOS

Feb 5, 2012
    I like both knives. They both have a lot of pluses. I'd go with the BK2 and get a kydex sheath for it or make one. This is based on the price. ;)

11. diced

diced

Sep 26, 2012
    I like the BK2, I have several that dont see much action. I also like the condor Rodan which is very similar style that you can beat the crap out of and not feel bad. I have been very impressed with Condor products as beaters. They come with nice leather sheaths and usually some minor grind issues but are 1085 Carbon steal and I think 3/16 thick instead ou 1/4 but again just a stout chunk of indistructability like both the Esee and BK2, but can be had for $30. They are usually sharp from the factory hold a giood edge and have a large round handle which seems ok to me. If it was the end of the world and I had to choose I would go with the BK2, But if you just want to go mash stuff and not worry about K-bar denying a return based on abuse, I say try out the condor they have lifetime gaurentee too.

12. GingivitisKahn

GingivitisKahn

Jun 8, 2010
    stumps me too. get a ...

[​IMG]

---

Beckerhead #42

13. dcbowtecher

dcbowtecher

Jan 21, 2010
    Becker BK2!!!! Enough said....